Indulge me - the best meal of your life?

Scan the list of restaurants reviewed by members, post new reviews, discuss food topics, post your favourite recipe.....

Moderator: Moderators

Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Nice post John.

I was a bit surprise that you recommend Les Culottes. I tried it once and thought it was pants :lol:
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
Howard Whatmore

Post by Howard Whatmore »

Robert Ferrieux wrote:
Howard Whatmore wrote:
It's amazing how these threads that have so much promise, soon turn into "I have travelled further than you" or " I have spent more money than you
".

I think you've got a point there, Howard!
Helen
Thank you Helen.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Howard Whatmore wrote:
Robert Ferrieux wrote:
Howard Whatmore wrote: ".

Helen
Thank you Helen.
I don't, I think you posted to stir things up and were intentionally offensive
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

Robert Ferrieux wrote:
Howard Whatmore wrote:
It's amazing how these threads that have so much promise, soon turn into "I have travelled further than you" or " I have spent more money than you
".

Helen
Thank you Helen.

Allan wrote:
I don't, I think you posted to stir things up and were intentionally offensive

I agree, we where asked about our memorable/best meal, I have a few, Fish & Chips on Skeggy beach with our grandchildren, and lunch at The Ritz in Paris, both memorable for different reasons, wasn't quite a case of name dropping, or how much money was spent.
Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change.
Life's too short to be anything... but happy.
Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

Best meal ever…

Post by Robert Ferrieux »

My best meal ever is the one I'll have to-morrow…
R. F.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

I agree Robert ..
Dylan
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

Ditto.. :D
Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change.
Life's too short to be anything... but happy.
Howard Whatmore

Does that not depend on where you go?
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

No more if you are lucky enough to go.
Dylan
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Howard, I note that your memorable meal was not on home shores, unless for you SF is your homeland. Why is your post any more/less boastfull than any of the other well traveled folk on here?

No offence meant :roll:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[quote="Howard Whatmore"]
Quote:
".

As a bit of an anti-climax, ONE of my best meals was today's lunch.
I didn't feel like slaving over a hot stove so My Better-Half & I traipsed to my favourite pizza place in the world: Rimini in Canet Plage, where the waitresses are jolly and the kitchen is impeccable and the pizzas are simply the very best you can find this side of VenteMiglia.
A table outdoors in the warm sunshine, MBH paying me a delightful compliment, and well-behaved little kids enjoying their Cokes around us: bliss.
All this to prove you needn't travel far, nor do you have to spend a lot of mullah to enjoy a fine meal in the best possible company.

Helen
----------------------------------
Helen, If I may be so bold, you really are quite two faced arn't you, on one hand telling us of your trip to snorkel and feed the fish and in the next breath agreeing that we are all out to usurp the last post, then bring it down another level by trying to make out have the simplist of pleasures than any of us.

Please remember that this is not the soap box. And Howard if you want to make mischief please do not do it on here. :oops:
Last edited by opas on Mon 02 Apr 2012 14:46, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
ChristineM
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ChristineM »

At least we belong to the exclusive club Opas, Maternity Hospital meals, there are not many men that can top that. Sisters together.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Christine if you are so anti men how did you end up in a maternity hospital? No offence intended just curious!
Dylan
ChristineM
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ChristineM »

Sue wrote:Christine if you are so anti men how did you end up in a maternity hospital? No offence intended just curious!
Who said I am anti men ? just because all my Ex's were men, that does not make me anti. With training they make reasonable pets :lol:
Howard Whatmore

I merely made an observation and asked a few questions, is that not allowed?

I don't know Helen but she seems to be being treated unfairly.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

But everyone sees things differently Howard just chill, let the world go by and have something to eat. Perhaps the pet loving Christine will cook for you. Happy days.
Dylan
Howard Whatmore

Sue, I have not been anything other than chilled, that's what I can't understand.
Sav
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sav »

ChristineM wrote: Who said I am anti men ? just because all my Ex's were men, that does not make me anti. With training they make reasonable pets
I think i would make a great cat :lol:

Cheers Sav :)

PS: Apologies, carry on :oops:
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Grrr, with all that arguing, no-one commented on my brilliant pun. :evil:
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Sorry Santiago, thought you were just trying to sound like Sav. I think it was missed because of the american/english difference. Americans wear pants on the outside whereas english on the inside. It was quite clever though.
Dylan
Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

Best meal ever

Howard Whatmore wrote:Does that not depend on where you go?
No, its depends on whether you're going at all…
R.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Well, I'm not finished with my best "places" or "Tastiest" or even the "furtherest". This story will be called ANNE BELL'S HERB FARM.

Anne's farm is located about fifty kms from Gibralter. It's found on my road I use to head from Cadiz to Gibralter. Anne and her husband Robert are English. They grow herbs and spices. They also have sheep/lambs, rabbits, and some other animals.

Anne will make a meal for a group, if there's enough people. I think it's six or more needed. Our afternoon meal was lamb and it was very good. I cannot remember the exact details of what we ate but Anne and Robert did all of the work themselves.

The wines were good Spanish wines. The brandies were Spanish too. Cuban cigars are provided for the men too.

We had seven adults and a pack of kids too. If I remember, the price per person was about equivalent as 25€. Some of the kids fell into the local creek, which seemed reasonable.

During the ending of the meal and sipping on the brandies and smoking up the place with the cubans, the radio had the Archers program. Not sure about the program, since I have never listened the Archers but the other people on the group were quite happy for the ending of the meal.

