Winter Fuel Allowance for Ex-Pats

Banking, insurance, currency exchange, taxation, prices.

Moderator: Moderators

John & Elaine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Winter Fuel Allowance for Ex-Pats

Post by John & Elaine »

Apparently the more ancient amongst us (over 60's!) can claim the UK Winter Fuel Allowance but you need to claim it. Has anyone any experience of this or does anyone know the form reference code and whether it can be downloaded on the web? Thanks in advance. John
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

My sister-in-law is a volunteer for the Citizens' Advice Bureau in the UK. She found out for us that you have to have been resident in UK on the qualifying date in 2007 (September, from memory) to receive the current year's payment. And obviously you have to be age-eligible!!

There is a number you can call - 0044 (0)29 2042 8635

If you find out differently - especially if it's in our favour - do let us know!

Bonne Chance!
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

I have been resident in France since 2002 and receive the Winter Fuel Payment every year. I think this is because I was in receipt of it before I came to France, having turned 60 in 2000.
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

When I retired (after absence from the UK since 1970) the DSS set up my mini quarterly pension plus the annual Christmas fuel "allowance" which I have been receiving ever since. This year (2007 of course!) the princely sum of £13.96 was credited for this purpose to my bank account on 04 December. I could possibly buy about 1/3 of a stère of wood with it!
DavidB
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DavidB »

I've phoned the pensions people in UK a couple of times re the Winter Fuel Payment, and you do definitely have to be already receiving it in UK to be eligible to receive it in another EU country.
Doesn't sound very equitable if you happen to have retired to Estonia!
DavidB
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

Well, as mentioned above, I receive it even though I retired in France after working in France. Have the rules changed since 2003? On the other hand, perhaps we are talking about different allowances because what I receive is a "Christmas fuel allowance" and not for the whole winter - obviously with that small amount, one can only heat over the holdiday period - and even that is stretching it a bit!!
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

I think there is only one Winter Fuel Allowance from the DWP which is £200.
kuku202

Post by kuku202 »

Interesting item in the latest IFP newsletter....in fact the whole newsletter is quite interesting........!!!

kaleem
Libby
Rank 2
Rank 2

Winter fuel allowance

Post by Libby »

Cameron has finished giving winter fuel allowance to ex-pats in France.
'They' did a temperature survey and included Dom-Toms which caused the average temperature to be too high.
The ignorant M. P s have only holidayed in France in the hot = summer season so have no idea how cold it can get.
Last winter (2014) was the last payment.
There is a move to re-instate the allowance, but don't hold your breath!!!