Saga Credit Card Service Ends March 19

Banking, insurance, currency exchange, taxation, prices.

Moderator: Moderators

Nigel Bright
Rank 3
Rank 3

Saga Credit Card Service Ends March 19

Post by Nigel Bright »

Now Saga are stopping their credit cards service at the end of March 19, (Which did not charge a foreign currency conversion fee on any purchases worldwide) can anyone advise if there is a French or UK alternative for people living in France?
Brighty
ceret2018
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Saga Credit Card Service Ends March 19

Post by ceret2018 »

I use a currency conversion company, Currency Uk, to transfer sterling to euros on a regular basis. Like other companies offering the same service they give an exchange rate much better than the mainstream banks and do not charge fees. I use a French credit card which I then settle with the euros from my French bank account.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

ceret2018 wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 11:16 I use a currency conversion company, Currency Uk, to transfer sterling to euros on a regular basis. Like other companies offering the same service they give an exchange rate much better than the mainstream banks and do not charge fees. I use a French credit card which I then settle with the euros from my French bank account.
I think you are missing the point, currency credit cards let you spend money in any currency without paying any exchange fees. That makes them cheaper than currency brokers and a lot more convenient.

They are also credit cards so you get much greater protection than a debit card and if you wish, you can take advantage of credit.

I have one from NatWest that is registered to my French address but I initially had to have a UK address. That card is great because I get a percentage of my purchases as a cash back reward but I do pay an annual fee.

So far this year, I have paid in Euro, dollars, pounds, Thai baht and Sri Lankan rupees, all with no fees.

I also have a Creation card that lets you withdraw cash overseas at minimal cost, I applied for this several years after moving to France and just said I was renting a room at my daughters house. They based the credit check on my old address.

I use a currency broker to transfer money to my French bank account but a currency card is a lot more convenient and usually cheaper.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Oh and I forgot to mention that my French bank manager knows of no such card in France
Ted & Jemima
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ted & Jemima »

Hello

Metro Bank in the UK makes no currency charges at present for purchases or cash withdrawals in EU countries on its debit card. However, you have to go to one of their branches to open an account.

Yours,
Ted & Jemima