The road from Coustouges to Darnius

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

HelenAE
Rank 0
Rank 0

The road from Coustouges to Darnius

Post by HelenAE »

Given how bad the traffic seems to be right now, I've been wondering about driving to Girona, not by the normal motorway route - but by crossing into Spain, just past Coustouges. It seems a pretty direct route from the border down to Darnius - tho' there are a few squiggles on the way.

If you've driven this route, what was it like? Is it particularly slow? How bendy is it really ?

Is it a busy road?

Anyway, would be grateful for some feedback as to what to expect!
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

It's a superb road,Helen,but not a quick one.As you say quite bendy. Not been renovated much on the Fr side(as far as Coustouges),but the Spanish have clearly spent shed loads of their last EU cash on upgrading their side. The views are spectacular,and the traffic sparse.

Welll worth a go,esp if you have the time available. Stop for a snack at tthe cafe/resto at Tapis on the way down. Excellent.
HelenAE
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by HelenAE »

Thanks John,

I've done the Amelie -Coustouges bit several times, but never the Spanish section beyond so good to know the road will be in a better condition than the French part!
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

In Darnius there's a good restaurante in the camp site. It's next to the water resevoir.

It's been a few years back but the menu was fairly cheap and the amount was good and full. Lots of wine too.

Blackduff
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

This is a lovely road, but I am hoping that the A9 won't be too bad tomorrow when my family leave for Girona. I know the N9 is very bad with everyone going to the duty free shops in Le Perthus and La Jonquera, but has anyone been on the autoroute this week?
CarinaD
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CarinaD »

Hi Carol

We picked up the autoroute at LB and went to Girona last Wed lunchtime, we'd seen articles on the traffic queues so packed a picnic and left iin plenty of time, the traffic was certainly a lot heavier than we'd experienced before but no queues, the border had 3 lines going through instead of one. The traffic coming into the PO was incredible, tons and tons of lorries crawling along....

So I'd get them to leave with at least an hour to spare, hope this is helpful
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

Many thanks, Carina, they will leave at 9 a.m. tomorrow for the 1.30 p.m. flight.
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

I can tell you that, when we left this morning to go to the Saturday markey in Carcassonne, the motorway was jammed solid direction Narbonne (coming from Toulouse). We cross the motorway twice when we take the peripheral.. and coming back about 1/2 hour ago.. there was still a solid jam.. As this motorway feeds into the A9 direction Spain just after Narbonne, I can imagine things must be hairy on La Catalane today??
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

My family left St. Cyprien at 8.30 a.m. and my daughter rang me from Girona airport at about 11.30 a.m., so it was not too bad, about an hour longer than normal (but they had to return a hire car and fill up with petrol, etc.)