Fondant Icing

Scan the list of restaurants reviewed by members, post new reviews, discuss food topics, post your favourite recipe.....

Moderator: Moderators

Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

Fondant Icing

Post by Robert Ferrieux »

All you Kitchen Godesses....help!
I want to make fondant icing. What's corn syrup (sirop de maîs?) and where do I find it? Any other advice gratefully received.

Helen
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

http://www.grouprecipes.com/100523/easy ... icing.html

Try this Helen. I would imagine you may be able to buy the liquid glucose in the pharmacie. Failing this I think I have seen ready made fondant icing at the Asian Centre, Mas Guerido. Good luck.
Last edited by Sue on Sun 31 Mar 2013 10:04, edited 1 time in total.
Dylan
Daphne
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Daphne »

I tried chemists a few years ago to no avail, so hopefully the Asia centre will have it.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

liquid glucose can be bought on both UK and French ebay although more reasonable on UK site even with p & p!
Dylan
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Helen
The best place to get correct answers about food, this Cooks Thesauraus (sp?) always gives a good response.

This is what I found:
http://www.foodsubs.com/Syrups.html

Within this site I found that honey is also close to what you need.

I always remember that my wife has used simple syrup (listed in this link) but it's mostly water and sugar.

Hopes that this works.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Trouble is Blackduff if Helen is making white fondant icing the honey will tint it. Corn syrup is available on Amazon UK.
Dylan
molliesassy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by molliesassy »

You can make a tasty fondant icing wth marshmallows. http://allrecipes.co.uk/m/recipe/25045/ ... icing.aspx
"click, click"
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Sue wrote:Trouble is Blackduff if Helen is making white fondant icing the honey will tint it. Corn syrup is available on Amazon UK.
Sue
Read the whole link I listed. I mentioned that earlier within the Cook's Thesauraus said the honey is close but the link I should gives many more ways of skinning this rabbit. The Simple Syrup probably would work for what Helen wants though-two parts sugar and one part of water.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

This is the specific note from the link I've shown:

light corn syrup = light Karo syrup Equivalents: One cup = 8 ounces) Notes: Light corn syrup is used to make everything from candy to fake blood at Halloween. Substitutes: dark corn syrup (more pronounced flavor) OR simple syrup (make with 2 parts sugar and 1 part water) OR golden syrup OR honey

Blackduff
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

How I read it sugar and water could replicate dark corn syrup but not the clear which Helen would require. I could be wrong. Very often am!!
Dylan
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Sue wrote:How I read it sugar and water could replicate dark corn syrup but not the clear which Helen would require. I could be wrong. Very often am!!
Sue, where did Helen say that she needs "Dark Corn Syrup" in her post? In any case, the dictionary gives the way to use the dark version too.

Blackduff
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

I said in my post she wants clear. The sugar and water seems to replicate the dark which she doesnt want.
Dylan
Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Robert Ferrieux »

WOW ! You HAVE gone to a lot of trouble, Kitchen Gods and Goddesses! Thank you so very much. The sites mentioned also led me onto eHow Foods which show a) how to make corn syrup and b) what to substitue it with. There's a very easy recipe using cream of tartar. Again, very many thanks. Success (or otherwise) will be published anon :)

Helen