Le Boulou Bypass

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

Nigel Bright
Rank 3
Rank 3

Le Boulou Bypass

Post by Nigel Bright »

As I have a house in Le Boulou I was pleased to learn that a bypass would be built around the town to remove the grid lock inside the town during the summer months.
However as most of the traffic jams seem to stem from traffic going backwards and forwards from Perpignan to the coast and Le Perthus I am at a loss to know why they are taking the bypass around the west side of the town (The most expensive option) to the A9 access roundabout when they could have run the road parallel to the TGV to the east directly onto the coast road. (D618)
Also all the bypass traffic going to the coast and Le Perthus still has to drop down onto the top part of the D618, across the river Tech (Always at a standstill during the summer) to get to their destinations.
I must be missing something. Can anyone enlighten me :?: :?:
Brighty
Serge

Post by Serge »

I am confused by the same thing Nigel ....... :?

They had the opportunity to sort it whilst all the TGV work was going on, I can't understand how they could miss such an obvious chance ......

.... is it a French thing?
mrob343
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mrob343 »

Serge wrote:I am confused by the same thing Nigel ....... :?

They had the opportunity to sort it whilst all the TGV work was going on, I can't understand how they could miss such an obvious chance ......

.... is it a French thing?
Gotta agree with you on that Serge. I thought that was a serious bit of non thinking by the dept re holiday traffic.
The one thing neither bypass will stop is traffic from the coast all heading off to spain or pertus,(always on cloudy days :lol: ) if i need to go to ceret i route through the disriport :)
Thanks
Rob
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy »

So do I Rob, how long before they cotton on and stop that? You still get caught up both at the decheterie and interchange roundabouts but it is not as bad.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

There have been claims in various publications that the Boulou Bypass will be open in June.

Now,I'm the first to admit that I'm no civil engineer,but having driven past both termini of it yesterday,and on a bridge over it towards the middle (nr the geranium producers),I have to say that I really cannot see how this road will possibly be open in 2 months time. There is no asphalting done at all,the cuttings and embankments are nowhere near stable,and at the Ceret end,the new bridges aren't even built fully.

More worryingly,I saw absolutely no sign of work in progress at all. They seemed to be busily beavering away in Feb,but it all seems to have ground to a halt.

Does anyone know why this is,and has anyone heard any update as to the projected opening?
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

john wrote:More worryingly,I saw absolutely no sign of work in progress at all. They seemed to be busily beavering away in Feb,but it all seems to have ground to a halt.
Probably similar to...
I deal in Logic!
"Magic" is applied science far in advance of our current technology.
mrob343
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mrob343 »

john wrote:There have been claims in various publications that the Boulou Bypass will be open in June.

Now,I'm the first to admit that I'm no civil engineer,but having driven past both termini of it yesterday,and on a bridge over it towards the middle (nr the geranium producers),I have to say that I really cannot see how this road will possibly be open in 2 months time. There is no asphalting done at all,the cuttings and embankments are nowhere near stable,and at the Ceret end,the new bridges aren't even built fully.

More worryingly,I saw absolutely no sign of work in progress at all. They seemed to be busily beavering away in Feb,but it all seems to have ground to a halt.

Does anyone know why this is,and has anyone heard any update as to the projected opening?
A Bridge John?? At the Ceret end ??
Nah.. there putting in yet another rounderbout to add to the millions in France already :lol:
I've heard its June,but i would'nt hold your breath !! :) :roll:
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

I have today had it explained to me why the Boulou bypass is where it is! :D :D :D :D

Apparently, it is to that side of Boulou to assist with the circulation of the vehicles leaving the Vallespir.

It has NOTHING WHATEVER to do with the tourists as they are only there for two months of the year, it is make the exit of the Vallespir easier for its residents the other ten months of the year.

Quite logical when you think about it really.
:D :D :D :D

And, I'm happy to report that the Mas Sabole end already has some tarmac on it (and lots of trees! :D )
mrob343
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mrob343 »

thumbelina wrote:I have today had it explained to me why the Boulou bypass is where it is! :D :D :D :D

Apparently, it is to that side of Boulou to assist with the circulation of the vehicles leaving the Vallespir.

It has NOTHING WHATEVER to do with the tourists as they are only there for two months of the year, it is make the exit of the Vallespir easier for its residents the other ten months of the year.

