Ryanair Hand Luggage

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Ryanair Hand Luggage

Post by Allan »

A friend flew to Leeds yesterday from Carcasonne and they weighed everybody's HAND luggage.

This is the first time I have known then do this, her extra kilo cost her £35 as hold luggage

It's within their contractual right but worth warning vistors about
Colin L

Post by Colin L »

Watch the dimensions of your bag too - I have seen regular checks being made
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

Your hand luggage bag has to fit in the cradle they have, so it must be the right height & width.... and now weight.
Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change.
Life's too short to be anything... but happy.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Yep,Allan,they've been doing it since the start of the year. Not on every flight,but just when MOL feels he neds a bit of a cash boost....

At busy places like Stansted they don't because it would be impractical and cause huge queues,but small places like Carcassonne,Perpignan,Leeds,etc it's done routinely.
ruby
Rank 2
Rank 2

hand luggage

Post by ruby »

I recently watched a spanish man at Girona airport try to wedge his bag into the cradle thing and he got it so badly stuck - him and his wife were hanging on the metal whilst someone else was trying to pull it out! :lol:
Ruby

Property Management, Holiday lets & Property Sales in Dept 66
www.lesjoursheureux66.com
Mimmi
Rank 2
Rank 2

no need for warning

Post by Mimmi »

Yes they have been checking weight and size much more regularly than they used to and I am also sometimes a bit nervous when I have half a kilo overweight. But frankly - a warning? The communication is quite clear and everybody knows there are limits even the less frequent travellers. So I think it's up to us to follow the rules or run the risk of paying extra charges. By the way if I had to pay 35 Euro I'd probably rather throw some useless item away.
Mimmi
Rank 2
Rank 2

prive increase

Post by Mimmi »

By the way the prices seem to have gone up. I thought it was 30 before.
molliesassy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by molliesassy »

On a recent late flight from Gerona, Ryanair staff called the flight an hour early and when they had everyone lined up they went down the queue with a box to slot over your baggage to check the size. If the box didnt fit they wheeled the blue cage down to check the bag size again. Then another staff member came down the line with a hand held scales and weighed every bag! There was no getting away with overweight bags :(
"click, click"
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

Wear trousers with pockets in the legs, backside and sides. Fill your pockets.

Wear a coat with pockets in the sleeves, sides, inside. Fill your pockets.

Use a bum-bag, not a handbag (it counts as a belt). Fill it.

Then all you do at security is empty your pockets, take off your 'belt' and bob's your uncle :lol:

So far it has worked for me, but I'm sure there'll be a rule against it soon.

When I have lost enough weight, I'm going to have my surplus skin fashioned into useful pockets about my body :lol: :lol:

Just let them try calling ME an overweight bag :shock:
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

john wrote:Yep,Allan,they've been doing it since the start of the year. Not on every flight,but just when MOL feels he neds a bit of a cash boost....

At busy places like Stansted they don't because it would be impractical and cause huge queues,but small places like Carcassonne,Perpignan,Leeds,etc it's done routinely.
We've had our hand luggage weighed at Stansted a couple of times!
This was at the entrance to passport control, not at the gate.
In retrospect, I don't think it was even Ryanair staff so I wonder why they did it.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: no need for warning

Post by john »

Mimmi wrote:Yes they have been checking weight and size much more regularly than they used to and I am also sometimes a bit nervous when I have half a kilo overweight. But frankly - a warning? The communication is quite clear and everybody knows there are limits even the less frequent travellers. So I think it's up to us to follow the rules or run the risk of paying extra charges. .
Well I wouldn't disagree with any of that Mimmi. The rules are clear.

But what is NOT acceptable is the downright rude manner in which these rules are enforced/payments taken. For example,I've seen people being shouted at and money demanded without so much as a please or thank you.

Sometime I think that FR staff from MOL down forget who is actually the CUSTOMER here.
pfrancis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pfrancis »

Coming back to Girona from East Midlands, just after Christmas, I put my bag on the weighing belt. I was amongst the first in the queue. My rucksack was full of stuff. The pleasant woman pointed out that my bag was 1.4kg over and to immediately remove items. I smiled, and gave her my very best gallic shoulder shrug. I then removed my curry pastes. She then re-weighed the bag at 15.00kg. By then I was really struggling to squeeze all the extra foodstuffs into my already full rucksack. She simply pointed at my case and said "Put those in here my love...." Off whizzed my bag complete with curry pastes etc.. So, as ever, it is how people on the ground interpret 'rules'. I'm sure that in most other cases airport staff are draconian and zero tolerance is their approach.
Paul.
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: no need for warning

Post by polremy »

john wrote:
Mimmi wrote:Yes they have been checking weight and size much more regularly than they used to and I am also sometimes a bit nervous when I have half a kilo overweight. But frankly - a warning? The communication is quite clear and everybody knows there are limits even the less frequent travellers. So I think it's up to us to follow the rules or run the risk of paying extra charges. .
Well I wouldn't disagree with any of that Mimmi. The rules are clear.

But what is NOT acceptable is the downright rude manner in which these rules are enforced/payments taken. For example,I've seen people being shouted at and money demanded without so much as a please or thank you.

Sometime I think that FR staff from MOL down forget who is actually the CUSTOMER here.
I think their attitude is that you have tried to cheat by attempting to carry on or check in more than you are allowed.
Almost as if you are a smuggler.
Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Robert Ferrieux »

[quote="sue and paul"]

Just let them try calling ME an overweight bag :

And don't let them call you old either!
Helen
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

Robert Ferrieux wrote:
sue and paul wrote:
Just let them try calling ME an overweight bag :

And don't let them call you old either!
Helen
They'd never call me 'old' , what, with my looks and vitality!!