New Speed Limits

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

New Speed Limits

Post by Allan »

I understand that the national speed limit on 2 lane roads is to be reduced from 1 July from 90kph to 80kph.

I discussed this recently with a group of French friends who were of the opinion that the new rule only applied if there were no speed limit signs, for example when leaving a village, the 50kph limit normally ends and changes to 90 ( or 80 as from next week ).

Their view was that if there is a speed limit sign then it is that limit that is in force. So unless the 90kph signs are changed to say 80 then the limit is still 90.

Does anyone know a definitive factual answer to this, we all have opinions and interpretations but it would be good to know the legal position.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Or maybe just go at 80 and save the worry? I read the other day that drivers do an average 82 under free-flowing conditions: you wouldn’t get nicked for that anyway.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

This is from the press release I received a couple of weeks ago. My understanding is that all two way roads where the limit is now 90 will change to 80 no matter what the circumstances. New signs are being put up throughout France.

https://anglophone-direct.com/speed-lim ... -1st-2018/