ID Or Passport?

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

ID Or Passport?

Post by opas »

I need some confirmation please.

We are undecided whether to go to Mallorca or Uk for half term..........decissions! decissions!

The crux of it is that our daughters friends mum has to go into hospital and has asked us if we can look after our daughters friend for the holidays.

No problem, we will buy another flight, simple.

The problem being that the friend does not have a passport only a Frnech ID card and is under 18.

The mum says that French can travel on ID card, I know that ..............But not to UK . She disputes that.

Am I correct.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Nigel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Nigel »

I did notice a couple of French girls using ID to enter UK at Stansted last week....they were 18+
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

I'm pretty sure under 18s have to have a parental authorisation to travel outside "metropolitan" France. Our daughter was 16 when she went on a trip to Germany sponsored by the Thuir College and she had to have one. The mairie should know! Further, should get a carte Européen to cover for the carte vitale outside FR within the EU - free and valid one year. Alternatively, travel insurance cover.

I think for the UK the ID should be OK as long as the parental authority is shown with it. Knowing the UK, it may be necessary to get that translated as the pass controllers cannot be relied on to understand French!
I deal in Logic!
"Magic" is applied science far in advance of our current technology.
mand
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mand »

hubby is french, he always uses his french ID card for travelling to the UK.
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

Hi, we have taken my kids friends to england with us, all under 18, they can go with id card ( check it is not out of date!!) and you need a letter signed by parents authorising them to leave the country with you. Letter can be in french or english , never had any problems.
hope this helps
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

I did know about the permission thing from the Maire, I thought that because UK are not part of the shengen(sp) agreement that a passport was needed to enter UK

Will check with my mate the secretaire on Monday.

:cry: There will be 3 unhappy youths if a passport is needed, not because of time, I think there is enough of that but money wise, as a ticket will be needed too!

They have set their minds to Blackpool pleasure beach, The sandcastle and the illuminations with a bag of fish and chips!
They are not interested in Mallorca!!!!
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
mpprh
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mpprh »

opas wrote:
They have set their minds to Blackpool pleasure beach, The sandcastle and the illuminations with a bag of fish and chips!
They are not interested in Mallorca!!!!
I think I'd settle on Mallorca and the occasional fish and chips ?

Maybe also an English breakfast, steak & kidney, English draught beer, Coronation St on the box ......
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Check with the airline, if they won't accept her ID to get on the plane then UK border control is irrelevant.

Ryanair's rules are here http://www.ryanair.com/en/questions/wha ... ir-flights
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

my kids travel to england on their french id card and have never had any problems, their friends just needed a letter from their parents and not the mairie. my youngest has not got a passport or my husband and we went to england last summer, gave id cards and no problem there. A friend of my son was refused boarding once because his id card had expired.
miaviv
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by miaviv »

You definitely need an "autorisation de sortie du territoire" from the Mairie which the parents have to apply for. children can then travel into the Uk on just a French ID card.

This authorisation document is more for the French authorities (passport control etc on this side) rather than for the British border control who aren't really bothered about it to be honest.

My husband and I once flew from Barcelona with both our children to England for christmas and had never thought of getting an authorisation as we were all together and it would be us giving permission anyway. The check in girl was adamant that we wouldn't be able to leave Spain without one but the passport control guys didn't even ask for it !!! Lots of stress for nothing.

You do however need it to leave France with children especially other people's !
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Authorisation to take your own kids out of the country! someone was full of their own non importance there :roll:

In the end we just went as a family, but asked at immigration/passport control at Liverpool.............so it must be true! just an ID card and the authorisation paper, I know for next time, though why i would want someone elses offspring as well as my own is another matter. :lol:
Debeneur.
lickteeth

Re

Post by lickteeth »

My uncle lives in Europe. He has a 15 years old son. He uses its ID for traveling. So you may contact the embassy for further details.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

OOh thanks for that, fancy knowing someone that lives in Europe :wink:
Debeneur.