New Speed Limits for Spain from 7-3-2011

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

mrob343
Rank 4
Rank 4

New Speed Limits for Spain from 7-3-2011

Post by mrob343 »

Hi
Thought you may be interested to hear that as from the 7th of March new speed limits will be in operation on the Spanish road network in a bid to save fuel.

More info here:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/offbeat/story/20 ... t-oil.html
Cheers :wink:
Rob
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Thanks Rob. Forewarned is forearmed. I did catch the tail end of this story on Spanish radio the other day,but did not realise it was coming in as soon as this Monday .

It'll be interesting to see how strictly it's enforced. In my experience,there was not much enforcement of the existing 120 kph limit !
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Received a press release this am from the police press service which explains it a bit and says it will be enforced 'with rigour'

http://www.anglophone-direct.com/Driving-through-Spain
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Kate wrote:and says it will be enforced 'with rigour'
Well, the folk haring at breakneck speed up and down the AP-7 in Dusseldorf/Cologne/ Essen registered Mercs,Beemers and Audis are in for a bit of a shock then.......
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Quote from Rob's reference: "A typical engine consumes roughly 15 per cent less gasoline by slowing that much."

It is true that the engine will consume about 15% less (nearer 16 according to my calculations) but this is per hour, not per kilometer. The actual saving on a fixed distance is about 8%. Also, much driving is done in towns at varying speeds and the biggest waste of fuel is hard braking where the energy you have paid for is turned into waste heat! Teaching people to allow the vehicle to slow down naturally when approaching an obstruction would save more fuel.

I think the Spanish government will be disappointed with the results.

Russell.
rhys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rhys »

Yes- and they would be able to slow down gradually if they would only keep a truly safe distance from the car in front - but that isn't going to happen in my lifetime.

:evil:
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Didn't the Americans bring in a similar speed reduction (to 55mph) to save fuel in the 70's /80's ? It was such a failure that it's since been rescinded !
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

john wrote:Didn't the Americans bring in a similar speed reduction (to 55mph) to save fuel in the 70's /80's ? It was such a failure that it's since been rescinded !
Can't have been that much of a failure. It lasted for thirteen years. Now speed limits vary from state to state, most confusing for the visitor.

Russell.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

russell wrote:
john wrote:Didn't the Americans bring in a similar speed reduction (to 55mph) to save fuel in the 70's /80's ? It was such a failure that it's since been rescinded !
Can't have been that much of a failure. It lasted for thirteen years. Now speed limits vary from state to state, most confusing for the visitor.

Russell.
Well the point I was making was that if it had been useful or positive,it would not have been rescinded at all,Russell. Just because something is persevered with for 13 yrs does not make it a success !

But yes,it is rather odd that the limits are different in each state,isn't it ?