Bonne route?

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

Neil & Sue
Rank 1
Rank 1

Bonne route?

Post by Neil & Sue »

Hi - sorry I am sure this will have been asked before, but I am looking for the best route from Calais to the PO by road (I am heading up the valley past Ceret).

Last time I did it I went
A1 to Paris (which is the bit I want to avoid this time it took ages!)
A10 to Orleans
A71 to Clermont Ferrand
A75 to Montpelier
A9 to Perpignan etc

It looked shortest on the map but i'm not sure. My critieria for my next visit is speed (rather than scenery, interesting places en route etc).

I would welcome any experienced advice.
Neil
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Try via michelin on the internet.
mpprh
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mpprh »

Strangely, the longer A6 route via Lyon and Reims avoiding Paris has proved to be quicker for me.

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Passing through the A75 will save you a few euros. This route is free, except the bridge at Millau.

Blackduff
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

The Rheims motorway is wonderful - hardly any traffic.
PaddyFrog
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PaddyFrog »

mpprh wrote:Strangely, the longer A6 route via Lyon and Reims avoiding Paris has proved to be quicker for me.

Peter
I would agree with Peter, although Anne Hates the Lorries either side in Lyon,
Its Reims for Lunch and Macon for a night stop, Perpignan late afternoon

Michael
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

I don't know about any overnight stops. I drove from Perpignan through Lyon to Calais and took the ferry and found a B&B in Cantebury. I ate at a Chinoise restaurant at 21:00 hrs.

Okay, I hit the ferry perfectly but I would never plan on doing any overnight stops.

Blackduff
Neil & Sue
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Neil & Sue »

Thanks all.

Sounds like the Reims / Lyon etc route is worth a go then - I am not planning overnight stops, I managed to do Calais > Ceret in 12 hours last time even with going the Paris route.

Thanks again

Neil
PaddyFrog
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PaddyFrog »

blackduff wrote:Okay, I hit the ferry perfectly but I would never plan on doing any overnight stops.
Blackduff
In another life when I was young and virile like you blackduff, I did drive without stops, I have done Conflent/ London/Conflent in 48 hours!

Nowdays I cannot drive to Mas Guérido without a stop!!!!!!!

Michael
Outie

Post by Outie »

Done chez nous en france vers chez nous en UK in less the 24hours ,left at 0630 chez oldham at 0230,straight to bed mind,chez beau pere vers chez nous en france, 0430 chez nous a 2330,never again.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Like Outie and PF,I too have done the non-stop routine in the past,but not these days!

I'd agree that the A75 route via Millau is a good one,and, as has been mentioned before on AD,if you carry on past Clermont Ferrand up via Bourges and Orleans,you can use the N154 via Chartres,Dreux,Rouen then A28/16 via Abbeville to the Channel ports.This is a good way of avoiding Paris and the vast majority is Autoroute/Dual Carriageway.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

When I was building my house I was living in Cadiz. The drive is 1,440 kms and I had to start a system. I would make some sandwiches to munch while I drove. For a lunch, I found someplace along the route and had something small to eat for lunch. The main thing is that I had to keep rolling. The second item was "no wine for lunch".

I used to speed all of the way. I also payed fines each drive. Finally I slowed down and stayed within the limit. No more fines and I could still arrive in France in 14 hrs.

So, whatever route heads to the UK, driving steady is the success.

Blackduff
Colin L

Post by Colin L »

I'd endorse John's recommendation of the Chartres, Dreux, Rouen route to avoid the joys of the peripherique.
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

Yep, we'd go with that too. I think we have recommended this way before, as John rightly says
Webdoc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Webdoc »

Dear Neil
If you ever need a co-driver, or just someone to keep you awake, I might be tempted to offer to accompany you.
Regards
Andrew
Steve
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Steve »

Being in the road transport / removals industry opperating trucks in Europe on a weekly basis as both a driver & boss both me & my drivers opt for Chartres, Dreux, Rouen route to avoid the pain of getting round Paris.

Steve
Neil & Sue
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Neil & Sue »

Thanks to all with your advice - thank goodness I can escape the joys of the periphique!

Steve I have sent you a PM.

Andrew - I might just take you up on that although you may be asked to help unload on arrival!

Cheers
Neil
Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Robert Ferrieux »

Perpignan, Agde, Milhau, Clermont-Ferrand, Orléans, Chartres, Dreux, Rouen, Dieppe to Newhaven or Calais to Dover.
RF.
Sav
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sav »

Be carefull :roll:

Quote: Officers are urging motorists to keep their windows closed and doors locked until they are inside the ferry terminal, after they received several reports from visitors who have been robbed at knifepoint. Illegal immigrants have forced cars to stop by forming human roadblocks before carrying out robberies.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/115 ... -robberies

Cheers Sav :)
Serge

Post by Serge »

Thanks for that Sav.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

hear hear - well found, that man!