Different types of diesel

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

TOM AND BARB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Different types of diesel

Post by TOM AND BARB »

Hello,

Have been travelling down into Spain a bit recently and noticed that there is an option for Blue Diesel.Can anyone tell me the difference between this and ordinary Diesel (Gasole A).

Also noticed that one of the big truck petrol stations near Figueres is selling biodiesel at really low prices.Can anyone vouch for its quality and reliability.

I have a SEAT Alhambra PD Tdi and am a bit concerned about using the wrong fuel and wreckiing the fuel pump or engine.

Any advice ?

Thanks
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

I am pleased you brought this up as we noticed the same thing. Bio deisel in a garage near Roses was 1 euro 11 cents per litre.....
we intended to do an internet search on this and as usual something else came up.

It would be interesting to find out the difference and if there are any side effects.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

I've tried it ,but only once,as nowhere in La Jonquera(where we do most of our filling up) sells it. On this one occasion my Touran (which has virtually the same engine as your Alhambra ,Tom) suffered no ill-effects.

I used to use Bio diesel in my Audi before I left the UK (Tesco's used to sell it for a couple of pence cheaper than ordinary) and it was fine.

On a similar subject,near Barcelona yesterday a Cepsa station was selling "Optimas" diesel at 6c a litre MORE than standard. What's the story with this?
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

An update on this.

Outie has been doing some searches on this........only `cos it will save him a few bob next time we fill up!

Aparently Bio fuels bring all the muck out of your engine, so after the first 2 tanks full(roughly) the fuel filter should be changed , after that everything should be fine. It should not be used on older cars, pre 1985 rings a bell (he is at work at the momment, so I will update that later) because the fuel lines were made of something different.

Not very technical I know, but a bit more info than we had before.
dazzert66
Rank 0
Rank 0

bio diesel

Post by dazzert66 »

All diesel cars can run on bio,if you run a new car check your handbook to make sure it says bio diesel or you could loose your warranty,I make my own Bio diesel and have no problem at all running 5 cars/vans and it smalls of doughnuts.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Update.

Bio Deisel is not recommended to be used in vehicles pre 1995, something to do with the rubber pipes used in the fuel system.