Taxes SPECIALES

Banking, insurance, currency exchange, taxation, prices.

Moderator: Moderators

Anniseed
Rank 2
Rank 2

Taxes SPECIALES

Post by Anniseed »

Hi does anyone know how the Taxes speciales are calculated?
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

What is a Taxes speciale?
Anniseed
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Anniseed »

It's one of the details on the tax fonciere
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Anniseed wrote:It's one of the details on the tax fonciere
If you want to grind through it, it's here

http://bofip.impots.gouv.fr/bofip/2400-PGP.html

It seems to be just another addition to the total percentage charged. But why can I look this stuft up (inside about 15 seconds) and you can't? If it's because it's in French, then it would be useful for you to make that clear in your question. Then I wouldn't direct you to a website in very dreary French.
Anniseed
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Anniseed »

I have read it in French but still didn't understand how and why it works . Thank you anyway .
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Anniseed wrote:I have read it in French but still didn't understand how and why it works . Thank you anyway .
I don't honestly know why you would want to understand it unless you thought you could challenge it - which leads you straight to a world of pain - but it doesn't seem to me particularly incomprehensible, though it is certainly very tedious. Certain entities are entitled to raise tax to pay for certain aménagents (over and above what you would be paying for anyway) from a certain population of taxe foncière payers. After that it's just simple arithmetic: they work out the total "tax base" of taxpayers they can charge; they decide how much money they can legally collect; they divide one into the other; and that gives the percentage that goes on your bill. Just like all the other components of your taxe foncière. Who they are, exactly what they are proposing to do, and why they are entitled to charge you for it, depends on where you are, and may or may not be described on your bill. Your Mairie might be able to help, if you are pre-occupied enough to ask.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

But that's what a forum is for Martyn isnt it? To ask questions. If we all said "I can find it out myself", what would be the point of the forum? Some people have different skills, are not as computer literate as others, maybe are better with people skills (nudge, nudge :roll: ) in real life than on the Internet.
I don't know what the Tax Speciale, and I spend hours researching stuff, so your answer was actually very useful, once I peeled away all the layers of grump!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Martyn grumpy! Perish the thought.

I found an English definition of the tax (in less than Martyn's 15 seconds).

Tax for local authorities’ owned company in charge of town planning.

But, if the question hadn't been asked I would never have known.

I've just read one of the English Saturday newspapers and they have a whole page feature on 'your questions answered'. All the questions could easily have been answered by a quick internet search but I suppose that people enjoy sharing their own, and other people's curiosity.

Keep the questions coming, Martyn will never resist the temptation to answer them.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Allan wrote:
Keep the questions coming, Martyn will never resist the temptation to answer them.
That's the cross I bear (along with others here): I do try to answer questions, as best I can, mostly as a diversion for me, but occasionally because it might be helpful.

But I often do it with mixed feelings. If you live here for long, you are going to find life unnecessarily difficult if you can't sort out some everyday things for yourself: "la système D" if you like. And it's vastly easier than it used to be, thanks to the interweb.

I don't really buy Kate's kind idea that some people just aren't up to doing simple research: if you can find this forum, and use it, you can surely put a couple of words into google. And if you don't have that habit, it's time to get it, for your own sake.

That leaves plenty of reasons why you might still want to ask questions (though it would often be helpful if people were a bit more explicit about where their problem lies).

Any impatience I might have shown in this case is much more sad and cynical on my part: why would you want to understand some chunk of French fonctionnaire gibberish about your tax if it's as sure as eggs is eggs that you will have to pay it anyway?

I say that despite the fact, or more likely because, I used to make my living as a taxman. Life's too short for that stuff, unless they pay you for it.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Aha! That explains it then. You were a taxman!!! Why didn't you say and we could have made allowances for you!! (pun intended)

On a serious note, here is part of one of several emails I have received recently.
I find Martyn94 incredibly rude and abrupt. I have always found this to be the case and just keep ‘stum’. However his/hers latest rudeness causes me to put pen to paper. The question about the tax form is a valid one. And yes, the reply given by Matyn94 is correct and probably much appreciated, but why is it accompanied by such negative comments?

and another....
I dont do Facebook but enjoy following the forum but I dare not put a comment as I'm not a very confient person in general and do want to receive a tongue lashing or sarcasm from Martyn94.
I think in general this forum has moderated itself more or less for several years, since FB took over in number popularity. Most people (dare I say most men?) accept that they have been rude and tone it down once a thread like this reminds them.

So a reminder....some people are more sensitive than others and find it upsetting and demoralising to be picked on in the virtual world. I personally am one of them and it has taken me years to harden myself to some of the sarcasm and perceived insults that get thrown around. Others enjoy it, encourage it, provoke it and jump in when it starts to stir it up and make it worse. Which one are you?

