Market prices in summer

Banking, insurance, currency exchange, taxation, prices.

Moderator: Moderators

john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

That song that Elvis sang.... was it about Paddy ?

Anyway;no need to be lonesome on POL.
malcolmcooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by malcolmcooper »

You never say that to me Kate :cry:
Theres an Irish guy in Barcares market selling cosmetics who actually reduces his prices in the summer
That makes good sense. I said earlier that higher volumes can lead to lower prices as the fixed overheads remain the same. It's basic maths, if you can sell more you can afford to make a bit less percentage margin in return for more cash margin.
I'd say that it's a little unfair of you to suggest that ,just because a particular foodstuff is low price, necessarily means it's low quality or "bad for you".
Sorry to bang on about it but I meant neither of those things. For me it's about value for money. In the UK I quite often bought food from Marks & Spencers. It was premium priced but it was always great and there was never any wasted.

As with Jon saying about designer label clothes earlier, I buy Ralph Lauren shirts. I go to La Roca village for them to be fair so I don't pay High Street price but they are still not cheap at about 50 euro a piece and I'd rather not have a polo player logo. I buy them because I know I could be wearing them 5 years later, long after many cheaper shirts would have fallen apart.
Malcolm Cooper

I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

malcolmcooper wrote:
I'd say that it's a little unfair of you to suggest that ,just because a particular foodstuff is low price, necessarily means it's low quality or "bad for you".
Sorry to bang on about it but I meant neither of those things. For me it's about value for money. .
But hang on a minute,Malcolm. What did you mean by "what you put in your body is rather important " then ?

I'd agree with the basic tenet of that,but to me ,that's implying that buying cheap food is putting something bad in your body!

Agree with you completely about clothes. VFM is important,but do you buy a 50€ shirt,and make it last 5 yrs,or buy a 10€ one and replace it every year.

It's swings and roundabouts,surely ?
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

market prices

Post by Sue »

You mean you dont buy your shirt locally at top price but supporting the local retailler!
Dylan
malcolmcooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by malcolmcooper »

John, I agree that cheap isn't necessarily bad in that sense. If it tastes really good, if you enjoy it and if there's no waste you're on to a winner and I'll buy it too. It's a bit hit and miss though huh? Haven't we all wasted money on disappointing cheap food whilst looking for a cheap gem? Kissing frogs to find a prince?
You mean you dont buy your shirt locally at top price but supporting the local retailler!
You got me there Sue didn't you!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Fair cop. No, I'm afraid I go to a proven reliable source based on experience. I hope that's why my regular customers come back too.
Malcolm Cooper

I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

malcolmcooper wrote:. It's a bit hit and miss though huh? Haven't we all wasted money on disappointing cheap food whilst looking for a cheap gem? Kissing frogs to find a prince?

Oh I certainly would not disagree with you there,Malcolm .

But isn't experimenting,tasting and trying, half of the fun of living anywhere ?

You are right....you can get perfect results every time by buying pre-packed stuff from M+S,but my experience of that is that it's frightfully dull. You never get to sample anything new.

I've had much the same discussion with Jon in the past re wine. Sure,you can but a 15€ bottle of Chablis or Sancerre or Chateaneuf DP,or go even more for some fancy Burgundy,and it will be good 97% of the time. But one of the great things about living here is that you can go off on a tangent and buy some stuff you've never heard of. Sometimes it's good. Sometimes less so,but at least if you've only paid a modest price for it there's nothing really lost. And ,you've widened your experience of life to boot !
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

john wrote:
Agree with you completely about clothes. VFM is important,but do you buy a 50€ shirt,and make it last 5 yrs,or buy a 10€ one and replace it every year.

It's swings and roundabouts,surely
?
Look at this a bit more. Would you rather have a new cheap (10€) shirt each year for five years or buying a new nice (50€) shirt each five years?

I would like a nice looking shirt which is smart but becomes getting a little old. I sure don't want to buy something cheap and stay wearing cheapos for five years.

For the cars, each of us have various needs for vehicles. Jonathan's needs for the vinery and different than Malcolm's epicerie. Some of us retirees have different needs but all of us buy what is the needs and not the flashiness.

The last eighteen months have changed my vehicle requirements. I got rid of a Discovery which (1) it isn't reliable, and (2) expensive to service, and (3) I have only used the 4 wheel useage only one time in the last eight years with this "truck", since it really is a truck. I replaced this with a Peugeot Partner for hauling my dogs and I bought a smaller van for hauling the Taille, bottles, dechetterie crap, and hauling dirt, boxes, items for the garden. Both of these vehicles are much easier to drive than the Discovery. It's too early to determine whether this is a smart move or not but both vans keep working daily which the Discovery stopped running the day after the purchaser arrived at his home. The clutch failed to work the first day he was using the Discovery.

The bottom line is that I like better clothes . I hate to wear cheap clothes.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
malcolmcooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by malcolmcooper »

You are right....you can get perfect results every time by buying pre-packed stuff from M+S,but my experience of that is that it's frightfully dull. You never get to sample anything new.
Very economical though and I thought that's what we were talking about.

