Salt

Scan the list of restaurants reviewed by members, post new reviews, discuss food topics, post your favourite recipe.....

Moderator: Moderators

Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Salt

Post by Sue »

What is the difference between sea salt and pickling/preserving salt? Does anyone know if you can by the latter over here?
Dylan
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

I think sea salt is more of a natural, gourmet salt whereas pickling salt could be a manufactured one.

Certainly when I've used various salts on food, sea salt is the nicest. Malden salt from the UK being the best IMO. Fortunately you can buy it locally.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Thanks Santiago. I use natural sea salt in a grinder on the table and unground in cooking but I wanted preserving/pickling salt for pickling some chillies.
Dylan
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

You can use any salt for pickling/preserving. Just get the cheapest. Salt is sodium chloride, a very simple chemical that is the same whatever the source. The price difference is usually a result of higher marketing costs for the "premium" brands. There are sometimes additives to make it freely flowing or to add iodine which is needed for the thyroid but they are tasteless.

Russell.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Table salt contains iodine pickling salt doesnt. Iodine makes the pickling liquid go dark and cloudy that is why I want to use pickling salt.
Dylan
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Sue wrote:Table salt contains iodine pickling salt doesnt.
Not all. It is marked on the package.

Russell.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

I always thought that the iodine in salt is to keep this from clogging in the shakers. It keeps the grains of salt apart. Or, maybe I just remembered what the pub always said.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Robert Ferrieux »

[quote="blackduff"] maybe I just remembered what the pub always said.

I expect the local pub would say "eat more salt" (peanuts, crisps, etc) so that you get thirsty!

Helen F.
ps a few grains of rice in the shaker prevent salt clogging.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Robert Ferrieux wrote:
blackduff wrote: maybe I just remembered what the pub always said.

I expect the local pub would say "eat more salt" (peanuts, crisps, etc) so that you get thirsty!

Helen F.
ps a few grains of rice in the shaker prevent salt clogging.
Actually what I was saying about the publicity, not the pubs. There was a brand in the US called Mortens. They used to say "when it rains, it pours". There was a picture of a girl with an umbrella opened.

I looked more about the iodine, etc. and it's not the product which stops the pouring in the rain. There's another product within the salts. It's a "Anti-XXXXX" but I forgot the name already.

The grains of rice in the shakers were everywhere when I was young.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Here's Morten Adverts with the umbrella girl.

http://www.mortonsalt.com/our-history/h ... rella-girl

I'm sorry but this must date my age a bit.

Blackduff
Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Robert Ferrieux »

Actually what I was saying about the publicity, not the pubs.
Blackduff[/quote]

I know, Mike. I was pulling your leg :wink: No offence..
Helen
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

blackduff wrote:I always thought that the iodine in salt is to keep this from clogging in the shakers. It keeps the grains of salt apart. Or, maybe I just remembered what the pub always said.
Iodine in salt helps to prevent goitre and mental retardation as a result of iodine deficiency in the body. It is needed for correct functioning of the thyroid.

Russell.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

I use nornal salt everyday I only wanted the other to pickle a few very hot chillies!
Dylan