Passport renewal

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Passport renewal

Post by john »

This concerns those UK passport holders who live here permanently. I'm sure by now you've read the details of the decision by UKPA to move all passport processing for French residents from Paris Embassy to London,and the increase in time lag that this will no doubt cause.

During my recent trip back to UK,my wife and I decided to renew ours while actually in the country. We used the one day premium service,and I cannot speak highly enough of this service. We made an prior appointment at the Peterborough office (this can be done no more than 14 days ahead). We turned up at the appointed hour. There was no queue/delay. Just handed the filled form,two photos and our old passports to the clerk,who checked everything,and simply told us to pay the fee and return in 4 hours. This we did,looking round the shops in Peterborough City centre,had a bite to eat/coffee,then returned to the passport office,where our new passports were handed over to us with no delay. The fee for this is about £120 each,which is less than sending it via Paris,and only a small premium over the standard service,with all the worries about delays,post etc.

Clearly this service is only of use if you can stay cheaply somewhere near a Passport office,and go back to the UK for at least a couple of days,and merely want to renew an existing passport,but if these apply,then in my opinion this is far preferable to the worries of sending it by post via Paris/UK,particularly,if,like me, being without a passport for several weeks is simply not an acceptable option.
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

This is what I did a couple of years ago when I needed a clear 6 months on my (then) still-current-for-4-months passport, so that I could travel more widely than the usual Europe runs. They did add on the 4 remaining months onto my new passport.

However, before the 'big' trip I needed my passport for those little trips too. The express service solved that problem, as I didn't have to part with my passport, and as John says, it removed the worry of it being lost/delayed/stolen/otherwise evaporated in the post.

In addition to what you have said John, I would just add that I was told to provide a temporary UK address on the form, and to accompany the application with a covering letter from the occupier of that address to say I was staying there (which I was!!!)

Easy peasy. No doubt they have satisfactorily finished the building works in P'borough town centre since then?
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

passport

Post by Sue »

I have read nothing on changes to renewing a UK passport for those resident in France. I have looked on the internet but have found nothing. Could you point me in the right direction John.
Dylan
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Here you are Sue.

http://www.connexionfrance.com/british- ... ticle.html

Interestingly,and relating to the point made by t'other Sue,at no stage were we ever asked for any "proof of address",though of course we did have to put one down (perfectly accurately) on the application form.

I never see what relevance a proof of address would be on a passport renewal. A passport is in no way any sort of verification of residency/address;it is purely a personal identification document. Your address is never mentioned on your passport. Perhaps we have honest faces !

Building work does indeed seem to have finished in Peterborough centre,though there are plenty of people looking for work there in that regard. We were unusual walking round the Cathedral Sq shops,in that we were not Latvian,Polish,Lithuanian,Estonian or Portuguese.....
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

passport

Post by Sue »

Cant believe I hadnt seen it as we get The Connexion. Just hadnt got round to reading it! From the article it all seems rather hit and miss, with as usual the left hand not knowing what the right is doing. France doesnt seem to want to give up sending the new ones out. If a simple letter can get lost in the post or should I say between offices then there is no hope for a passport between Uk and France. Think we will stay in Cardiff for a couple of days next year when hubby's runs out!
Dylan
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

I have just sent off my passport for renewal. It no longer goes to the Embassy in Paris. It goes to Newcastle.

What I find disgusting is that they do not ask you to send it recorded so I put it in normal post costing 1.35€ they on the other hand are charging me over 20€ to post my new one out!
Let's see if it does arrive by courier, my last renewal from Paris was supposed to come via DHL....they claimed they had tried to deliver it( I did not receive a notice) and then sent it back to Paris......who then popped it in letter post, arriving cheznous 2 days later. A few phone calls and a letter of complaint saw a swift refund of postage.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Thanks for that info Opas. Had no idea we had to apply to Newcastle now for renewal of passports.
Dylan
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Go to the french embassy, passport renewal, fill in an online form, only when you print a copy to sign do you get an address to send your photos/application. I found it amusing to think the kudos of the staff working in passport renewal in Paris are now speaking with a different accent.... :lol:
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

There is even a site for Brits in other EU countries on the Brit Passport Renewal website dont need to go onto the Embassy site anymore.
Dylan
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

My passport arrived yesterday morning at 8 am via DHL.

I must say the new version is rather cheap looking inside, the paper quality is poor and even though I sent a beautifull photo :oops: it is not very clear.
Debeneur.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

May be they thought it looke better not very clear. :wink: :lol:
Dylan
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Agreed : :roll: I could be any grey haired woman with glasses! I will update when my 2 gorgeous daughters passports arrive :P
Debeneur.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Brilliant! I have just read on the homepage that passport aplications for overseas brits will be reduced, they should come in a Christmas cracker!
I applied for my daughters around the 3 Feb , someone phoned me about my own aplication on the 16 feb, so I asked on the status of my daughtzrs, and was informed the documentation was being checked and the photos had gone to scan;
on 25 feb was informed youngests photo did not conform( reflection from her spectacles), then in a letter 2 days later informed eldests form was damaged, not by me thats for sure.
The passports finaly arrived today, but in an email received this afternoon from the passport office they did not know when they would be sent out.
It has been a very expensive stressfull time and I am so pleased that it will be another 10 years before I need to renew it again.
Goodluck to anyone doing a renewal.
Debeneur.