help - unregistered car sales

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

mammadee
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mammadee »

We sold a second-hand car to a dealer 3 years ago as part of a part-exchange deal. We've just been contacted by a management company saying the car has been abandoned on their property and we are still the legal owners, presumably as the carte grise has never been changed. What can/mustwe do about this to affirm that we are no longer the owners? Does anyone out there know what to do? :?
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

I think there is tear off bit of the CG which has to be posted off by the vendor. If you didn't do this at the time (it looks like you didn't) then maybe you have some paperwork from the sale/exchange which would prove you are not the legal owner. Hope so
mammadee
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mammadee »

Thanks Sue and Paul. We sold the car to a dealer in part exchange for another. The CG on existing car says to send off slip only if sale is to private buyer. Otherwise dealer will do it.
it was 3 years ago, but I think this is what happened. As to the sales document, it's the only piece of paper we can't find, and the dealer seems to have gone out of business! I'm wondering if we can swear some sort of attestation at the prefecture - do you or anybody else out there know?
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

car

Post by tia »

Hi, did you not have to give a copy of the certificat de vente to your insurance company to prove you no longer needed to insure the car? if you did they will have a copy in their records normally.
Lisa
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

I should imqgine that a sworn attn should do it, it is taken very seriously, I have done one for various things in the past, and it has ended the problem.

I should imagine that if anyone did one of those and it was later proved to e false than the doda would hit the fan.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
mammadee
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mammadee »

Tia and Opas especially - thanks for the advice, we went to our insurers who were really helpful (Cabinet Ondedieu/Generali in Argeles village). They phoned to Ceret subprefecture, provided and completed on our behalf a certificat de vente which we took to Ceret where the details were entered on the system and an attestation de vente master copy provided. We are now assured that the matter is closed and we are out of trouble! Thanks again all of you for helpful advice.