succession laws

Banking, insurance, currency exchange, taxation, prices.

Moderator: Moderators

Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

succession laws

Post by Sue »

I know if a man resident in France dies leaving a widow she inherits 1/3 and the children 2/3. If the man has no children of his own just 2 stepchildren ie the children of the widow do those children take 2/3 or does the widow inherit all.
Also what happens if the woman dies first does the widower inherit all or do the deceased's children come before him.
Finally can anyone recommend a good english speaking lawyer who could deal with the above scenarios and the drawing up of Wills for us. We have been here 4 years now and must finally secure both our futures!!
Dylan
mpprh
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mpprh »

Succession is handled by Notaires.

The Notaires handbook lists these as being anglophones in P-O:

Pyrenees Orientales

COURTY Jean-François
Route de Collioure
ARGELES SUR MER

DOAT Xavier
Route de Collioure
ARGELES SUR MER

DUPONT Jean-Louis
1, Rue des Abreuvoirs
PERPIGNAN

MORA Jean-Jacques
Rés. San Jordi Sants Vicens 21 Av. du Pla de las Fourques
COLLIOURE

NICOLAS Philippe
Route Nationale
ST PAUL DE FENOUILLET

PHILIPPE Hervé
Route de Collioure
ARGELES SUR MER

RIBES Louis
Route de Collioure
ARGELES SU

More in LR ...

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

succession laws

Post by Sue »

Thanks Peter. Is anyone able to recommend one of these personally. Preferably an english speaker. Whilst I can speak sufficient to get by and hold a semi sensible conversation something as important as this needs to be understood completely.
Dylan
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy »

It is very complicated and there are so many different scenarios. It is my understanding that the laws changed in 2007 and there may be some room for negotiation. Ask your solicitor about RARR. I was made aware of this by a well informed person. Apparently the RARR is a legal document where, under some very specific conditions, the beneficiaries can give up all or part of their rights in advance while the parents are still alive. The children have to be of age and come to France to sign this document.
I am just passing on what I was told and have not got first hand experience of its validity.
Eamon Avis
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Eamon Avis »

Sue, while you are looking for a good notaire you might find this interesting.

http://irishherault.wordpress.com/2009/ ... heritance/
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

succession laws

Post by Sue »

Thanks for that Eamon and you too Peter for your PM
Dylan
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

It's not about personal residency, it's about where the wealth resides. French inheritance law has no impact on property in Britain for example.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
mand
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: succession laws

Post by mand »

Sue wrote:I know if a man resident in France dies leaving a widow she inherits 1/3 and the children 2/3. If the man has no children of his own just 2 stepchildren ie the children of the widow do those children take 2/3 or does the widow inherit all.
Also what happens if the woman dies first does the widower inherit all or do the deceased's children come before him.
Finally can anyone recommend a good english speaking lawyer who could deal with the above scenarios and the drawing up of Wills for us. We have been here 4 years now and must finally secure both our futures!!
we have a good english speaking solicitor in Argeles sur mer
COURTY Jean-François
Route de Collioure
ARGELES SUR MER

ask for m. Herve philippe he speaks english.