Flight Delay Compensation - American Airlines

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

katiebell
Rank 0
Rank 0

Flight Delay Compensation - American Airlines

Post by katiebell »

Recently my American Airlines (AA) flight from London Heathrow (LHR) to Dallas/Fort Worth Airport (DFW) was delayed and the plane had mechanical problems because of which I had to spend another night in London. Should I be compensated by AA?
kenny
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kenny »

Google eu261 compensation you would be entitled to 300e compensation , for delays greater then 3 hours

as the flight originated in Europe, you should be entitled to compensation. However an American airline, will dispute this, and if so, you will need to escalate to the European commission for airline regulation in the UK
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

For an overnight delay on a flight of that distance, the compensation is 600€ per person but only if it was not caused by something outside the airlines control.

Flight compensation is the new target of the ambulance chasers and there are loads of companies wanting to pursue it on your behalf and of course take a slice.

We recently came back from Bangkok on a BA flight that was delayed making us miss our connection to Toulouse. They put us up in a hotel overnight and gave us 1200€ compensation.

To be honest, I was quite surprised as I understand that the delay was caused by the earlier inbound flight to Bangkok being hit by lightning. I expected them to argue that it was outside their control but they paid up with no argument.
clarkebarry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by clarkebarry »

Yes, you are eligible to claim compensation from American Airlines as according to the EC Regulation 261/2004 your flight departed from EU member state. The EC Regulation explains some common eligibility criteria for claiming flight delay compensation from American Airlines. The eligibility criteria states: "You can only claim compensation if you have departed from an EU member state to anywhere in the world or from a non-EU state with an EU regulated airline". Source: https://www.claimflights.com/flight-delay-compensation

A general rule of thumb for claiming compensation for flight delays requires that your flight should be delayed for more than 3 hours on the destination airport. The website mentioned above can even help you claim compensation from American Airlines. I hope that my answer has helped.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

clarkebarry wrote:Yes, you are eligible to claim compensation from American Airlines as according to the EC Regulation 261/2004 your flight departed from EU member state. The EC Regulation explains some common eligibility criteria for claiming flight delay compensation from American Airlines. The eligibility criteria states: "You can only claim compensation if you have departed from an EU member state to anywhere in the world or from a non-EU state with an EU regulated airline". Source: https://www.claimflights.com/flight-delay-compensation

A general rule of thumb for claiming compensation for flight delays requires that your flight should be delayed for more than 3 hours on the destination airport. The website mentioned above can even help you claim compensation from American Airlines. I hope that my answer has helped.
You give the example of claimflights.com as a company who can help with a claim, their website is professional and informative despite the odd glaring error, but they charge 25% of your claim with VAT added, so my recent claim of 1200€ would have cost me 360€ and I would have had to have filled in the same information on their website as I did on BA’s.

An organisation like that might be worth trying if you get nowhere directly with the airline but otherwise you are just giving money away.

An internet search reveals dozens of similar companies trying to cash in on the compensation rules.

I’m not criticising your post by the way, you provided good information but I just wanted to point out the downside of claims companies.
clarkebarry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by clarkebarry »

Allan wrote:
You give the example of claimflights.com as a company who can help with a claim, their website is professional and informative despite the odd glaring error, but they charge 25% of your claim with VAT added, so my recent claim of 1200€ would have cost me 360€ and I would have had to have filled in the same information on their website as I did on BA’s.

An organisation like that might be worth trying if you get nowhere directly with the airline but otherwise you are just giving money away.

An internet search reveals dozens of similar companies trying to cash in on the compensation rules.

I’m not criticising your post by the way, you provided good information but I just wanted to point out the downside of claims companies.
Agree with you, If airlines pay directly why to choose any claim companies. But there are instances when airlines excuse the passengers, and passengers have to move to court or have to contact claim companies. Usually, court case fee can be a lot more, and even there are chances they may lose, thus asking for compensation from claim company can be free of hassless.
katiebell
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by katiebell »

Thank you all for taking the time to share all of that great information with me. Helped a lot.