Internet Credit Card Useage Is Changing

Banking, insurance, currency exchange, taxation, prices.

Moderator: Moderators

blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Internet Credit Card Useage Is Changing

Post by blackduff »

I saw the first mention about this new change and today I hit it direct. When you buy something with the credit card on the internet, you may need to have a new procedure. The credit card number and the date of expiration and even the number on the back of the card still needed but today I had to put my birthday on the transaction. The document mentioned that in the near future we will need another code number (8 numbers) PLUS you are going to contact your bank with a SMS from your mobile.

It does not say how people who do not use mobile telephones. Even you must able to send SMS notices to the bank.

I have always known that using a mobile telephone and especially the SMS system is the worst security in the world. I cannot understand how we are going to be burdened with this new system. It's going to be fun.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

My wife called the BNP and asked if they can send some info. They told her that if she wants to buy a new special Credit Card/Debit Card, then they're involved. If you do not buy a new CC, the bank said they're not involved.

Sounds like the internet purchasing will come to a stall for Christmas 2009.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

I'm with SocGen and we've had the birthday verification for some months now, BD!
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Thumbs
I have a copy of the Soc.Gen paper about this procedure. The birthday is just a preliminary until the whole system starts. Here's a bit from this memo.

Il vous faudra pour cela declarer au prealable un numbero de telephone grace auquel la Soc. Gen. vous transmettra automatiquement, au moment de la transaction, ce CodeSecurite.

-Soit par SMS , s'il agit d'un numero de telephone d'un operateur francais
-Soit par appel d'un Serveur Vocal Interactif, s'il a'agit d'un numero de telephone fixe francais ou de telephne etranger (fixe ou mobile)

The memo continues a bit longer too. The most thought is that it's not just a new birthday number added. Other than this Soc.Gen. memo, I have not seen any other information until I tried to re-charge my mobile on NRJ.

This is going to be similar to learning to do the Sevillana dance.

Blackduff
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

:shock: :roll:

sounds like it BD! :roll:
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Not heard anything from BNP (the Bank ,not Nick Griffin's odious lot) about this.
frenchiegas
Rank 1
Rank 1

Internet Credit Card

Post by frenchiegas »

Ive just used the system today to buy rugby tickets online,using a BNP Visa card,and its pretty painless.You input your card number,expiry date and three digit number from the back of the card.You are then taken to a verification page where you input your birthdate.You then instantly receive an SMS message giving you an eight digit code which you input.Thats it.Took a couple of minutes in total.
Not sure what happens if you havnt got a mobile phone with you. :?
If that had gone in.............it would have been a goal.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

My purchase for the NRJ recharge and it just wanted the birthday. Then it went through but they did have a large paragraph which explains what you've mentioned.

I guess I'll have to give this a chance but my mobile doesn't work in Sorede right against the mountain. To send, I have to leave the garden and go onto the street. I do get things incoming, more or less.

I just cannot understand why we're into a SMS security loop. SMS isn't secure itself.

Blackduff