Recommendation wanted

Scan the list of restaurants reviewed by members, post new reviews, discuss food topics, post your favourite recipe.....

Moderator: Moderators

Karrie
Rank 4
Rank 4

Recommendation wanted

Post by Karrie »

Can anyone recommend a restaurant for lunch in the Argeles area please? End of May -Somewhere that you would feel confident to take guests as a treat? :)
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

In St. Andre restaurant "Le Table de Cuisine" gives a very nice lunch or evening meal.

http://www.latabledecuisine.com/

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

I agree with Blackduff but up one notch is La Bartavelle in Argeles itself.

http://www.restaurant-labartavelle.fr/
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

I've never eaten at La Bartavelle but I know quite of friends who eat there and they say it's great.

On the other hand, Le Table de Cuisine does have a Michelin award for their lunch meals. It's something like BIB or similar.

Both would please somebody's taste.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
mand
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mand »

I've eaten at La Bartavelle , it's very good but a bit pricey so depends on what sort of budget your looking at if treating friends, they did 2 menu's €25 and €35 euro's, So with drinks it came to over €200 for 4 of us.

I also enjoyed La Gamate on route national menu's start from €18, La table de cuisine is also very good as mentioned but it's not in Argeles, Again not the cheapest of restaurants but excellent food.
Madge
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Madge »

Hi,
We're new to the Forum but been around the PO for a number of years. Although not 'foodies' we enjoy eating out very much. La Table de Cuisine is nice but small and, like La Bartavelle, has no outside eating area. If the weather is good and you want a shady terrace we like Au Remp'Arts in the old town area of Elne. The food, and house wine, is lovely and well priced, both for lunch and dinner. After you've finished you could take a stroll round the narrow streets of the old town or a visit to the cloisters and cathedral. Other favourites of ours are L'Ancienne Ecole in Palau del Vidre - really beautiful food, nice terrace - and also Abalounge in Port Argeles, can't beat sitting with friends looking out at the boats on a lovely day/evening. Wherever you go, enjoy!
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Hi and welcome to the forum Madge. Interesting for the one on Port Argeles, as there are so many packed together, that it's difficult to make a decision and pot luck when you do. We used to like El Papalonas for good food at very reasonable prices, but think it went down last year, and now appears to have closed for good, so good to have another recommendation there.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Kate according to Smiley G's recent resto update Papalonas has changed hands and reopened/reopening as Le Rest 'Eau
Dylan
mand
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mand »

Sue wrote:Kate according to Smiley G's recent resto update Papalonas has changed hands and reopened/reopening as Le Rest 'Eau
Where is Papalonas?
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Argeles Port. Coming from The Plage by car head towards The Port, over the bridge on the right there is a small car park across from the car park is a small square forming an entry to The Port. Papalonas (now Le Rest 'Eau) is on the lefthand corner.
La Casa Del Port is next door or almost next door. This too has changed hands.
Dylan
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

The key phrase for me was "Somewhere that you would feel confident to take guests as a treat".

I wouldn't feel confident taking friends to anywhere in Port Argeles.

I've yet to try Au Ramparts. It was closed for holidays when I last went to Elne. L'Ancienne Ecole is another place I've yet to try.

When I eat out I want to tick some boxes in cuisine, service and ambiance. Preferably all of them. There are hundreds of places here with a decent view and some outdoor space which is nice when its perfect weather and not windy but there are only a few which really make it a dining experience.

On the subject of cost, what do people find pricey? For me a top-end restaurant serving a 3-course meal for 25€ is great value. There are hundreds of mediocre places offering warmed up frozen-food for 10€ a starter and 15€ a main. It costs around 12€ for the most basic fast-food meal.

Meanwhile we have places like La Garianne, La Galinette, L'Auberge du Cellier, La Table de Cuisine, La Bartavelle and La Rencontre offering proper gastronomic menus at under 20€ at lunchtime and around 25-30 €
in the evening.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

I hear what you are saying Santiago but everyone's tastes and pocket are different. What is mediocre to one may be good value to another.
Dylan
Karrie
Rank 4
Rank 4

Restuarant Argeles

Post by Karrie »

Thank you all for the suggestions ; I'm sure we will be able to choose from one of those. I'm assuming it is best to book and it would be lovely to sit outdoors. :D
Madge
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Madge »

It is a matter of personal choice. When we go out to eat we want good food and nice wine, friendly service, a nice atmosphere in which we feel comfortable and prices we feel are justified. The restaurants we mention ticked the boxes for us.
Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Robert Ferrieux »

