Pets on the Eurotunnel

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

Khelia
Rank 0
Rank 0

Pets on the Eurotunnel

Post by Khelia »

Im thinking of a trip to the UK by car via the Eurotunnel. Does anyone know what the regulations are concerning travelling with a dog? I did a search on the internet and it spoke about blood tests and chips but is all that really obligitory? Has anyone travelled with a dog on the Eurotunnel and can help advise me about all the rules. My dof is from the spa and has a tattoo but thats all as far as i know.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Hi Khelia
There are quite a few restrictions. You need a treatment 24 hours before crossing, a doggy passport, all injections up to date......
Others will tell you more as I havent done it for a while but this might help
http://www.anglophone-direct.com/Bringi ... -to-France although I havent updated it for a while and there may well be supplementary info and restrictions to take into account.
Best of luck
CarinaD
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CarinaD »

We're bringing our dog to France for the first time next week, there are a lot of regulations going back into England, it may be an idea to have a chat with your vet. :)
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

We have just come over to France with our dog,she needed a Rabies inoculation, then a blood test to see it worked. She has a passport,and been chipped. Now we have left the UK, we cannot take her back within 6 months of the injection. It is then that customs will make a thorough check of her papers etc.
Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change.
Life's too short to be anything... but happy.
Khelia
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Khelia »

Ok, thanks everyone. Things are a little bit clearer!
Nigel and Karen
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Nigel and Karen »

with all the proper paper work its very easy, UK to France, no checks France to UK a quick check of paper work which only delays you by 5 mins.
cufc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cufc »

Seemed to add a lot to Chunnel cost when we brought ours over in September.
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

£30 we paid , which I didn't think was bad, not sure about September or even if its a set price.

http://www.eurotunnel.com/ukcP3Main/ukc ... Scheme.htm
Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change.
cufc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cufc »

Got to be done. Couldn't leave the fat old German in blighty!!
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

cufc wrote:Got to be done. Couldn't leave the fat old German in blighty!!
....and what about the poor dog...................... :oops: :oops: :oops: sorry..couldn't resist. :roll:
cufc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cufc »

Don't know any other old, fat Germans!!
Khelia
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Khelia »

Nigel and Karen wrote:with all the proper paper work its very easy, UK to France, no checks France to UK a quick check of paper work which only delays you by 5 mins.
Thanks Nigel & Karen. Can you elaborate a bit. I will of course be going from France to the UK, so what checks exactly do they make on the outward journey? My dog has a passport and tatoo but not a microchip and no blood test as far as i know. What minimum details on the paperwork do they check?
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy »

They check the microchip at Calais for entry into the UK they also looked at Ellie's passport to see if the requirements had been fulfilled. A friend of our missed the deadline and had to stay in Calais and have the ticks and tapeworm treatment done again. We have always found them to be thorough from France to the UK. As Nigel says though they just glance at your pet UK to France.
The return cost for our dog has been £30 for the last 2 years travelling July/September.
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

They are very thorough going back into the UK, if your dog has not had a rabies injection and the follow up blood test, it will not be allowed in the UK.
Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Robert Ferrieux »

from Helen

Dogs and cats MUST have a chip (on their shoulder) that has been there at least 6 months.
Plus, of course, the rest of the above info.
For her 2 year sojourn in New Caledonia, Chewy had her chip put in, her blood tested, her passport prepared and numerous other expensive items on the list.
It was then discovered that Chewy's airfare (1 °/° of the First Class fare per kilo of beastie....and Chewy isn't exactly svelte!) came to over three thousand euros (yup - that's three K euros):shock:
Anyway, bon voyage.
:)