Taxe d'Habitation

Banking, insurance, currency exchange, taxation, prices.

Moderator: Moderators

Sue234
Rank 2
Rank 2

Taxe d'Habitation

Post by Sue234 »

Hello,

I'm getting worried because I haven't yet received my Taxe d'Habitation bill for 2016. I live in Collioure - are they just late sending them out this year or am I right to be getting a bit agitated?
Helen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Helen »

I've normally paid mine by this time, but was getting worried as the demand still hadn't turned up and so I emailed the office in Arles sur Tech.

Got a reply the next day saying the bills were all getting sent out on the 25th.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Loads of people, particularly in the UK it seems, haven't received them yet. No need to worry for the moment apparently!
Sue234
Rank 2
Rank 2

Taxe d'Habitation

Post by Sue234 »

Thanks Helen and Kate, I'll wait a bit longer before rushing off to the tax office. (I never thought I''d write that particular phrase!)
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

I've paid mine by prélèvement (I was surprised to find, doing the sums) for the better part of thirty years: they can send the bill to Mars for all I care. They were, and are, so trivial in my old place that I never bothered to go for installments, and I haven't bothered to do that here either, but of course you can if you want. It's easy enough to do: why on earth would you spend your autumn lurking round the letter-box, especially on a nice day like today?
Sus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Taxe d'Habitation

Post by Sus »

Sue234 wrote:Thanks Helen and Kate, I'll wait a bit longer before rushing off to the tax office. (I never thought I''d write that particular phrase!)
"rushing to the tax office" - Love it 8)
Sue234
Rank 2
Rank 2

Taxe d'Habitation

Post by Sue234 »

Thanks again for the helpful replies. I know, it's sad, hanging around the postbox, but the situation's complicated. I half-suspect my bill may have been sent in error to my old UK address despite the tax authorities having my up to date details. This happened before in slightly different circumstances and it cost me a penalty for late payment - no reasoned arguments accepted! As you say Martyn, paying by prélèvement is definitely the way to go.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Taxe d'Habitation

Post by martyn94 »

Sue234 wrote:Thanks again for the helpful replies. I know, it's sad, hanging around the postbox, but the situation's complicated. I half-suspect my bill may have been sent in error to my old UK address despite the tax authorities having my up to date details. This happened before in slightly different circumstances and it cost me a penalty for late payment - no reasoned arguments accepted! As you say Martyn, paying by prélèvement is definitely the way to go.
I certainly wouldn't assume that any address they have got for national direct tax (or even taxe d'habitation) is the one they'll use for taxe foncière if you haven't told them that specifically for that purpose (any more than I'd do so for council tax in the U.K.). Apart from anything else, taxe foncière attaches to the owner: it's neither here nor there whether they are the person on record as living there.
Helen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Helen »

And it looks like the Avis was indeed sent out on the 25th. Mine arrived in Glasgow today and has already been 'paid' online - or, at least, sorted in so far as the payment will be triggered when it's due next month.

Just a thought, what's the plural of 'avis'? Am thinking it's unchanged 'avis' - non?
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Helen wrote:And it looks like the Avis was indeed sent out on the 25th. Mine arrived in Glasgow today and has already been 'paid' online - or, at least, sorted in so far as the payment will be triggered when it's due next month.

Just a thought, what's the plural of 'avis'? Am thinking it's unchanged 'avis' - non?
Oui.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

martyn94 wrote:
Helen wrote:And it looks like the Avis was indeed sent out on the 25th. Mine arrived in Glasgow today and has already been 'paid' online - or, at least, sorted in so far as the payment will be triggered when it's due next month.

Oui.
It set me thinking how many other words I know like this: at first your mind goes blank, then you think of lots. But the striking thing, at least as it struck me in the shower, is that French has "as" and "es" and "os" and "us", not all nouns but not a bad striking rate. Only "is" seems to be missing, and maybe I'd find that with a bigger dictionary.
Helen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Helen »

Anglais

Palais

Bis

hmm, can't think of any more.

But they follow the same rule don't they?
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Helen wrote:Anglais

Palais

Bis

I think they must, if only because there doesn't seem to be any other rule they could possibly take. But think of ananas, matelas, vis, pas, souris, "et tant d'autres" (he said, running out of steam).
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

martyn94 wrote:
Helen wrote:Anglais

Palais

Bis

I think they must, if only because there doesn't seem to be any other rule they could possibly take. But think of ananas, matelas, vis, pas, souris, "et tant d'autres" (he said, running out of steam).

And also paradis, salsifis, prospectus....

I must go and have another shower: I evidently think better there.
Helen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Helen »

When I was working, it was the shower or blowdrying my hair afterwards, that prompted some half-decent creative ideas!

Nowadays, the shower is more my escape!
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Helen wrote:When I was working, it was the shower or blowdrying my hair afterwards, that prompted some half-decent creative ideas!

Nowadays, the shower is more my escape!
I can wrangle the shower and the hairdryer: it's the hair that has come up short, the last few decades.