Snow chains

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

DaveC
Rank 0
Rank 0

Snow chains

Post by DaveC »

I have just been told by Hertz that i cannot hire snow chains from their Carcassonne airport office. I am travelling down on the 11th January for a long weekend skiing in Font Romeu. I will be travelling to Font Romeu from Port Leucate, does anybody know where i can purchase a set of snow chains in the Perpignan area for my use over the weekend and for future hols.

Many thanks and happy new year to you all

Dave
Karrie
Rank 4
Rank 4

snow chains

Post by Karrie »

Try Feu Vert. I think there is one in Perpignan, near the Renault garage on way to Auchan shopping center. Details on internet.
Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Robert Ferrieux »

There is another Feu Vert in the Carrefour precincts (Château Roussillon) and Maxauto near Intermarché at Mas Guérido. Anyhow, the roads are clear, you don't need chains to go up to Font Romeu.
RF.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Since you're going to need chains for a long weekend, why not check with the Perpignan office and see if you can borrow a set from them. At worse, train down to Perpignan and rent your car from them.

Blackduff
Colin L

Post by Colin L »

Robert Ferrieux wrote:Anyhow, the roads are clear, you don't need chains to go up to Font Romeu.
RF.
You should still see about chains, Dave. Roads that are clear today are not necessarily going to be clear on the 11th Jan. You need to think you might need them and therefore need to get them in because needing them when you don't have them is much worse than not needing them when you do have them. :? Well, I know what I mean. :lol:

Bonne glisse!
Lewis Gunn

Post by Lewis Gunn »

I seem to recall we comprehensively discussed this topic quite recently, which might be of interest to the originator.

LG
Colin L

Post by Colin L »

Well remembered, Lewis. The thread is at http://forum.anglophone-direct.com/ftopic2586.php
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Just to add to that, I used snow-socks when it snowed in Perpignan in 2006. They were pretty easy to put on and they worked. They won't last as long as chains but they don't take up much room and are pretty good for emergencies.

Do not go up to the mountains without one or the other. The weather is vary variable at the moment and snow and ice on a mountain road is not the same as a bit of snow on your drive in suburbia. Besides, you will want to park close to the ski-lifts and it is always icy there.
Colin L

Post by Colin L »

Snow socks are not accepted instead of snow chains in the Alps. Can't speak for the Pyrenees, but I'd be surprised if there was any difference. Might be worth checking before you go.
Ann
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Ann »

Dave,
There is a new Feu Vert at the roundabout next to Junction 23 of A61. It is only 2 minutes from Carcassonne Airport.

You cannot miss it - it is on the same site as Tridome.

Enjoy your skiing.

Ann