Registering a car

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

Neil & Sue
Rank 1
Rank 1

Registering a car

Post by Neil & Sue »

Hi

There is an excellent description on the PO site of the process of how to register an English car in France.

However I do have a couple of questions that I hope you will be able to answer.

I have a Certificate of Conformity (it came with the car that had been previously registered in Germany) but it is in English. Do you think this will be a problem?

Also (and this one really shows my current level of ignorance!) - the first place to go is the 'prefecture' - is this different to the Maries office? Are they more likely to be only in large towns? Ditto questions for 'Hotel des Impots".

Finally - the process suggests that I should send a part of the Registration Certificate to the DVLA to advise that I am exporting the car (and hence no need to pay UK road tax) - however someone I talked to said that I should not do this because the 'prefecture' will need it and it is they who will advise the DVLA. Who is right?

Advices gratefully received.
Neil & Sue
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Hi Neil and Sue
Well actually, hold your hosses cos I was told yesterday (by a very reliable source - get your typing fingers out Pol) that foreign cars no longer need to be reregisted in France. I havent actually heard anything myself but as that person reads the forum, hopefully she will have something to add.

The prefecture is not the same as the mairie - it is the administrative part of the town hall and
There is actually at least one prefecture in France for each département (and several sous prefectures - in the PO they are Ceret and Prades). and they are responsible for delivering 'identity cards, driving licenses, passports, residency and work permits for foreigners, vehicle registration, registration of associations (creation, status modification, dissolution), and of the management of the police and firefighters.' (pinched that description from wikipedia!)
PaddyFrog
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PaddyFrog »

Neil and Sue,
I note that you are from London!
Pop up to the Consulate which is Opposite the V&A, there you will be able to pick up the necessary docs and help.

The other way is to use the French Consulate Web Site which gives a mine of information.

http://www.consulfrance-londres.org/spip.php?rubrique=7

Hope this Helps

Michael
Neil & Sue
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Neil & Sue »

That's great thanks to both of you - well the move is end the end of June so by then I guess I will either not have to re-register the car, or make use of the Consulate in London, either of which is a preferable situation to that prior to my posting!

Thanks again.

Neil & Sue.