Petit Train Jaune

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

groslard
Rank 2
Rank 2

Petit Train Jaune

Post by groslard »

Can any of you Roussillon folk tell me anything useful about this train? Like times, fares etc. The SNCF site sends me round in circles, tells me about strikes which may be happening but never actually cuts to the chase with anything as useful as a time table. If anyone has been on it, is it worth the trip? Are there better places to get on/off, or should you just do the whole trip. If doing whole trip is there anything to see at the end?
If anyone could get a leaflet from local tourist office and post it I'd be grateful: it's for a friend who lives in Tarn et Garonne
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

I went all the way from Mont Louis (not quite the terminal) to Villefranche and it was magnificent. You go over very high viaducts and through stunning scenery. You should be able to get a 2008 timetable at most tourist offices in the area.
Both Mont Louis and Villefranche are lovely, ancient towns and it is well worth spending an hour or two there - you could get a morning train and have lunch in one of them and take an afternoon train back.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Groslard
We had a fairly extended thread about the yellow train. Maybe someone here might remember the name of the post. I'll have a look too.

Blackduff
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

http://forum.anglophone-direct.com/ftopic2587.php

There might be a bit more of information on this thread.

Blackduff
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

I picked up the new timetable at the tourist office in Elne this morning. It looks pretty easy to use.
groslard
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by groslard »

Thanks a lot everybody
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

I would anyone going on the little train to take a jacket or jumper, even on the warmest day. It gets pretty chilly on top of those high viaducts.
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

We have scanned our 2008 (up to July) Train Jaune timetable into 'My Documents and settings'. If anyone knows how to get this onto the forum, and will tell me, I'll post it :)
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

I seem to remember, way back in Dec 2005 when we were looking for stuff on our hard disks to use for atavars, that it was not possible to insert anything unless from a website. That would mean you'd have to upload it to something like an online album of webshots http://www.webshots.com/ - which is what I did with the photo** I use as atavar - then include the URL link on your forum post to get it from there and download onto the hard disk of any member PC accessing the link.

It makes sense really because this site obviously can't "reverse access" anyone's own PC hard disk (presumably not even "knowing the" IP address) and import the doc from there directly. If this has changed in the meantime, it would be nice to know.. but it could be a bit dangerous!!!

Theoretically one should be able to insert such docs (e.g. adobe.pdf or word.doc) as attachments to PMs and send them via that channel (as used for emails) to whomever asked, but I think the infrastructure and mechanism of the PM setup precludes this also?? At least it used to and I haven't tried lately.

Having said that, it obviously is possible to store material (such as the standard list of offered atavars and all the other stuff like adverts and articles) on the server, but it would need an administrator's intervention to receive an email attachment sent to Kate and she would have to insert it on the site. DIY insertion not possible by forum members directly, otherwise, imagine some of the things we would find in the little boxes!!!
http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2530 ... 6552uXukig
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

Thanks Roger. I'll give it a try, but I feel as though I've just entered a long dark tunnel !! :shock: :shock:
Sue
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

urrgggghhhh! Brain overload, brain overload (to be read in a Dalek voice!!)
groslard
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by groslard »

On another Forum I have to post a link to my photo collection on Photobucket: like this

Which is a photo of My New Year's lunch...
or this: Image
Les Anglais en France :shock:
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

Les Anglais en France Shocked

I take it that is REALLY your car GL? You could have a queue of customers in Fr to buy that plate :lol: :lol:
groslard
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by groslard »

Alas no.
I have no luck in business...
But the point was that you open an account at somewhere like Photobucket, upload any photo you wish to post, then just post the link on here.
Steve&Julie
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Steve&Julie »

Re Train Jaune - we tried to go on it a Sunday and found that if you don't get the late morning one, there is not enough time to get off and walk around anywhere for more than 20 minutes before you have to come back or you get stranded! They are much more infrequent on Sundays and the one we went for was cancelled that day. We ended up not going and went to Prades and CastleNou instead.