EU Vehicle Registration

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

Eamon Avis
Rank 3
Rank 3

EU Vehicle Registration

Post by Eamon Avis »

There has been discussion on other forums about registering and using vehicles in other EU countries which has raised some important points which some may not be aware of here.

A vehicle can only be legally registered in the EU country where the registered keeper has permanent residence. By definition, a secondary or holiday home is not a permanent residence.

It is against the law for a permanent resident of an EU country, whilst in that country of residence, to drive any vehicle registered in another EU country.

A permanent resident of an EU country can drive their vehicle registered at their permanent home address, for up to 6 months in another EU country.

http://ec.europa.eu/youreurope/citizens ... dex_en.htm
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: EU Vehicle Registration

Post by john »

Eamon Avis wrote:It is against the law for a permanent resident of an EU country, whilst in that country of residence, to drive any vehicle registered in another EU country.
Eamon,I'm sure a lot of this is the case,but the point above cannot possibly be true . If it was,how would car hire companies deal with cross border hirings ?
Eamon Avis
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Eamon Avis »

Let's say you were a permanent resident of Spain and hired a car in Girona and crossed the border in it into France. When you arrived in France you will not be in your country of residence (i.e. Spain) so you can lawfully drive the car in France.

I think there are some dispensations to this rule for cross border workers.

Here is some information about cross border workers.

http://ec.europa.eu/youreurope/citizens ... dex_en.htm
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

But I am a resident of France. So are you saying that if I hired a car in Girona (or my son did and put me as additional driver) I'd not be allowed to drive it here in France ?!
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Eamon Avis wrote: It is against the law for a permanent resident of an EU country, whilst in that country of residence, to drive any vehicle registered in another EU country.
Surely this is only intended to apply to vehicles that you own yourself? If my son drives his English registered car over here am I not allowed to drive it even though his insurance allows it?

Russell.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

russell wrote:
Eamon Avis wrote: It is against the law for a permanent resident of an EU country, whilst in that country of residence, to drive any vehicle registered in another EU country.
Surely this is only intended to apply to vehicles that you own yourself? If my son drives his English registered car over here am I not allowed to drive it even though his insurance allows it?

Russell.
My point precisely,Russell.

If this indeed the new law then it's pretty much impossibe to enforce,and therefore stupid.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

:cry:
Last edited by thumbelina on Mon 20 Jun 2011 09:45, edited 1 time in total.
Eamon Avis
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Eamon Avis »

The title of the thread is "EU vehicle registration" and the point I was trying to highlight was that if you become resident in another EU country you must register your vehicle and get it on that country's number plates as soon as possible so that tax is paid to the country in which you now permanently reside.

I take the point that John and Russell are making and it would be clearer if after vehicle "owned by them" was inserted.