Warning - Ryanair trick when booking or checking in

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

Mimmi
Rank 2
Rank 2

Warning - Ryanair trick when booking or checking in

Post by Mimmi »

I don't know if this has been discussed on the forum yet. When you either book a Ryanair flight or check in they introduced a few weeks ago this page offering you the following:
"your booking is complete. Click here to claim your 10£ cash back incentive on your next Ryanair booking!"
Unfortunately my partner clicked on it believing that he will get a refund for his next Ryanair booking. They asked for his credit card no and he gave it to them.
Pity he did not read smaller printed second line "By clicking this you can claim your reward from our preferred partner when you join their programme. Terms and conditions apply."
What made it additionally difficult for him was that the link to the next page i.e. the boarding pass he actually was trying to print was only very small at the top of the page.
It turned out that he is now a member of "shoppers discount" with a monthly membership fee of £10. They deducted the first £10 yesterday. They are saying in their email that you can cancel the "membership" (he never wanted to be a member of anything) any time. We will try and see if it works.
He knows now he should have read it more carefully, but it is very tricky and we are just warning anyone not to fall for it.
Disgusting that Ryanair allows that to happen on their homepage. :evil: :evil: :evil: It might be legal but it is certainly a trap! Has any of you had any experience with the same thing? :!: :!:
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Yes,Mimi,I did have a look at this link when they first started it a couple of months back.

Being a regular Ryan booker I rather suspected that it would be another of their (many) scams. I was not disappointed......But I declined their kind offer anyway.

Even now I've not quite come to terms with the fact that you have to click on some very small blue words to print off your boarding pass. Nearly fell foul of it as recently as yesterday!

Ryan have what is basically a very good product. I just cannot see why they seem determined to piss off their customers with tricks like this. Amazing.
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

Amazingly, I have managed to make 5 Ryanair bookings this week without making any mistakes.
Well, none that I have realised yet.
Fingers crossed.
I still find the whole booking business and (especially) the online check-in procedure very nerve-wracking.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

That's right Pol. I now make a note never to try booking a Ryanair flight when overtired, rushed for time or under the influence of alcohol. Perhaps the booking site should come with a government warning :lol:
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
Mimmi
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mimmi »

you are absolutely right Santiago. the whole thing happened when we were in a rush and did not read every single line carefully.