Change in French tax law

Banking, insurance, currency exchange, taxation, prices.

Moderator: Moderators

Sue234
Rank 2
Rank 2

Change in French tax law

Post by Sue234 »

Hello and a Happy New Year to all,

I've been told that a tax change has been implemented regarding buying a French property that is under 5 years old. Whereas this used to attract reduced Notaire's fees, apparently you now have to pay the full fees, regardless of the property's age. I've trawled through endless websites and can't find any mention of this change. Has anyone here any information about it please?

Sue
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Hi Sue
We put this question to John Lansley, financial planner for ex pats and he says....

Sorry we haven't come across this.  If you could give us more info.
it can be researched.
Sue234
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sue234 »

Thank you Kate for taking the trouble to contact the financial planner, and thanks also to John.

Since posting my question I've had it confirmed elsewhere that it is indeed the case that the reduction in fees for purchasing a property that is under five years old has been taken away, and full fees apply from 1.1.2013. I don't know whether this applies to brand new properties also.

Kate, can I just take this opportunity to say how sorry I am about your lovely Bisou. As an owner of 2 slightly elderly dogs, one with arthritis, I dread losing them and my heart went out to you when I read recently of your loss. (Sorry this has nothing to do with matters financial and perhaps I should have posted it elsewhere).

Sue
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

Hi, there was reduced notaire fees for a house under 5 years old because the seller would have had to pay a tax fee when they sold the house, this put a lot of people off selling a house under 5 years as it worked out very expensive for the seller(private). The buyer was ok as they paid the reduced fees. The seller no longer has to pay the tax and this is why there is now no reduced fees for the buyer. For a new house if you buy the land and then build you just pay notaire fees for the land.
Sue234
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sue234 »

Thanks Tia,

It's beginning to make sense! A bit!!

Sue
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Thanks Sue
We were shattered for quite a while. We now have a new pup of 10 weeks who is keeping us on our toes. He will never replace our beloved Bisou but he is a real cutie, completely different in every way, but filling that empty space that she left around the house.
Hope yours go on and on
Sue234
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sue234 »

Cheers Kate,

New arrival sounds lovely. Hope he brings loads of joy.

Sue