Selling an unregistered, exported English car

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

aclarke
Rank 0
Rank 0

Selling an unregistered, exported English car

Post by aclarke »

Hi All,

First post on the forum, and a bit of a tricky situation.

I have a Renault Clio, that was exported from the UK (still on UK plates), but that has never been registered in France. It is sitting on my drive in France, and I am wanting to get rid of it.

The car works, but would need a LOT of work done in order to ge through a controle technique, which isn't really financially viable.

I would like to sell/give it away - how would i go about transferring ownership without a carte grise? I can't sell it by transferring ownership on the UK registration document, as it is exported.

I am just worried that if i sold it, and somebody then crashed it still in my name, it might cause a lot of problems. Would a signed copy of a letter, both in French and English to say that they are buying the car for spares/repair and that it is not roadworthy cover me?

Or is this a job for the scrap yard?

Thanks!

Adrian
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

Hi, if you are giving it away I might know somebody who is interested, where abouts are you?
Lisa
mpprh
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mpprh »

The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

One of my workers has just had her car smashed in an accident and is looking for a cheap replacement. I mentioned this car but she thought it would cost more to get it reregistered than the car is actually worth. If that's the case, selling it for scrap and spares is the best option.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Hi Adrian and welcome
I have just been working on an article about this for the next PO Life. This is what I have been sent so far... Bear in mind that I havent yet checked anything out but I got this from the gendarmes so it MUST be true. :lol:
(this is only just started by the way, very rough so don't look at mistakes!)

How to Recycle Your Old Car

If you have been wondering what do with the old heap rusting away in the garden, you will be happy to know that it is easy, and free to scrap your car.

Risks to the environment
Every year in France more than 1,5 million de vehicles are scrapped. A VHU (véhicule hors d’usage) can pollute both ground and water, due to the various liquids they contain such as oil, brake fluid and coolant, battery…… These hazardous wastes need special treatment to prevent any risk of pollution

Under Article R 322-9 of the Highway Code, owners of a VHU must dispose of the vehicle via an approved wrecker, (un démolisseur or broyeur agréé) who complies with environmentally friendly processing requirements.

Your local prefecture will be able to provide you with a list of approved wreckers.

The service is free, although a charge may be made if the vehicle has to be towed to the breaker’s yard.

Once the vehicle has been delivered to the breakers yard, you have 15 days to make the declaration of surrender for destruction from the prefecture of your choice using the reporting form of transfer.

Think you can download the form here https://www.formulaires.modernisation.g ... erfa=13754 but havent looked into it properly yet.

Best of luck. Do let us know how it goes.

Kate
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

I suppose the all important question here is; does this apply to cars that do not have a carte gris, ie knackered brit reg cars........
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Ah, good point. Dunno!