66- Almost a Gastronomic Wasteland?

Scan the list of restaurants reviewed by members, post new reviews, discuss food topics, post your favourite recipe.....

Moderator: Moderators

Debbie and Noel

66- Almost a Gastronomic Wasteland?

Post by Debbie and Noel »

I was shocked and horrified when I saw a reportage on FR3 yesterday. There are now only two Michelin starred restaurants in the PO. This is a disaster. Our neighbours in the Aude have three times as many!

Does this lack of choice mean that I should seriously rethink my decision to remain in the PO?

I wonder how many among us have actually dined AT THEIR OWN EXPENSE in one of these temples of culinary excellence in, say, the last five years.

Noel
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

It was very rare in the UK we dined out in any restaurant let alone a Michelin star one and we are just the same here. We much prefer to buy the ingredients and make a nice meal at home with the added advantage of not driving thus being able to have a glass of wine or 2.
Dylan
John & Elaine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by John & Elaine »

I've been to both. The one in St Cyp is overpriced & over-rated (IMHO!) the other is great.

John
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

John & Elaine wrote:I've been to both. The one in St Cyp is overpriced & over-rated (IMHO!) the other is great.

John
There isn't one in St Cyp. It lost its star a year ago. It now has a new chef and is definitely on the way up.

The current 2 are La Balette in Collioure and La Galinette in Perpignan

The region started the year with 4 but La Maison du Terroir has closed and how it ever got a star is beyond me. The chef at Les Palmier handed his back and left for pastures new but I have heard he is back in Laroque

The new list comes out in a couple of weeks so you never know, there may be some new names.

Fortunately we live near to Spanish Catalunya which is awash with them.
John & Elaine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by John & Elaine »

I stand corrected! Certainly, La Balette is stunning.

John
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

I've only eaten at La Maison de Terroir in Maury and was a bit underwhelmed.

Michelin stars are one thing but gastronomy is alive and kicking here. The "macaron" is not just about the food. It's about the decor, the service, the breadth of the menu and the wine list. It costs a lot of money to put all those pieces together and if you don't have a big-spending clientele, there's not much point.

On the other hand, the 66 has a fair number of good restaurants who offer gastronomy without the trimmings required of a macaron.

eg
La Table de Cuisine, St Andre
La Rencontre, Perpignan
La Bartavelle, Argeles
Le Grain de Folie, Perpignan
Thierry Astruc, Perpignan (Agrisud)
La Garianne, Perpignan
Patio Catalan, Thuir

and that's just off the top of my head.

There are loads of others that people have recommended on here that may not reach the peaks of gastronomy but would provide a very pleasurable dining experience.

Before we start moaning about gastronomic wastelands, we need to actually visit our local restaurants. They can't improve with empty tables.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
Satbloke66
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Satbloke66 »

We only live an hour away from the number 2 restaurant in the world, El Celler de Can Roca. 3 stars and the most amazing cullinary experience I have ever had.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

So what if the OP moved to th Aude to be nearer th Michelin stared eateries? next year they could be re judged and dept 09 has the most * retos, go for it! Personally I prefer to eat on personal recomendation, places I bet the "judges" would not even think to visit, go off the beaten track and we have our own jems.
Last edited by opas on Thu 21 Feb 2013 11:41, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

France - A culinary wasteland

Post by Allan »

Never mind the PO, I'm not so sure that at the Michelin Star level, France isn't becoming a culinary wasteland.

Perhaps that is a bit strong but french cuisine seems locked in a time warp and hasn't really moved on since the 1980s. They seem obsessed with the cult of 'The Chef' and overly reliant on sauces. Vegetables just seem to be a smear on a plate.

The list of the top 10 restaurants in the world does not include a single french one.

The nearest 3 star ( the highest award ) restaurant is at Fontjoncouse and is positively ordinary compared with some of those just over the Spanish border.

I agree with Santiago that there are some perfectly good local restaurants although at least one of those he mentioned is like dining in a squat.