Anne and Robert were quite a few years older than me and this was somewhere 1992. I guess she and her husband are now gone but the memories will stay for some time.

Sorry for those who think it's wrong to tell stories like this. Then please don't click on my next episode for the PO story. Watch this place!

Blackduff [/u][/b]
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

I've thought of another one. When we first came here we got help and advice from a lovely woman called Laurence Geoffroy. She invited it to dinner at her home and it was a really special meal. Very well cooked and presented with some very, nice interesting wines. Her main course was a wild moufflon casserole that had been 3 days in the preparation. It was also memorable becuase her son was engaged to a Japanese girl who spoke no English of French but they conversed in Mandarin. You'd think with all those languages (Rachel spoke about 3 words of French back then) it would have been a disaster but it was a great evening.

Laurence has now turned her home into a sort of restaurant. I'm thoroughly embarrassed to say I've never managed to give her my custom but I've heard some very good things about my friend in Les Hostalets just beyond Montauriol.

http://lepicerie.eresto.net/index.php?l ... t=Contacts
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

My house was finished in March of 1993 but I was still living in Cadiz. I drove back and forth for the next year, until I retired. This evening meal was during this period.

A friend gave me a name of a "good" restaurant near Camelas. She had worked and lived in the PO previously and being a good Canadian girl, she would know things like this. So, we visited the Village Catalan, which was located on the A9. They used to have a tourist office and they showed the Ferme Auberges of this area. Then we were looking a place to have the meal, we decided to use this Ferme Auberge.

I took the road up towards Camelas and found a sign for the Ferme Auberge. I drove down the small road and stopped at a small river. On the other side it was just vines. So, I returned to the paved road and looked further. Nothing more information so I returned the small road and at the bottom, at the river, I could see the Ferme Auberge about 150 meters up this river and then up toward the house. My car was new~I picked this car up in Madrid when I was coming to Sorede. It was a rental car, so I started to drive up the river. I drove up to the house and knocked on the door.

The owner said we would have a reservation, since only food for the people are coming. We talked to the guy and he decided we can eat with him but it will be later. He sent us to tourist the area and come back later.

When we finally arrived and entered, the door opens to the kitchen. We passed the ovens which were cooking the food for that night. From the kitchen we walked up a stairwell to a bedroom and pass over to the main room. There was a big tree burning inside a big fireplace and it was a nice but large place. The toilet was upstairs higher (more stairs) at the back of another bedroom. Both bedrooms are being used by someone normally.

I cannot remember all of the details of the meal but the main item was a small caille or small chicken. There were about eight or nine levels of this meal. All of the meal was home-made, ie, the pies, breads, etc.. Everything was good. There was a bunch of snails presented as well as big long thorns to whipout the snails from their shells. Everything was great.

The aperitif wines were included but I had to select the wine for drinking. I took a wine from Thuir called "TOY". The label had a circular bunch of rings, similar a bullseye. I haven't found this wine again in Thuir. There's a bit of a story about TOY but I never got the whole story.

I left Sorede within a few days and returned to Cadiz. By that time I retired and came back to have another meal. My wife's parents were with us and I started to head down to the river, et al. I was equipped with a Discovery and I was ready.

But just as I started to go down to the river, I met the owner who was driving away. He said he doesn't serve food anymore. The French Government put his out of business as Ferme Auberge. The authorities required he modify his Mas too much. The punters can not be allowed to pass the kitchen on arrival and a list of other changes. He said he will not do this to the Mas. The owner does have anothe restaurant but it's up the mountain. It's somewhere near Font Romeau. He told me to visit his place up the mountain and he will give me a meal with Izzard. I don't think it's allowed or available normally but it did sound nice. But, I didn't take the offer.

Like other stories of my "Meals", it's just part of my memory. It tickles me to see other stories from the other posters. It's too bad some people think the forum is something more serious.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Santiago, Laurence herself hadnt lived in Japan had she?
Dylan
Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

----------------------------------
Helen, If I may be so bold, you really are quite two faced * arn't you, on one hand telling us of your trip to snorkel and feed the fish and in the next breath(same breath, surely...?) agreeing that we are all out to usurp the last post, then bring it down another level by trying to make out have the simplist of pleasures than any of us.

Yup - I'm a Gemini ! * :wink:
In case anyone could care less, our trip to New Caledonia was generously paid for by our stinkingly rich son, and our meal at the Rimini in Canet was paid for by my scandalously underpaid husband (or, more probably, by our bank, considering it was near the end of the month ) :(

HF
ChristineM
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ChristineM »

[quote="Robert Ferrieux" (or, more probably, by our bank, considering it was near the end of the month ) :(

HF[/quote]

:lol: :lol:
“The surest way to be alone is to get married”

Gloria Steinem
mrob343
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mrob343 »

Whatever happened to that fish 'n' chip van that used to tour the P-O..?
Their meals were pretty damn good ! :D
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

mrob343 wrote:Whatever happened to that fish 'n' chip van that used to tour the P-O..?
That was Tina's van but I cannot happened. I think it was a van problem more than the fish.

Blackduff
Sav
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sav »

mrob343 wrote:Whatever happened to that fish 'n' chip van that used to tour the P-O..?
You just can't keep away eh :lol:

Cheers Sav :)
Howard Whatmore

Well said Helen. :lol: