Car Hire Gerona

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Car Hire Gerona

Post by Kathy »

I always use Hertz to hire a car as we get discount, but to my surprise there are no cars available for the Feb school holiday period. I am kicking myself for not booking earlier as when I last looked at their prices, when there was a car available, it was going to cost me €70. I have checked Avis and they are nearly double that cost.
Does anyone know of another reasonable car hire firm that doesn't hit you with unmentioned charges (like a full tank of petrol charge then you bring it back empty, which is what Aruga did) that operate from Gerona airport?
Ian
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ian »

Kathy,
You may be unlucky - it is a busy time. But before you give up on Hertz try booking by phone through their central reservations. Sometimes when the website says there are no cars available - They "appear" when booking by phone.

good luck
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy »

We contacted them via e-mail through our gold membership and they said all their cars were booked for our dates. I will try the phone though. Thanks
rbg
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rbg »

I find Nova Car Hire good
Rivesaltes Johnny
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rivesaltes Johnny »

we used www.amigoautos.com my only gripe is that the car hire companies are now starting to charge you to fill the car with fuel and asking you to bring back empty...not an easy task... what seemed good value was not so good when we came to pay. Have always liked Alamo at Perps airport but not on site in Girona...

Goldcar rentals have also been quite good in the past
http://www.goldcar.es/en/
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy »

Thank you everyone I have now booked a car using some spare airmiles. (Avis)
We wouldn't use some of the companies as they want €45 for their tank of petrol when you collect the car and as Rivesaltes Johnny says you take it back empty. Not easy to do, so you are stitched up again.
Hertz and Avis provide you with a full tank included in the hire cost and you take it back full. We never use a full tank of petrol in our short visits so what appears like a cheap hire from some of the broker sites is misleading.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Like you Kathy,I tend to use Hertz,on account of the 5 star Gold card I've had with them for years (free upgrades,extras etc). Europcar and Avis do similar services at GRO,though often Europcar is ridiculously priced.

I've heard good things about Sol Y Mar who operate there,as I've done PepeCar ,but I'm not sure if they do exist at GRO.

Just one point...check to make sure your chosen supplier allows the vehicle to be taken over the border to france without swingeing surcharges. As you say,the "bring it back empty" routine first seen by those lovely honest guys at Larnaca,Cyprus,is a rip-off.
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy »

Thanks for the reminder about over border. I had forgotten about this extra charge from some companies. I have trawled Avis' web site and there is no mention of charges for this. But it does specify where you can't take a vehicle.
Helen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Helen »

I've used Avis several times at Girona. I always tell them I'm taking the car into France and they just smile and say ok! No extra costs.

Their customer service is good and when I wasn't able to fill the tank completely ( strange nozzle) and someone locally charged me for not taking back a full tank, I complained. The money was duly reimbursed.