Suspicious souls that we are, when we go out for a meal we prefer a good pizzeria (e.g. Rimini in Canet Plage, Pizzavenue in St.Nazaire) where the food is prepared in front of you, and you can see that the chef's hair isn't falling into the pan, and other peoples' left-overs are not added to your goulash. Yes, Yes -- it happens!
Helen
redneckrover
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redneckrover »

I have been in the Rimini many times and it is consistently good, also there is a new place a couple of doors away from Rimini called La Cantina which is full every evening even in March and April.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Are these restaurants in Canet?
Dylan
redneckrover
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redneckrover »

Yes, overlooking the fountain in Place Meditrannee in Canet Plage.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Thanks Redneckrover.
Dylan
interiors66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by interiors66 »

I would just like to add my opinion about le table de cuisine in st.andre.
I have always found the food good but the front of house dreadful , the atmosphere matches the welcome , cold.
I have been there at least 3 times and it's always been the same .
I recall someone saying on a previous thread that "you have to get to know her" ??
It's certainly not somewhere I would choose to take guests.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

'Fraid I have to agree with Dave -it's hardly service with a smile. A shame because as already mentioned, the food is very good.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

interiors66 wrote:I would just like to add my opinion about le table de cuisine in st.andre.
I have always found the food good but the front of house dreadful , the atmosphere matches the welcome , cold.
I have been there at least 3 times and it's always been the same .
I recall someone saying on a previous thread that "you have to get to know her" ??It's certainly not somewhere I would choose to take guests.
Often the restaurant is filled later and if you go there before 8:30 pm, it's going to be quiet.

When I moved to France in 1992/1993 I used to eat at the same restaurant. The owner was the 180 degrees with talking to the customers. Graham would continue your whole evening, while you're having a meal. He could "Bore" for England. So, I've have had both choices and Martine pleases my meal without giving a discourse with the owner. The place was called the Happy Hussier.

I do eat there often, since it's very good. But, it's also fairly reasonable. Like many other restaurants, the wine from bottles are expensive and the final amount can be more. I tend to looking for a meal for two for less than 60€ + the wine. The wine from the pitcher is good and cheap but a good local expect +/-20€. Their wine carte does present nice wines from our region and why not try is grown here.

Check the other restaurants you eat, see if you can meet this 60€ range (without the wine). Few of the restaurants we have seen on this thread will beat that price. The Ancienne Ecole in Palau is nice and the food is very good. But, it's not within the range of price as the Le Table de Cuisine. If you drive up to Villelongues, you'll find good food within that price range. This is PierreAnn and it's quite good for your money. I find that I get too much food when I eat there though.

Both Laroque and Sorede have some good restaurants but they're not too cheap. Meals for two costing about 80€, plus wine is past my amount I'm willing to spend on a weekly time.

Before I get off my stump, nobody mentioned Flowers in Argeles. There's a lovely garden in the summer, they have pretty decent food, and you can get a nice salad there during the whole year. Nice owner, great servers, and even there is some Wok system there too. I can get a meal for within my 60€ range I want.

Has anyone remember the Happy Hussier and Graham? A nice guy with a nice wife who can cook good. He never made any money in that place.

Blackduff
interiors66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by interiors66 »

I don't remember the happy hussier( or any other come to think of it) but I do remember " chez max" before Martine , great host mediocre food but the atmosphere brought you back.
Madge
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Madge »

You're right Blackduff. A 3 course meal at L'Ancienne Ecole is 33euro, the 1/2litre of house wine is 5.50euro and very drinkable. Most of the restaurants talked about have websites so you can check menu, prices, see pictures etc before you go.
Like Interiors66, we found the front of house at La Table unwelcoming.
Karrie
Rank 4
Rank 4

Restaurant recommendations Argeles

Post by Karrie »

Thanks for the extra info about la table de cuisine! We are taking our guests to treat them and to say a very big thank you to them for all the support they have given us in France over the last few years, whilst going back wards and forwards to our holiday home, which has just had to be underpinned! The last thing we would want is a 'cool' reception. I think we will plump for one of those with an outdoor area, to make the most of the weather as we will be coming over from the UK. Again thank you all so much for the suggestions. It really makes for a great forum, when you can rely on getting some really decent advice! I will let you know how we all get on after the meal at the end of the month. Cheers! :D
Karrie
Rank 4
Rank 4

Restaurant Elne

Post by Karrie »

Just thought I'd let you know that we took our guests last week to the Au Remp'Arts in Elne. The weather was awful so we couldn't sit outside, but the dining experience was lovely. We were impressed with the service, which was friendly and attentive and were equally impressed with the meal. Thank you all for the suggestion; we felt it said Thank you to our friends in just the way we had hoped. Would certainly go back, especially in decent weather!