Rte to Barcelona Airport

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

collioure_bee
Rank 4
Rank 4

Rte to Barcelona Airport

Post by collioure_bee »

Got a couple of friends coming over in two weeks, and the stupid mares thought that because Ryan Air say Girona Barcelona it would be sensible to book the £20 cheaper each flight on easy jet to the same airport ie Barcelona!!!!!

I want to get there the cheapest way and was thinking of just going early, making a day of it (got to be there by 2pm) and just going down the RN. Looking at the map, it splits just south of Girona and one route takes the coast and goes through Barca, although it looks like a dual carraigeway all the way, and the other joins the autopista just outside the city.

Anyone done either of these routes? Not keen on going through Barca as don't really know my way round there. Any tips and how long do you think the RN will take?

I don't mind being told I am stupid for going this way as it's no more economical. I just want some honest advice.
"She knew the price of everything, but the value of nothing"

If it's hard to do, it's not worth doing.
mrob343
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Rte to Barcelona Airport

Post by mrob343 »

collioure_bee wrote:Got a couple of friends coming over in two weeks, and the stupid mares thought that because Ryan Air say Girona Barcelona it would be sensible to book the £20 cheaper each flight on easy jet to the same airport ie Barcelona!!!!!

I want to get there the cheapest way and was thinking of just going early, making a day of it (got to be there by 2pm) and just going down the RN. Looking at the map, it splits just south of Girona and one route takes the coast and goes through Barca, although it looks like a dual carraigeway all the way, and the other joins the autopista just outside the city.

Anyone done either of these routes? Not keen on going through Barca as don't really know my way round there. Any tips and how long do you think the RN will take?

I don't mind being told I am stupid for going this way as it's no more economical. I just want some honest advice.
Tell them to catch the train to Girona mate,then go and pick them up! :lol:
Cheers :wink:
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Rte to Barcelona Airport

Post by Allan »

mrob343 wrote:
Tell them to catch the train to Girona mate,then go and pick them up! :lol:
Cheers :wink:
Or the train to Figueres!

Either of the main roads will do you but in my experience it is easier to take the Ronda to the North of Barcelona and just follow the airport signs.
collioure_bee
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by collioure_bee »

Cheers Allan, I'll take that one then.

thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

When all's said and done they could catch the train to bloody Collioure to save you the pain of fetching them!
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

I do the trip to Barca regularly,and after the peage at LaRoca all the various Rondas/Autopistas/Roads are free through/round Barcelona anyway,so ,it makes no odds and basically you choose how to get there...if you want it to be free you'll just have to avoid the AP-7...and then take whichever road through/round the city you fancy.

In my experience,it depends on the time of day. At rush hour times the Ronda Littoral is horrendous,so take the Ronda Dalt or even stick to the Autopista. But at less busy times,the Ronda Littoral is OK,and,if you want to stop off in the interesting parts of the city,it offers the easiest access.

But ,as Allan and Rob say,if money is the issue,then the train is the cheapest option.

There again,flying into Perpignan would probably have been even cheaper,in the first place!!!!!!
collioure_bee
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by collioure_bee »

Cheers John.

They thought that because Ryan Air said Girona was Barcelona they were using the same airport. They saved about twenty quid each, wish they'd checked first! Would love them to have flown to Perpignan but there you go.

Promised them I'd get them so I have to. :cry:

I'll just take the route to as far down the AP7 as I can before having to join. Am I right in understanding the AP7 around Barca is free anyway? I seem to remember it is well signposted.

Got to be at airport before two pm so going to give myself a good three and a half hours to poodle down the RN as far as possible. Is that enough?

john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Yes,all the "rondas" round Barca are free,and very well signposted,though it pays to be in the correct lane good and early!

Personally,if you are determined to use just the free roads to get to the Barcelona area,I'd leave more than 3.5 hrs to the airport. At busy times ,it's taken us over 3 using the Autopista!

Dont forget that Easyjet use Terminal 2C (the old one) at BCN these days. And there is a fair distance between the 2 terminals ,and they use separate approach roads.
collioure_bee
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by collioure_bee »

WOW, biting off more than I can chew here lol.

Cheers for the warning on the terminals too, I have been asking them but no response yet.

Keep your fingers crossed and thanks for the help/advice.