Opening French Bank Account

Banking, insurance, currency exchange, taxation, prices.

Moderator: Moderators

rainbow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Opening French Bank Account

Post by rainbow »

I am planning to open a French branch account,can anyone advise if the French authorities require me to pay tax on this. This would be savings and part of my pension ?
Best Wishes
Helen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Helen »

It all depends on whether you are making France your main home and with it, becoming tax resident.

I found this guide really helpfulhttps://www.blevinsfranks.com/Portals/0 ... xGuide.pdf
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Is it very material? Some accounts are tax free in France if you live here (eg the Livret A) but they pay almost nothing. But they are not tax free in your home country if you really live elsewhere (Scotland?). Any ordinary sort of account will be taxable somewhere: if it's taxable in two countries you can generally get credit for double taxation.

The fact that you may consider it as "part of your pension" is neither here nor there, unless it actually is part of a pension, which doesn't seem likely on the limited info we have.

All this assumes that you will be telling the whole truth to all the tax authorities you will be involved with. That's probably the sensible course: they even talk to each other, about us, nowadays.