Paying with English Visa

Banking, insurance, currency exchange, taxation, prices.

Moderator: Moderators

polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Paying with English Visa

Post by polremy »

I've been trying to buy a new printer from Epson.
After spending ages researching which model I wanted I eventually plucked up courage to order it.
But...........it won't accept a credit card billing address outside France.
Any ideas how I can get round this?
There wasn't even the option of sending them a French cheque.
Or cash on delivery.
I can't find the printer listed anywhere else at the same price and anyway I might just have the same problem I suppose.
Have written them an e mail but.......I want my new machine now!!!!!!!!!!
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Do not know which site you were using,PR,but was it a "British" section of global site? If that's the case,then it may well be that payment on this " dot co dot uk" section will have to be made from a British address.

If so,then a visit to the same site's "dot fr" section may enable you to use a card registered to a French address.

This is quite often the case with airlines,hotel chains, insurance companies etc. I also believe it is the case with the likes of Amazon.

Do beware though that often,prices are different on different countries' sites,so check them before you proceed!
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

Hi, John.
I am trying to buy this printer from Epson fr, to be sent to my Torreilles address, but to be paid with by my Visa card which has an English billing address. Their website won't accept it.
Did think of trying to order it from the Epson co.uk site but I doubt whether they would send it to France at all, never mind gratuit.
Added to that, they quote the same price in £ as the French site quotes in euros.
Grrrrrrr.
Thanks for trying to help anyway.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Have you tried Pixmania.com ,PR ? As a multinational site,they have,in the past allowed you to pay with whatever Card you want,then have it delivered where you want.

Obviously do not know if that's still the case,nor whether they do the Epson printer you want. Worth a look though.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Try searching for the printer model you want here:
http://www.acheter-moins-cher.com/
You may well find the same printer at a lower price from someone who will accept your card.

Russell
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

Thank you both - I did check both links.
acheter moins cher actually is plus cher (10 euros) and will take 5 days to deliver. didn't find out if they would take my English visa address!
pixmania is more than 30 euros more expensive!

think i'll wait and see if Epson.fr replies to my email tomorrow.

just want a printer!!!!
and one that works!!!!!!!
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

One of the standard fraud prevention measures is to only deliver goods to the address to which the card is registered and very few companies will deliver to a different address without an existing trading relationship.

We had someone try to defraud my company by ordering products with a credit card with a specified delivery address. The address turned out to be a squat with numerous people living there. The card number turned out to be a perfectly valid card and the owner would have only noticed the fraud when the charge appeared on his statement, by which time the goods will have vanished.
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

Yeah but.... No but......I often order books on line with this Visa card.
And then I have them sent to relatives at a different address - admittedly both addresses (billing and delivery)are in the same country.
Let's just wait and see if Epson answer my email sometime in the near future.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Allan wrote:One of the standard fraud prevention measures is to only deliver goods to the address to which the card is registered and very few companies will deliver to a different address without an existing trading relationship.

Not sure if that's true Allan. Surely,as long as the company (supplier) gets the sale approved by Visa (Verisign or similar),it's no skin off their nose to which address goods are delivered?

I've had goods delivered to all sorts of addresses in the UK and France ,Switzerland,USA and Spain,that have been paid for on my Card which is registered here in Céret.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

I am trying to get my head round this one.

Only on Friday did I order a mobile phone from Tesco using my Uk visa card whose billing address is in France, this phone is to be delivered in UK. I was automatically sent to a site which verified my visa card by using a secure code account which I set up sometime ago.

The other thing I dont understand and I don`t suppose is any of our buisness, but why do you have your visa card billing address in UK when you live in France?
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

Hey, you're a star, Opas.
Realised why we didn't change address to the French one - because we would have trouble ordering things from England to be sent to England (grandchildren's presents and so on)
Then I remembered that our other bank account (which we almost never use) is registered to our French address.
Have ordered the printer using that credit card.
Fingers crossed that it actually arrives.
Thanks again.
Alternatively, if all this goes wrong, it's all your fault!!!!!
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

john wrote:
Allan wrote:One of the standard fraud prevention measures is to only deliver goods to the address to which the card is registered and very few companies will deliver to a different address without an existing trading relationship.

Not sure if that's true Allan. Surely,as long as the company (supplier) gets the sale approved by Visa (Verisign or similar),it's no skin off their nose to which address goods are delivered?

