driving licence

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

mand
Rank 4
Rank 4

driving licence

Post by mand »

we are due to move to france permantly in October not sure about the french driving licence, in the uk we have to pay £20 every ten years to have our photo card updated, does this also happen with a french driving licence?

which is the most cost effective and advantagous hanging onto my uk one or changing to a french one?
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

If you have a French one and get done for an infraction, the points will go on your French one.

If you keep your English one and get done for an infraction, you don't get any points, just the fine.

Are you a law abiding poodler or liable to do a Michael Schumacher on the country lanes??? ...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

driving licence

Post by Sue »

You will know much more about this Thumbers being married to a "local" than me but I always understood that if your offence incurred penalty points then you automatically had to surrender your english licence and take a french one in order that the points could be noted. Is this not the case.
Dylan
mand
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mand »

thanks both.

what are the costs for a french licence?
do you have to have any sort of test or medical?
do you have to keep paying to replace every 10 years or so like the uk.

thumbs i am definately a dawdler and dreading getting behind the wheel on the roads in the 66 where they tend to drive with their foot to the floor.

so apologies in advance if you should see a black citroen C4 crawling along until i get used to it.

even the thought makes me nervous, hubby who is french always does the driving in france but i suppose i am going to have to get used to driving there myself
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

driving licence

Post by Sue »

I think they drive quite slowly in the PO area until they come to a roundabout or junction and then its full speed ahead. When I return to England my daughter tells me I dawdle. I think its a mph/kph thing!!
Dylan
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

lol - no idea, Sue. I have a friend who got done several times and he was instructed to get a French licence but he wasn't asked to surrender his English one lol!

I'm still on my English one, Mand, but then I'm a good law abiding citizen who hasn't transgressed (yet! lol)

By the way, Mand, please do me a favour! Please avoid the Vallespir in July and August! :D :D :D :D

merci beaucoup! :D :D :wink:
mand
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mand »

thumbelina wrote:lol - no idea, Sue. I have a friend who got done several times and he was instructed to get a French licence but he wasn't asked to surrender his English one lol!

I'm still on my English one, Mand, but then I'm a good law abiding citizen who hasn't transgressed (yet! lol)

By the way, Mand, please do me a favour! Please avoid the Vallespir in July and August! :D :D :D :D

merci beaucoup! :D :D :wink:

No worries there Thumbs :lol: to what i've heard of the traffic for july and august i will not be going anywhere (i know i'm a chicken).
We have friends in banyuls sur mer and it is those roads that i am absolutely dreading why did the expressway have to stop at port vendres....i love the coastal view but hate the windy narrow roads
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Sue is right. If you transgress,and are stopped by a Gendarme, then in due course,when they catch up with you, you'll have to change from a UK licence to French one. I speak from bitter experience here. Though in practice it was very simple,and, for French standards, bureaucracy -free. No fee,no medical,no mess. Just a simple form that even an idiot like me had no difficulty in filling in.If you get flashed by a camera,then of course you just pay the fine and keep schtumm. BTW,I don't think it's permitted to hold two EU licences at once,so,technically ,Thumbers friend is breaking the law.

Of course the flip side is that, if and when you drive in the UK,then the cameras/old bill cannot put points on your licence for infractions there !
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

I traded my Spanish license to the French version and it was almost free. There might have been a small amount but not much. BUT, this license will be valid for years and years. Normally there's no limit, if you don't have any problem. Some people say you have to do a medical but I'm not sure if this is correct. I know quite a few French who are in their mid-eighties and they're still running along.

My French license was issued in 1994 and it's still valid. It's getting ragged but sooner or later I can get them to re-issue this again.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

We recently changed over to French driving licences since it seemed easier than trying to get our English ones renewed.
Good news - it was completely free!
Took the usual gumph into our local mairie (photos, elec bill and so on), filled in a form and that was that.
A week or so later there was a note in our letterbox to say the licences were ready to be picked up.
No test, no medical and no expiry date (except for driving buses, towing caravans, driving artics - I've only just noticed this. If I want to drive a coach I have to do it before 11th August this year for some reason!)
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

polremy wrote: I've only just noticed this. If I want to drive a coach I have to do it before 11th August this year for some reason!)
Well this is serious news. It's been my lifetime's ambition to ride in a coach with Pol at the wheel.

And now she tells me that there are only fifteen days left to fufil my dream.....

We'd better get cracking PR and get that mystery tour arranged.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

I believe that the date limit on driving heavy vehicles and minibuses etc., on the French permis is only because a medical will be required at that date although I haven't tested it as I have no need at present. Ask at the Mairie if you need it.

Russell.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

lmao!

Without wishing to be rude, or suggest that you can't read, Pol, are you absolutely SURE that your licence says that you can drive a coach?

In the UK, to drive a coach, a PSV licence is required, and I would imagine something similar is required for France. Particularly as, for example, in the UK you can drive a small truck on a standard car licence where, in France, you can't even drive a bloody trailer without a licence for it!!

And you're quite right, Russell, for the permis PL regular medicals are required as, I would have thought, they are for a PSV licence.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

It is true,Thumbs. On my licence there is a symbol suggesting I can drive a coach,though,I guess in practice this may mean minibus.

So,if PR cannot provide the transport,then it looks like it may be down to me to do the driving on the mystery tour.....
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

thumbelina wrote:lmao!

Without wishing to be rude, or suggest that you can't read, Pol, are you absolutely SURE that your licence says that you can drive a coach?

In the UK, to drive a coach, a PSV licence is required, and I would imagine something similar is required for France. Particularly as, for example, in the UK you can drive a small truck on a standard car licence where, in France, you can't even drive a bloody trailer without a licence for it!!