Quite logical when you think about it really.
:D :D :D :D

And, I'm happy to report that the Mas Sabole end already has some tarmac on it (and lots of trees! :D )
Thanks for the update Thumbs.. :D But i guess we'll still end up getting stuck behind those camping cars & citroen xsara's .... :( :( :(
Or a citroen Xantier if you're really Lucky. :roll: :wink:
In July and August its not going to change much....???
Dept 57 drivers are a pain ! ??
Cheers :wink:
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

I've always thought that the reason Thumbers gives was the reason for the bypass. I take the Distriport route to the Vallespir or the Peage unless it's late at night or early morning. I never drive to Le Perthus so don't really care about the cheap fag brigade, sorry 8)

Who drives from Perpignan to the coast via Le Boulou :shock: The only people using Le Boulou to get to the coast are coming from the Vallespir or Spain.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Yes,Santiago,that's always been my understanding too. In truth,Le Perthus needs a bypass too,but it would be pretty much impossible to build,certainly at anything less than astronomical cost,both financially and environmentally.

Drove past the work again last night,and Thumbers is right. There is some tarmac finally being laid,but there is NO WAY this will be finished for June.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

A bypass for Perthus is an impossibility, I'm sure you're right there John.

I followed a 57 for 15kms this morning, Rob - going to Perthus AT SEVEN IN THE MORNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bloody camping cars are everywhere - when are they going to bring in a law that senile old gits who can't even drive a bloody mini aren't allowed to drive camping cars????????????? And why are they so pigging ignorant and selfish?????????????????

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Silly season is starting!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

June's two months away, John. I'm still to be convinced it will be late opening though freely admit they look to have a lot of work to do in eight weeks! :D :D :D :D
Serge

Post by Serge »

Le Perthus already has a by-pass - it's the A9!

... although it would probably be cheaper (and better IMHO) to 'bomb' the place rather than build a separate by-pass for the N road ...............
Last edited by Serge on Thu 15 Apr 2010 09:24, edited 1 time in total.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

Quite true, Sergio old bean!
But have you tried to get on the Perthus bypass when the N road is already blocked to Mas Sabole??? :D :D :D :D

The whole place is a bordel in summer (just as John is a grumpy old git about winter, so I am a little less sunny than usual about summer! :D :D :D :D )
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Serge wrote:Le Perthus already has a by-pass - it's the A9!

Well,in fairness,you could also say the same for Boulou........
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

and Perps pareil!

lmao

In fact, the PO has it's very own bypass! But why would you want to????? :D :D :D :D :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Serge

Post by Serge »

... and Perpignan, Beziers, Montpellier etc. etc. ...........

.. come on now JF! you are just (uncharacteristically I might add!) being pedantic now .......... :lol:
Last edited by Serge on Thu 15 Apr 2010 09:38, edited 2 times in total.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Serge said exactly what I was thinking. 60c to avoid Le Perthus is a bargain.

Not sure your can feasibly use the A9 to bypass Le Boulou but I often use it to bypass Perpignan.
Last edited by Santiago on Thu 15 Apr 2010 09:32, edited 1 time in total.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

OK so now I'm the one being pedantic!

It's actually 1€10 to avoid Perthus!

60c this side and 50c the other! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy »

And 60 + 35 if you come off the first Bonquera exit. :lol:
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

Classic, Kathy!!!

Bonquera! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Eamon Avis
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Eamon Avis »

The article on the bypass Local News in the PO (top right on the home page) expresses doubt about it opening on 10 June. What's the latest?
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

Well the kerbstones are in and the preparation for the tarmac has been done but I'm no civil engineer so have no idea what's left to do lol! :lol:

The Boulou end is more advanced than the St Jean end - but that's been the case since day one.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

The tarmac was being laid at the Boulou end this morning when I came to work. The whole site is a real hive of activity!! :D
Eamon Avis
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Eamon Avis »

thumbelina wrote:The tarmac was being laid at the Boulou end this morning when I came to work. The whole site is a real hive of activity!! :D
That's what happens when the contractor is reminded about penalties for not finishing on time!

The big question Thumbers is have you been booked to cut the ribbon on 10 June? :)
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

Sadly, no, Eamon :( :( :( :( :( :lol: :lol: :wink:
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

Well, today is 9 June.

The tarmac is down.

There was no-one there this morning.

There are no white lines.

It is not open.

Cliffhanger for tomorrow!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Ian
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ian »

Drove through Boulou several times today. The bypass is too late to be open for us this holiday - perhaps it will be in September?

Now, there were 6 workmen, well perhaps 4 workmen and two in charge and directing from the sidelines involved in the laying of large cobbles on the roundabout on the Perpignan side. At the end of the day its said BOULOU .

I'm wondering how many youths or even adults with a fine sense of humour will be out there tonight rearranging those cobbles into different words.

Not that that's the sort of thing I would have done of course.
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

And you can't even re-arrange it to make anything rude - or even anything at all.
Shame.
Like a good Countdown challenge, moi.
Ian
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ian »

But the letters are just made up of lots of stones. You can make what letters and words you want. Your imagination can run wild or rude.