Wok You, Figueres

Scan the list of restaurants reviewed by members, post new reviews, discuss food topics, post your favourite recipe.....

Moderator: Moderators

Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Wok You, Figueres

Post by Kate »

Really impressed!!

Weekday lunch, for 8.90. (not much more expensive weekends and evenings) Eat as much as you want of an enormous range of good quality foods, great selection of appetizers and salads, Chinese buffet, bacon and e gg, fab selection of different sushi made up there and then, seafood, whole fish, (sole, monkfish, others….) octopus, cuttlefish, whole crabs, king prawns ... and various meats (steak, pork, quail….) Choose whatever you want, pile up your plate with raw ingredients, fish meat, mushrooms, courgettes, etc. take to chef who cooks it for you on plancha or in wok ... desserts, fruit, profiteroles, rice pudding, ice-cream, choccy gateau .... Drinks at reasonable price and rapid, pleasant service for drinks!

Really impressed by this as I'm a great believer that we get what we pay for, but this was more better than I expected. Pile up your plate with 20 enormous king prawns and a whole crab and you've had your money's with twice over. Go back and have steak and veggies, sushi, dessert and like us you will keep saying wow every few mins. Trouble is I don't see now they can keep up the quality, which was excellent, at those prices. On verra!

C.d'Italie, 6 Recinte Firal, 17600 Figueres, Spain
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

There is an identical restaurant on Av. du Languedoc almost opposite LeClerc at Polygon Nord. Part of a chain or franchise I think.

Yes Kate, very good food and value for money but not very authentic Chinese.

Russell.
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Admin »

No, you're right Russell. In fact, the Chinese food section was minimal compared to the rest. Didn't know they had one over here though, so that's interesting.

My experience of these 'all you can eat' buffets is not very good. I find that often they look good, but taste doesnt come up to expectations, whereas this one did. Also, my husband Olivier wont eat these type of buffets as he reckons they have probably been out for ages, collecting bugs, and are hives of salmonella and other nasty stuff, but as they cook this in front of you, it reduces this risk enormously.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

It does sound too cheap to be true. You would have thought the raw ingredients would cost you the price of the lunch.

Other than the fact that I tend to stuff myself at these kind of things. The amount of food thrown away is huge.

I read a good quote yesterday. "You don't always get what you pay for but you rarely get what you don't pay for". Doesn't seem to apply to this restaurant though. There must be a catch somewhere unless its a money laundering operation.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

All you can eat Buffet Domaine Treloar, cash only :P

<<<there are plenty of buffet all you can eat restaurants in Spain.
Some are dire, with bulk cheap rubbish on offer, others are of a high standard .
Over the years we have tried a variety with friends. In the main the chinese style make their money on drinks as these are not normaly included.
Another day Kate We will call on you and take you to one of our favorites, not a million miles from where you ate the other day. I did do a write up on this place.
Quality food, wine and water included and even digestive( not the biscuits :roll: ) for about 12 euros.

We have not tried this resto you mention, but as we will be down there next week, I may have to take a look.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Ate at Wok You last night and cant believe the food on offer for the price. King prawns, crab, whole sole, salmon steaks, chicken, pork, lamb, burgers, sausages and steak as well as sushi, stir fry and all made or cooked fresh in front of you. Also numerous salads and vegetables, various chinese dishes, desserts and ice creams. A great deal more too numerous to mention such a mussels, clams, razor clams etc. All you can eat for 8.95€ lunchtime and evenings during the week and 11.95 at weekends. Drinks as in all other restaurants bump the price up and we ended up paying 17€ a head but we certainly knew we had eaten and had the eyes bigger than our belly syndrome!
Dylan
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

We went for lunch today.

I was spoilt for choice, Should I have seafood for starter or carve somejambon and so many salad and veg coices

Salmon steak, flat fish, shellfish a plenty,lamb steak, entrecot to name a few things on offer.
Desert, that was easy for me .proffiterols with caramel sauce and some fresh fruit

Excellent value

You will not be dissapointed, all the raw meat and fish looked fresh and beautifully presented.
Last edited by opas on Fri 08 Feb 2013 19:20, edited 3 times in total.
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Only been the once but loved it too.
Dylan
Sav
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sav »

Never noticed the Jambon until it was too late :roll:
Would go back, has the thumbs up from me ;)

Cheers Sav :)
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

I'm hoping the new one in Argeles is as good or a close second as we can drive there in 2 or 3 mins!!
Dylan
malcolmcooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by malcolmcooper »

The Espace down near the George & Dragon is very good recently. Great value too.
Malcolm Cooper

I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
John & Elaine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by John & Elaine »

We're fans of Wok You and so are several of our friends!

John
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

I forgot to mention, no sign of any woks , only plancha.......one huge one. The plates were lined up with table numbers on them to save a queue of people waiting. It was busy but nowhere near full, I should immagine it could get hectic at weekends and in the holiday season.
Debeneur.
mand
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mand »

We ate there last night really enjoyed it, plenty of choice etc only thing to be aware of is that the prices €8.95 at lunchtime, €11.95 for evenings and weekend, plus the price of the drinks they do not include VAT, so if going there and budgeting a set amount you need to take into account that an overall 10% will be added to your bill, still a cheap meal though.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

We re visited a couple of weeks ago with our girls. I was quite disappointed compared with previous visits.
The Lamb steaks were frozen, so when they went on the plancha ( trading standards would have a field day in uk, not a Wok in sight) they obviously were left there till they cooked, and then were dry. I wanted Salmon, the sign over the platter said 'fresh salmon' there was only a head and tail left.......but it looked beautifully fresh! so I waited and asked one of the kitchen staff for some , there were 3 of us then waiting for salmon, that did not bother me. He arrived and replaced the platter with frozen salmon steaks :cry: I still prefer fish to meat if I have the option and put one in the 'queue' to be cooked, it also was too dry as they did not defrost it first.

Desert was delicious though, strawberries to die for and ice cream filled proffiteroles.

But unfortunately I do not think we will be going back, unless someone tells me standards have improved.
Debeneur.
redneckrover
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redneckrover »

I would have to agree, I was there about 4 or 5 weeks ago and I didn't post any comment because of all the positive comments on here.
To say the least,I was underwhelmed, !
Phipplebert

Post by Phipplebert »

We went there this lunchtime with my parents (they have been over for a week and were heading to Barcelona for a couple of days before returning to the UK).

The food was good and so much choice but we were so disappointed :( .... We chose our food and took it to the man on the pass, my husband and I waited for 1/2 an hour for ours and my mum 1 hour, my dad gave up....it as utter chaos, plates were being loaded onto other plates by the chap organising the pass so some just sat at the bottom for ages. We didn't get a second plate each becaus of the wait, by the time we left there was probably 60 plates stacked un cooked at the pass. Annoyingly some people walked up and chatted to the waiter and their food went to the front of the queue...quite often. I'm not normally one to write a bad review but I don't think I will rush back.