If you are the second, try and think of the first.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

So Martyn, looks like a trip to the vet is on the cards.

I'll put a different point of view, I for one enjoy Martyn's sense of humour and no-nonsense approach. Add to that the fact that without his postings this forum would be substantially smaller and less relevant to life here.

I wouldn't want this forum to become so bland that varying opinions can't be expressed. I liken it to a conversation in a pub, if someone says something daft, do you smile sweetly and nod in acquiescence.

Over the years we have had some great barneys on here yet sadly some of the most interesting members have withdrawn from the forum having been flamed excessively by the liberal 'You can't say that' mob.

Martyn is free to comment on my posts in whatever way he wants and anyone who is apprehensive at posting is free to PM me and I will post anonymously on their behalf.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

But this is always the problem with any forum Allan....and the poor admin (moi in this case) is damned if you do and dammed if you don't.

You are one of these people who doesn't get upset or insulted at opinions expressed in a thoughtless or sarcastic way.....but have you noticed.....you're a man! :roll:

You use the example of a pub, but if you're sitting in a pub and someone says something offensive, you either get into an argument or get up and walk away....(tho at least face to face you can soften comments with smiles, winks, gestures.....) but being sarcastic or offensive with the people around your table surely isn't right either is it?

Why are the 'you can't say that' mob less relevant than the 'you can say whatever you want' mob? People who you find 'interesting' may be opiniated and confrontational for others.

I have been damned in the past for saying something....and equally damned for saying nothing. The people with strong opinions walk away if they feel they've been criticized ......always with a 'goodbye, I will not be bothering with this crappy forum again' type of remark. They then work quite hard behind the scenes to put the forum down, put me down....do everything possible to make the forum and POL in general fail......but do you know? Twelve years and a helluva lot of hard work later, its still here! Still standing! Not failed! Yabadabbadoooo!

This is not a rant about Martyn. He has a dig at himself just as often as he has a dig at others - I have even seen him apologize in a Martyn kind of way, when he réalisés that his remarks have upset somebody :lol:

This is more to say that those 'interesting' people who have walked away made their choices....none of them were banned, the forum just wasn't giving them what they needed i.e. Freedom to say what they wanted but stop others doing the same thing. They are always welcome back - but I will never change the way the forum is run, that is hopefully, with respect for everybody who wishes to use it.

In the same way that video killed the radio, forums are being slowly strangled by Facebook, and will only survive if people continue to use them! :lol:
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

I write these few words with some trepidation.

With the ascendance of Facebook the evidence suggests that the forum format has been in decline as a communication medium for the ex-pat community. The anecdotal evidence seems to indicate that many ex-pats use social media when they arrive to garner information and then retire from the scene.

There are those that believe that social media can be used for the expression of sentiments in a manner not acceptable in the real world. This has a negative impact. Another observable phenomenon are the “inner circles” that can emerge to dominate a forum or Facebook page. Difficult to control but very often counterproductive in the longer term. Offering advice, in good faith,in response to questions can be a tiresome experience when it is continually contradicted. “Stupid” questions, where the questioner seems simply too lazy to do even a little simple research, do little to encourage participation.

Forums are much better suited for discussing topics over an extended time frame. The essentially linear nature of FB tends to favour the “here today and gone by teatime” approach to life. Forums content can, if so desired, be free of advertisements. Another very positive aspect in my opinion.

So that’s it. If you disagree with what I have said please feel free to contradict me. I won’t take offense.

Gus
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Gus Morris wrote:I write these few words with some trepidation.

So that’s it. If you disagree with what I have said please feel free to contradict me. I won’t take offense.

Gus
Why on earth would you feel any trepidation? Are you embarrassed that your thoughts have been so similarly expressed by others on the internet that you are worried about the suspicion of plagiarism or what?
Webdoc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Webdoc »

Personally I don't "do" Facebook but it's clear to me that the Forum is a far better mechanism for asking questions and sharing knowledge, and as such a very valuable resource for newcomers and old hands alike. The material is divided into relevant sections, searchable, and doesn't disappear after a few weeks. It's helped me umpteen times with the curiosities and complexities of French life.

So a big Well Done and Thank You to Kate for her years of hard work growing the Forum and keeping it going.
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

Why on earth would you feel any trepidation? Are you embarrassed that your thoughts have been so similarly expressed by others on the internet that you are worried about the suspicion of plagiarism or what?

Because, in my admittedly limited experience, I have formed the opinion that even the most carefully phrased statement can provoke someone who regards it as a personal affront.

I can think of possible examples. I read an article in Marianne recently which talked about the impact of domestic cats on the environment. It re-stated information that has been discussed by ecologists for some time. There are also a couple of items in current threads that amuse me too. All fascinating but probably best left untouched on here.

Gus