I've had goods delivered to all sorts of addresses in the UK and France ,Switzerland,USA and Spain,that have been paid for on my Card which is registered here in Céret.

Absolutely wrong John, my company is an approved Visa merchant, we get card authorisation from their online PDQ system but for a cardholder not present transaction, the risk is with the merchant, I know this from bitter and costly experience. If the goods are delivered to an address other than the cardholders then if the transaction turns out to be fraudlent Visa claw the money back.

Think about it, every time you lose sight of a card during an authorisation process, anybody could make a note of the card number and the 3 digits on the reverse. They could then order anything they liked for delivery anywhere. The first the card holder knows is when the transaction appears on his statement.

Authorisation means nothing if the card company's rules are not adhered to.

I agree that companies do deliver goods to addresses to which the card is not registered but they normally require some other form of verification or they make a commercial judgement that the reward is greater than the risk.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

Lol! I guess all of my online suppliers have decided that the reward is greater than the risk when I've been ordering online then as I've honestly never been asked to provide verification for a different delivery address - and I nearly always have any parcels delivered to work or my parents in law as La Poste are rubbish up where we live and only deliver every other day or so and Chronopost can't even find us.

Last month, I ordered a substantial number of items to be delivered to my brother's address in the UK so that he could parcel me up one of the 11€ boxes and send the items over that way. (Much cheaper than paying the delivery charges from the retailer and not much longer.)

I'm always ordering stuff online and having it delivered direct to my daughter who's away at Uni. Also birthday presents from Amazon, flowers to family in the UK etc etc etc

Every online transaction is paid for with my French debit card. (I don't have an English one now lol)
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

polremy wrote:Hey, you're a star, Opas.
Realised why we didn't change address to the French one - because we would have trouble ordering things from England to be sent to England (grandchildren's presents and so on)
Then I remembered that our other bank account (which we almost never use) is registered to our French address.
Have ordered the printer using that credit card.
Fingers crossed that it actually arrives.
Thanks again.
Alternatively, if all this goes wrong, it's all your fault!!!!!

But I order things on my card all the time for presents in UK, moonpig cards, thorntons chocolates, flying flowers(Ok Jersey) and amazon uk to name a few and have never had a problem, only that most card providers now need further verification.....and the biggest problem there for me is remembering another secret code :roll:
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

It's only a problem with certain companies. PayPal can be a bit difficult but you can register multiple addresses. Ebay was also very problematic, requiring an email to the seller before proceeding with the sale. Vodaphone UK is a pain becuase you can't use a card registered to a French address as your registered top-up card.

So I changed the billing address of one of my cards to my Mum's UK address.

We then bought a rug off some English website a year ago who automatically delivered it to the billing address in England even though we stipulated the address in France. When we complained they said "Oh yes, you a re right, sorry - not our problem now, the rug's been delivered and someone signed for it". So we were stuck with a great big rug in England!
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

My problem with the first (english address-registered) credit card came when asked to write the billing address.
'France' was firmly typed in already and could not be replaced with 'England'.

And, Santiago, I've had that problem before with books - the company sent them to my billing address (brother in England) instead of my son even though I stipulated his address for delivery. Meant the grandchildren got their presents when Christmas was all over.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Allan wrote:[Absolutely wrong John, my company is an approved Visa merchant, we get card authorisation from their online PDQ system but for a cardholder not present transaction, the risk is with the merchant, I know this from bitter and costly experience. If the goods are delivered to an address other than the cardholders then if the transaction turns out to be fraudlent Visa claw the money back.

they normally require some other form of verification or they make a commercial judgement that the reward is greater than the risk.
That's not really the point I was making Allan. The Visa Verisign system (there are others) is designed to get round these problems. It's like a sort of cheque guarantee card ,where transactions up to a certain point are guaranteed. Perhaps your unfortunate experience was due either to the goods in your case to be over the value "limit",you are not registered for this system,or it took place before it was introduced a couple of yrs ago.

You still do not answer the question as to why I've been able to send goods all over the place from my French registered card,though,your fair point about "commercial decisions" made by Visa or traders may indeed be relevant here.
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

Just received a reply email from Epson (I wrote yesterday, telling them of my problem - before I managed to get around it).
They asked me to phone them to sort out the order.
Efficient - I'm impressed. It's not even 9.30 yet.

