Paying in a cheque

Banking, insurance, currency exchange, taxation, prices.

Moderator: Moderators

Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Paying in a cheque

Post by Kathy »

Excuse my ignorance but I have been given my first French cheque to pay in and am not sure how to complete it accurately. I will be leaving it in the banks post box, unless the banks are open Saturday morning, so need to do it right.
I am using a pre printed paying in book and need to know what do I write in the coordonnees des cheques bit?
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Kathy, there is a number at the bottom of the cheque you are paying in, usualy around 5 digits.this is usualy at the bottom left.

sign the back of the cheque and put your account number on it. most banks are open on sat morn and there is usually a cheque deposit box inside where you can just pop it in.

As an after thought........when I complete one of these slips mine also want to know the name of the bank the cheque has come from ie credit agricole and who has issued it ie Mrs smith.
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy »

Thank you. I thought coordonees must have meant numbers but needed to make sure.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

'coordonnées' are usually your contact details. For eg, you might hear a phone message saying 'Laissez vos coordonnées et je vous rapellerai' (leave your contact details and I will call you back) or be asked to fill in your 'coordonnées' on a form.
'Coordonnees bancaires' would of course be bank account information
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy »

Hello Kate wondered how you were, you have been very quiet. Most unlike you!
Thanks for the explanation, lots of info on the net about writing a cheque but not about filling in those paying in slips.
It will be obvious to those of you who are at ease with French but tres difficile for those of us who are not confident yet.
Last edited by Kathy on Sun 03 May 2009 19:50, edited 1 time in total.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Been to Leeds (and back) and spent the past few days being incredibly busy achieving nothing. Frightening really!!
I wonder if we should bring back a French language forum and put on it advice such as this, plus example letters to send to ask for info (eg I found this that I posted on the site ages ago and forgot about - the letter at the bottom might be useful to someone somewhere)
http://www.anglophone-direct.com/The-se ... off-period

Like you say Kathy, it's easy if you know how, but if you're not a French speaker, it's bloody difficult. When I go into Spain, I can really appreciate what it must be like for non-french or not-much-french speakers over here. I feel so helpless if I have to do anything other that supemarket shop or ask for two large beers and the bill (my only Spanish apart from 'I love you' which just doesn't seem to do the trick any more :oops: )
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy »

Basic info is always very useful. Because I don't write many cheques,I keep a printout of how to write a cheque in my checkbook just to remind me. I found it here.
http://www.frenchentree.com/fe-lavie/Di ... sp?ID=6542

Any standard letters like cancelling service providers and the one linked here would be very useful too.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

On a related subject does anyone know why on a French cheque(or any official French document) you have to put the place where you are writing/signing it?

I can just about understand the need to date it (time of start of contract etc),but what difference does it make as to where you are? To that end, how does anyone have the ability to verify that fact!
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

John - I was told the above is because it's exactly the same as signing a contract, conveyance or any other legal document. Fortunately the recipient doesn't have to write "lu et approuvé bon pour commande" before cashing it!!
I deal in Logic!
"Magic" is applied science far in advance of our current technology.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Roger O wrote:John - I was told the above is because it's exactly the same as signing a contract, conveyance or any other legal document. Fortunately the recipient doesn't have to write "lu et approuvé bon pour commande" before cashing it!!
Doesn't really answer the question Roger.

OK then ,why do you have to write the place name on ANY contract (inc cheque).?

TBH, "lu et approuvé...." I CAN see the point of!
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

I guess to show everyone who reads it that you are in La France?
(Well I had to use yellow for white cos I can't post on a black background!)

Probably if you search deeply enough into Napoleonic law, you will find the answer..
Back in the days of yore, didn't those guys have to write the word Runnymede somewhere on their contract??
Well, here, nothing's changed since then.... either...
I deal in Logic!
"Magic" is applied science far in advance of our current technology.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Roger O wrote:I guess to show everyone who reads it that you are in La France?
....or Romania. Sorry Rog,couldn't resist.

My real point is if I'm at home in Ceret when I sign whatever document,but,just for a laugh write "Nantes" am I committing an offence.?

If not,what's the point of it?
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

I don't think anyone really knows, John.

Where I work, we have clients who come in and pay for their goods with a cheque. Some will write the name of the village where I work, some will write where they live!