french travel agents

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

mwana
Rank 2
Rank 2

french travel agents

Post by mwana »

HI

Has anyone ever booked a holiday through a French travel agent? And are we protected by anything similar to Atol? Also does anyone know where I can find a travel agent?

Thanks in advance

Mwana
rbg
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rbg »

Don't know about being insured/protected, but it's much cheaper in Spain for package holidays etc
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Mwana
Where do you want to find an agent. Certainly you could find in Perpignan but probably you might like it somewhere. Give us a hint!

Blackduff
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

Pages Jaunes gives 15 responses in 66
http://www.pagesjaunes.fr
Just type in the boxes
Quoi Qui : agence de voyages
Où : 66

Then scroll down to see the results on the reply page.
For travel insurance - recommend Elvia (Swiss and reliable)!
You can insure through them via any travel egent or airline office.
mwana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mwana »

Hi Blackduff

I'm in St Jean Pla de Corts, Perpignan is accessible but a bit tricky as I have to go and pick the kids up at lunchtime, maybe i'll check the internet out for Spain too. I've been looking at the net for holidays but its much more tricky in French when I know I'll need 2 rooms and they only offer 1, so I really need to see someone face to face. Also on some sites they are still offering XL holidays!!

Any help greatly appreciated, I'll check out pagesjaune too.

Thanks

Mwana
Mrs H

Post by Mrs H »

mwana wrote: Also on some sites they are still offering XL holidays!!
XL France and Germany were re-financed and are still trading.
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

Your nearest one would be
Agence Céret Voyages
3 bd Mar Joffre
66400 CÉRET
04 68 87 02 99

Perhaps someone else has used them?
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

we booked a holiday with nouvelles frontieres in perpignan, rue clemenceau. our son is getting married in mauritius later this month so we are pushing the boat out.
it was quite straightforward although i did have the brochure before i went into the shop and knew which holiday i was interested in.
the girl broke out into quite respectable english during the conversation too.
i think the price compared quite well with the equivalent english package holiday offers.
mind you, we are going a bit downmarket from the bride and groom, and the bride's parents.

we leave next week, flying from lyon.
will let you know how it went when we get back, presuming we get there of course - all we have at the moment is 3 vouchers to exchange 1 at lyon airport (for the flights), another on landing at mauritius (for the transfers) and a third for the hotel (for the half board)

on the plus side, we are in contact with the hotel and have sent and received a few e mails. they seem really friendly and welcoming.
they even call us mami and papi!!

bit of an adventure, n'est-ce pas?
go on, be brave.
Tiffany
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tiffany »

Where are you going in Mauritius? We spent a year out there kind of working - well we were put up in a 5* resort, meals and everything paid for, company car. *sigh* those were the days....

Oh, I forgot to say, we did tops 4 hours work a day, 1 day off a week.
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

A nice little villa - private way to beach 30 meters, Bois dOiseau, Trou au Biches, chez famille Hitié! Perfect!
Last edited by Roger O on Tue 16 Sep 2008 21:05, edited 1 time in total.
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

well, geography is not my strong point.
in fact i will use the phrase that used to really annoy my geography teacher: top left hand corner.
it's a 3 star with only 12 rooms but a bit arty and friendly.
the outlaws are at trou aux biches and the happy couple at le meridien.

if we like it there, can you give us some hints on how to get a job like yours please.
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

roger, i was all for renting a villa and getting a flight separately but mr polremy put his pied down.
well, he does do all the cooking these days.
will make a note of the one you mentioned and look it up if we can.
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

Don't forget to visit "Chez Popo" and get a souvenir keyring.. and watch out for those rather "pushy" taxi drivers at the stand in Trou au Biches, next to the Indian "Supermarket"! The bus to Grand Baie passes every 15 minutes or so and you save tons of rupees!!

A "must" is the "Ile aux Cerfs" - if you can, try to persuade your driver to arrange the hotel ferry, not the public one - you'll notice the difference!
http://www.mauritius-seychelles.com/ima ... Cerfs3.jpg
Two other things - the botanic gardens and the "Terre des Sept Couleurs"
Well, the list is almost endless.. dream!!!!!!
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

polremy wrote:roger, i was all for renting a villa and getting a flight separately but mr polremy put his pied down.
well, he does do all the cooking these days.
will make a note of the one you mentioned and look it up if we can.
If you go there, say hello to the Hitiés from us the Olivers - and especially to the girls, from Alizée (our daughter). They are really nice people!

Oh yes, and if you have a TV in your place, turn on the local channel(s) and see part of one of those "corny" Indian Bollywood movies.. if you're lucky, you may even see them filming.. with the "hero" singing to the "heroine"!!
PaddyFrog
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PaddyFrog »

mwana wrote:Also on some sites they are still offering XL holidays!! Mwana
That would be reasonable as XL in Europe is still operating, it is XL UK that crashed the other companies are viable.
Michael
mwana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mwana »

Mauritus is fantastic, we went just before we came to France nearly 5 years ago now and I loved it, everything about it, have a lovely time.

Thanks Roger for that travel agent, I shall pop in and see them, the problem is i have a very definate idea of where we're going and which hotel and no-one seems to go there, I also want a night flight because I'm not flying with 3 kids long haul during the day, must stop being so fussy.

Mwana
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

Mwana, don't expect too much "professionalism" from small town travel agents as far as "individual travel" is concerned - you probably know that already. Of course you can go anywhere, but the more individual, the higher the cost!!

You can try "fiddling around" using this site
http://www.amadeus.net/
for flights, but "packages" depend on tour operators and demand, not flight availability/booking systems like Amadeus. You could mention (PM if you want) the place and hotel you are looking for - and the approx. dates out/back to give an idea of what to search?? I'm pretty sure that flights ex European main cities (ZRH/PAR/LON) to MRU are still mostly overnight 11-13 hours depending on departure point.
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

Mwana - sent you a PM,
Roger