As it happens, I also sent emails to the tax people in Perps yesterday and have had proper replies to them (not just notifications of receipt) already too! And they were before 9am.

When I recently wrote to their counterparts in England I received a reply saying that they were currently making changes to their office but that I should have a reply "within about 15 days"!
I'm still waiting.
But then of course, they already have my money (which they should be refunding) and the French tax people still want me to pay them.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

polremy wrote: As it happens,
My God. She's turning into Jimmy Savile........
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Impressive service (especially for France!! lol)
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

john wrote:That's not really the point I was making Allan. The Visa Verisign system (there are others) is designed to get round these problems. It's like a sort of cheque guarantee card ,where transactions up to a certain point are guaranteed. Perhaps your unfortunate experience was due either to the goods in your case to be over the value "limit",you are not registered for this system,or it took place before it was introduced a couple of yrs ago.

You still do not answer the question as to why I've been able to send goods all over the place from my French registered card,though,your fair point about "commercial decisions" made by Visa or traders may indeed be relevant here.
John, any card holder can challenge any transaction, in the case of internet shopping, the onus is on the Merchant to prove they have delivered the goods to the cardholder.

Verified by Visa offers no guarantees to the merchant, indeed their web site merchant section says: Verified by Visa adds an additional layer of assurance to processed transactions. This results in fewer transactions being queried and fewer chargebacks to you.

Verified by Visa doesn't guarantee the transaction, simply takes some of the risk out of it.

I also have had goods shipped all over the world on credit card transactions - I guess the companies budget for a certain level of fraud and allow for it in their prices.
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

john wrote:
polremy wrote: As it happens,
Got the bling left over from Chavland last year too!
Nigel and Karen
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Nigel and Karen »

I am with Allan on this.

I only post goods to the billing adress.

PS which printer did you get I have several Epsons
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

PX650
I know the number by heart now - I wrote it so many times in my efforts to try and order it.
I was advised that it is excellent for photos.
Think it will be here tomorrow.
Watch out - I might be asking for help in getting it to work.

The one which I am giving up on is Stylus Color 760.
Will be throwing it away unless you want it for some reason.
Nigel and Karen
Rank 4
Rank 4

Nice printer,

Try Epson heavyweight matte paper, set the printer to enhanced photo for best results (in my opinion).

I get good compatable ink fron here :-

http://riteinks.co.uk/
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

Just checked that website - the cartridges are VERY reasonably priced.
Seems that TO807 is common to all their PX printers.
I had been advised only to buy Epson ink but they are sooooooo expensive.
Thanks for that.
Nigel and Karen
Rank 4
Rank 4

I use there ink in my photo 1400 D120 and my s20 but only epson in my 3800.

Paper is very important, as is letting the printer know which paper you are using.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Allan wrote: John, any card holder can challenge any transaction, in the case of internet shopping, the onus is on the Merchant to prove they have delivered the goods to the cardholder.

Verified by Visa offers no guarantees to the merchant, indeed their web site merchant section says: Verified by Visa adds an additional layer of assurance to processed transactions. This results in fewer transactions being queried and fewer chargebacks to you.

Well Allan ,of course your first point goes without saying. Any merchant can choose whether or not to do business with a cardholder and vice versa!

I suppose you can only speak as you find. To be fair,I've never been registered as a mechant with Visa,but my brother has,and he tells me that Verisign has helped him enormously,and IS,in practice a Guarantee. He does business with mainly Spanish,German and British cardholders and sends stuff to all sorts of addresses in several countries,and has had no problems (once with a Mastercard). Much better than bouncing cheques and cash that gets "lost" in the post!

Perhaps you have just been very unlucky or my brother has been very lucky,but you can only go on your own experiences.[/b]
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

My lovely new printer/scanner/copier machine arrived this morning, delivered by Chronopost (and a charming young man he was).
Presuming I can get it to work ok, I will be donating the old Epson Colour Stylus 760 to the dechetterie.
If, however, anyone out there likes to tinker with things and would welcome a chance to get their hands on my old machine (maybe a jolly good overhaul is all that is required and I seem to remember it was quite a pricey model in its day) then please get in touch and I'll hang on to it for a week or so for you.
I hate to throw things away - ask Mr. PR!