Finding a good steak.

Scan the list of restaurants reviewed by members, post new reviews, discuss food topics, post your favourite recipe.....

Moderator: Moderators

john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

malcolmcooper wrote: This is a good discussion. No one's falling out.
This thread is in danger of developing a third strand...this time about semantics !

But yes...a bl**dy good discussion about a subject dear to all our hearts...nosh. And,as you say,no-one falling out.

I have this mental picture now of opas and Outie stalking the Paris Metro rounding up sheep.

Not sure if I want to go there..........
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

I should put that vision right out of your head John.........Catalan is hard enough to understand but Parisian! :D

Picture this, forgetting to put a woolie on(no pun intended) and visiting Metro Grand st Charles.........you think its cold in Ceret, its cold enough in the chiller dept in there to freeze your watsits off .......apparently it makes to ladies look better though, according to Outie of course :oops:

I expect the metro card application site to crash in a while!
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Is Metro what they call Makro in Britain ?
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

I have no idea, its a cash and carry for wholesale purchase.
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

That's what Makro do in UK. Do you need a card to shop there, à la Matalan ?
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Yes and a business.

I must confess that we pop in if we are up there and look if there is anything good on promo. in the main i do not think the prices can beat the supermarkets , the TVA is added on at the till.
Debeneur.
Rose
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Rose »

Malcolm said no-one was falling out.

That's because there's nothing at stake :lol:
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

That's because it's rare that we meat and have burger all to say.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Rose wrote:Malcolm said no-one was falling out.

That's because there's nothing at stake :lol:
Yes,Rose,and even if we did disagree we could always meat up at his chop and sort it out.
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

or he couldn't give a sausage.. :wink:
Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change.
Life's too short to be anything... but happy.
Colin L

Post by Colin L »

Allez les bleus?

The best steak ever not just in the PO was at L'Aramon in Pézilla under its previous owner and chef, François Galabert. Fillet cut not as a flat piece as I find it at home, but in a cylindrical shape. Cooked to utter perfection often with a marrow bone. I progressed on successive visits from à point through saignant to bleu I enjoyed it bleu but decided it was just too rare to be repeated (sorry about that).
He was so punctilious that he once sent steaks to the table for us with the message that he thought he had overcooked them and to be sure to say so and he would do other ones. He had, we said, and he did.

Sadly François sold up and to this day we don't know what he is doing or how to get a chance to taste his delectable cooking.
Last edited by Colin L on Wed 27 Jul 2011 23:51, edited 1 time in total.
redneckrover
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redneckrover »

Yes a very interesting discussion for steak lovers. I'd like some opinion on my original point about where all the Irish beef goes. Ireland is currently the biggest exporter of of beef in the EU and I believe a substantial percentage of it goes to France. I am aware that it is available at high end restaurants in Paris but I have not seen any (identified as such) in any supermarkets. The exported volume is such that it must go through other distribution channels other that expensive restaurants.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

redneckrover wrote:Yes a very interesting discussion for steak lovers. I'd like some opinion on my original point about where all the Irish beef goes. Ireland is currently the biggest exporter of of beef in the EU and I believe a substantial percentage of it goes to France. I am aware that it is available at high end restaurants in Paris but I have not seen any (identified as such) in any supermarkets. The exported volume is such that it must go through other distribution channels other that expensive restaurants.
My daughter bought some Irish steak from Tesco's last time we were in UK,RNR.

It was pretty good ,without being outstanding,but at the price it was excellent value,especially as we were only BBQ-ing it on charcoal.
Colin L

Post by Colin L »

For all I remember his steaks with great accuracy and pleasure, I did not do so well with his name in my previous message. The erstwhile owner/chef of L'Aramon was François Galabert.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

I dont want to re-open this very lengthy deviating thread but just wanted to say we have had faux fillet steak this evening which was tasty and melt in the mouth. I would say the best we have had at home. Where did I buy this tasty meat, non other than Lidl, Argeles at just over 2€ a piece.
Dylan