Crossing from France to Spain and Back

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

GrahamC
Rank 4
Rank 4

Crossing from France to Spain and Back

Post by GrahamC »

Can we do it? Is it currently legal to drive over to Spain and back from the PO? I can't find any definitive info on this that’s reliably up to date?
Pighunter
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Crossing from France to Spain and Back

Post by Pighunter »

Yes it is fine, I was there yesterday and the border has been open for a couple of weeks.

Note that it has been compulsory to wear a mask in public in Catalonia for several days now.
GrahamC
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GrahamC »

Thank you!
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

And don’t go this weekend. Lots of traffic heading towards Spain, both on the motorway and the National.
Merisin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Merisin »

I read in the local press that a noticeable proportion of new Covid19 cases in the P-O have in common that the infected person has recently crossed the border into Catalonia. You may be able to go there but is it worth it?

Merisin
GrahamC
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GrahamC »

Only planning to cruise around on my moto! Helmet on visor down.
Merisin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Merisin »

Looking at the news this morning I don't think anybody in their right mind would want to cross the border into Calatonian Spain.

Merisin
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Report on the radio this morning; The French health minister is strongly recommending that the French don't visit Catalonia.

Russell
alan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alan »

It is now being reported in the "Guardian" that,

"The UK will impose restrictions on holidaymakers returning from Spain on Saturday in a bid to curb the surge in coronavirus infections, the government has confirmed. The decision means those coming back from Spain will have to self-isolate for two weeks upon their return".

This may well prove a problem to visitors to the PO using Girona or Barcelona airports.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

How do they check these things? Surely they can’t go round to everyone’s home to make sure they’re self isolating?
GrahamC
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GrahamC »

They can’t Kate, like so many of the nonsensical UK laws and rules concerning Covid, it’s unenforcable.
alan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alan »

Yes but there is a chance of being caught out on a spot check with a fine being imposed for breach. Remember, everyone entering the UK has to complete the Government's Passenger Locator Form.

As far as Girona airport is concerned, I suspect that Ryanair to cancel flights
alan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alan »

I see now that the Telegraph is reporting that

"The holiday operator TUI has already announced it will cancel all planned holidays to Spain in response to the announcement"
alan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alan »

Also, the Foreign Office now advises against all but essential travel to mainland Spain. This has implications for travel insurance.
alan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alan »

We returned to the UK yesterday and duly completed the Passenger Locator Forms on line the day before. We kept a note of the reference numbers we received and also kept copies on our laptop. There was a brief mention of the requirement on the flight but at Stansted no-one challenged us as to whether we had completed them and we didn't see any obvious signs to the effect that it was necessary. Hopefully, we won't be getting a call to say that someone on the flight has been tested positive.