And you're quite right, Russell, for the permis PL regular medicals are required as, I would have thought, they are for a PSV licence.
I'm as surprised as you are, Thumbers.
Never looked at the licence closely before.
It even looks as if I can drive a coach with a trailer!!!!!!!!
Let me rephrase that: looks as if I am PERMITTED to drive a coach with a trailer - I certainly wouldn't be ABLE to.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

john wrote:It is true,Thumbs. On my licence there is a symbol suggesting I can drive a coach,though,I guess in practice this may mean minibus.

So,if PR cannot provide the transport,then it looks like it may be down to me to do the driving on the mystery tour.....
John
Maybe this means that you should be riding on a coach~not driving?????????????

Sorry

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
collioure_bee
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by collioure_bee »

I've still got my grotty old pink licence from years back, all held together with sellotape! :lol:
"She knew the price of everything, but the value of nothing"

If it's hard to do, it's not worth doing.
mpprh
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mpprh »

20+ years ago, old time expats told me "before leaving UK report your license lost and get a copy"

At that time you had to exchange your EU licences within 3 months and the theory was that either UK, or the adopted country, may lose the files.

Peter
Last edited by mpprh on Tue 27 Jul 2010 22:30, edited 1 time in total.
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

russell wrote:I believe that the date limit on driving heavy vehicles and minibuses etc., on the French permis is only because a medical will be required at that date although I haven't tested it as I have no need at present. Ask at the Mairie if you need it.

Russell.
or the FCOS / FMOS needs renewing. One big rip off, 400 euros every 4/5 years.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

collioure_bee wrote:I've still got my grotty old pink licence from years back, all held together with sellotape! :lol:
Oh boy, Outies looked like that! one of the reasons he changed his . The other being that no one would take him on without doing so.....infact I think he had to do it to do the FCOS.

I am suprised your ex employer took you on with it.

PS paul, pm me qnd let me know how you are doing.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
mpprh
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mpprh »

collioure_bee wrote:I've still got my grotty old pink licence from years back, all held together with sellotape! :lol:

I've got a couple of the red cardboard ones that they used to send back when the address changed.

Peter
The Languedoc Page
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

There seems to be some confusion over what you can drive on a French permis.

Thumbelina - you are entitled to drive a car, van, lorry, or camper-van with a trailer provided the trailer is no more than 750kg and the total weight of vehicle and trailer is no more than 3.5t.

The FCOS is only required if you drive a heavy vehicle professionally. If your UK licence allowed you to drive a rigid lorry of between 3.5 and 7.5t (depends on when you first obtained your license), you are permitted to drive the same vehicle and an artic of up to 12t on the replacement permis privately but for a limited time.

One bonus on the french permis is that you can drive a moto of up to 125cc on a car license.

Russell.
mpprh
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mpprh »

russell wrote: One bonus on the french permis is that you can drive a moto of up to 125cc on a car license.

Russell.
Is that as a provisional license ?

Peter
The Languedoc Page
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

Don't worry, Russ, I have no confusion.

I drive on an English licence until I have to change for one reason or another.

When I need to change, French hubby (who also has every driving licence possible in France except for super PL) will sort out what I can and can't drive.

Simples! :D
collioure_bee
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by collioure_bee »

Because I used to drive a seven point five tonne lorry for a certain amount of time, I am entitled, and have driven on my old battered licence. I think it is something to do with the date you passed your test as they changed the law eu wise on seven point five tonners, but for those already driving them it was ok to continue.
"She knew the price of everything, but the value of nothing"

If it's hard to do, it's not worth doing.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

I think that's correct,Bee. When we were moving I looked to hire two 7.5 tonners,one to be driven by me;another to be driven by my son in law. There was no problem as regards me driving one on my car licence,as apparently I passed my test in the 1970's. But because son in law only passed his in the 90's he was not able to do likewise.

A daft situation,but it also always struck me as pretty odd that ,on the strength of having driven a Mini for a few miles,that entitled me to take to the wheel of a damn great box sided truck !
mand
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mand »

i've been having a look on the net about moving abroad and using my UK licence and it says i don't need to inform DVLA of change of address if moving abroad.

Is this correct? :shock: i find it very strange considering that DVLA are always banging on about it's a criminal offence not to inform them of new address.

i don't want to end up falling foul of any laws
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

When we moved here,Mand,the DVLA told me that they would not register a Driving Licence, or send it to ,an address outside the UK. As we had a "tame" address in the UK,then that did not in practice matter,but yes,I see your point. It does seem rather daft that there are probably thousands of folk running around Europe with licences bearing the address of their last residence in the UK,but one they have no connection with now.

So are you saying they've changed the rule on foreign addresses?
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

mpprh wrote:
Is that as a provisional license ?

Peter
No, it is effectively a full licence. The restriction is 125 cc maximum up to 11 kW (about 15 bhp) power. So you can join the little s***s who knock out the baffles from their silencers and buzz up and down the streets all day!

Russell.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

mand wrote:i've been having a look on the net about moving abroad and using my UK licence and it says i don't need to inform DVLA of change of address if moving abroad.

Is this correct? :shock: i find it very strange considering that DVLA are always banging on about it's a criminal offence not to inform them of new address.

i don't want to end up falling foul of any laws
It's because they are not allowed to put an address outside the UK on a UK licence. Another good reason to swap for a French one. Now that the Cart de Sejour has gone for EU citizens it is the only form of photo ID you can get with your French address - unless you apply for French citizenship.

Russell.