Balckduff, don't you still have that very nice black Mercedes Benz too? :lol: Just playing with ya! you can slap me at breakfast!
Malcolm Cooper

john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

blackduff wrote: The bottom line is that I like better clothes . I hate to wear cheap clothes.

Blackduff
I'd agree if we were talking cheapo clothes like the 3.99 polos from Kiabi, Blackduff,but you can buy really nice one for around a tenner,particularly if you shop, at places like M+S,the discounters like TK Maxx or,better still,online like Amazon.

There really is no need to spend 50€ on what is,at the end of the day a glorified T Shirt. By the fourth/fifth year they are looking pretty threadbare !Nope,I'd prefer a new one of those 10€ ones every year ....

Also,if the shirt or shorts are only going to be used pottering around the garden or doing DIY jobs,then what's the point of buying a fancy label for that ??!!
Last edited by john on Fri 05 Aug 2011 12:11, edited 1 time in total.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

malcolmcooper wrote:

No,I thought we were talking about VFM ,and eating/drinking something interesting and tasty.

Yes,I used to buy prepack stuff from M+S /Tesco,and it served a purpose,when time was limited.

But I would not say that it was all that cheap,and whilst perfectly nice to eat,it was safe,bland and uninteresting.
malcolmcooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by malcolmcooper »

I think we're going around in ever decreasing circles now. Great thread though!
Malcolm Cooper

john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

malcolmcooper wrote:I think we're going around in ever decreasing circles now. Great thread though!
Feel you are right there,Malcolm. Think we all have the same basic wishes,but are all coming at it from slightly different angles ?

To use your analogy, and take the circle back to the beginning, what WILL be interesting is ,when Santiago does his weekly shop at Thuir market tomorrow,will the overcharging scallywags have been noting our thread ,and lowered their prices accordingly ?!
Last edited by john on Fri 05 Aug 2011 13:16, edited 1 time in total.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

malcolmcooper wrote:

Balckduff, don't you still have that very nice black Mercedes Benz too? :lol: Just playing with ya! you can slap me at breakfast!
I'm keeping my hearse shiny, just in case it needs immediate useage. I cannot buy a proper hearse ~ see on this site: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rolls-Royce-H ... 483ef480a6

I'll keep my fifty euro shirt ironed too. Just in case!

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
malcolmcooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by malcolmcooper »

mmmm, if I had that I could start doing deliveries!
Malcolm Cooper

opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

john wrote:
malcolmcooper wrote:I think we're going around in ever decreasing circles now. Great thread though!
Feel you are right there,Malcolm. Think we all have the same basic wishes,but are all coming at it from slightly different angles ?

To use your analogy, and take the circle back to the beginning, what WILL be interesting is ,when Santiago does his weekly shop at Thuir market tomorrow,will the overcharging scallywags have been noting our thread ,and lowered their prices accordingly ?!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That was my thought about an hour ago, but was called away from reading to eat lunch!
bon courage to all who venture on the Auto route over the weekend :roll:
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

..."I cannot buy a proper hearse ~ see on this site: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rolls-Royce-H ... 483ef480a6 ..."

Blimey, i just looked at this - it is to DIE for :lol: but not very good value for money, if I was in it?!
Agree with Malcolm though, it would be fantastic for deliveries.....
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Maybe this photo is more to my style and it can be used for Pub too.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/4 ... cn1414.jpg

In Naples, the father always wants his sons to carry him down to the grave in a carriage with four black horses. Now that's class!

Blackduff
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

sue and paul wrote:..."I cannot buy a proper hearse ~ see on this site: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rolls-Royce-H ... 483ef480a6 ..."

Blimey, i just looked at this - it is to DIE for :lol: but not very good value for money, if I was in it?!
Agree with Malcolm though, it would be fantastic for deliveries.....
Suppose you'd guarantee your deliveries to be dead on time. Looks a bit old though...think that the engine might be coffin.
lonesome paddy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lonesome paddy »

Kate wrote:Aw, Lonesome Paddy...... every time I see your name, I want to give you a hug :(
Merci Kate, at least you wont have to queue up to give me a hug.
The name Lonesome Paddy comes from an extremely short lived band that i was a member of back in the 1960's and i always liked the name.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

If the weather is anything like it has just been, I shall be expecting to get my haricot beans for 1,50€ a Kg as there will be nobody there !

We've just had hailstones the size of marbles. There are peaches and nectarines still on the trees but I would expect there's going to be a fair amount of windfall fruit going cheap this weekend. Might only be good for making smoothies and jam but worth a look.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Santiago wrote:If the weather is anything like it has just been, I shall be expecting to get my haricot beans for 1,50€ a Kg as there will be nobody there !

We've just had hailstones the size of marbles. .
Oi,Jon, it's me that's got the "pessimistic about the weather" gig on this site.

Seriously,though,it's looking quite nice this morning. My lot have just disappeared down to Ceret market,so I guess that, and your one in Thuir will be chokka again.
Bill O'Rikki
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Bill O'Rikki »

Looks a bit old though...think that the engine might be coffin.

Also the body might need attention.......