Ryanair bagage

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Ryanair bagage

Post by opas » Fri 12 Jan 2018 13:27

I would love to be a fly on the wall at checkin when this new system starts.
I would immagine it will take an age to go through check in because there will be people who say they didnt know, insist their bag HAS to stay with them, then have to remove important items they dont want to be separated from. Or they pay the extra at the desk to go priority to take their bag. :roll:
-----------------------------------------------
www.Debeneur.com
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.

Webdoc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Webdoc » Fri 12 Jan 2018 18:36

My observation of both Ryanair and Easyjet is that they avoid putting "soft" luggage in the hold (backpacks etc.) presumably for fear that fragile contents may be damaged. They're also not allowed to separate you from your medication if it's in your hand luggage.

polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy » Fri 12 Jan 2018 19:24

We fly on Tuesday. Fingers crossed our backpacks will pass scrutiny as they are very very close to the maximum measurements.

gleber
Rank 2
Rank 2

Ryanair baggage

Post by gleber » Sat 13 Jan 2018 12:01

It is all a ploy to get people to pay for priority boarding now that charges for credit or debit cards have been banned from this week-end.

Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan » Sun 14 Jan 2018 06:30

This seems a lot of fuss over nothing. Ryanair has reduced the price of hold luggage while at the same time increasing the weight allowance.

It is a fact that there is not enough space in the overhead lockers for everyone on a reasonably full flight. They always said that anyone without priority boarding might have to have their luggage transported in the hold, they are merely formalising this.

All in all, their new policy is more generous than their old one.

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 » Sun 14 Jan 2018 15:20

Allan wrote:This seems a lot of fuss over nothing. Ryanair has reduced the price of hold luggage while at the same time increasing the weight allowance.

It is a fact that there is not enough space in the overhead lockers for everyone on a reasonably full flight. They always said that anyone without priority boarding might have to have their luggage transported in the hold, they are merely formalising this.

All in all, their new policy is more generous than their old one.
I wish I had kept a diary of everything I have ever paid for air tickets. One I remember was a bucket shop fare to Australia in the mid-80s: about £800 (on Garuda: it went round the houses, but was otherwise OK). You could get it for around the same (at that time of year) in money of 2018, and much more conveniently, so about a third the price, deflated by the RPI.

I have read the Guardian for 50-odd years, but nowadays mostly for the silly and self-righteous comments “below the lineâ€￾.

It’s more-or-less compulsory there to regard Ryanair as the spawn of Satan, though not generally (I suspect) to the extent of not flying with them, despite what they feel obliged to say. It’s usually because people were too lazy to read the T&C, or thought that they could blag their way through. Not to mention the Spanish girl who brought my plane to a halt for 10 minutes because she hadn’t bothered to book a seat next to her boyfriend on a one-hour flight.

I suspect that it’s one of the few respects in which Mail and Telegraph readers agree with us Guardianistas.

Which does no-one much credit.

Webdoc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Webdoc » Sun 14 Jan 2018 16:21

I did once bag 8 flights on Ryanair for a penny each. No extra fees - just an 8 pence charge on my credit card.

I just wish M O'L didn't treat everyone with such contempt. Mind you, it's almost certainly that personality trait that makes his business such a success.

I would rather fly with him than work for him.

Richard and Sharon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Richard and Sharon » Fri 19 Jan 2018 18:50

Just flew into Carcasson with the demons this week. To be fair, it went quite well!
We took our wheeled carry on's through security as usual. They were tagged and loaded by ground staff just before we boarded. This was at no cost and minimal delay. Baggage tag receipt stickers issued.
Boarding and disembarking were both faster than usual. There wasnt the usual bun fight for locker space with later boarders having to fill their leg space with bags. Also, you can still carry on a 20cm x 20cm x 35cm bag.
Summing up, I think its actually a slight improvement, even though that would be an unfashionable thing to say. Or, maybe we were just lucky.

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 » Sun 21 Jan 2018 15:33

Richard and Sharon wrote:Just flew into Carcasson with the demons this week. To be fair, it went quite well!
We took our wheeled carry on's through security as usual. They were tagged and loaded by ground staff just before we boarded. This was at no cost and minimal delay. Baggage tag receipt stickers issued.
Boarding and disembarking were both faster than usual. There wasnt the usual bun fight for locker space with later boarders having to fill their leg space with bags. Also, you can still carry on a 20cm x 20cm x 35cm bag.
Summing up, I think its actually a slight improvement, even though that would be an unfashionable thing to say. Or, maybe we were just lucky.
Which I guess is why they’ve done it. It’s interesting that they’ve gone through 360 degrees on luggage. They spent years driving us away from hold luggage, and now find they went too far. You could regard that as just another ruse to milk us for money, but I suspect that the better explanation is the more charitable one: they always need to keep their planes turning round quickly, and are ready to learn from experience.

In response to webdoc, Michael O’Leary’s nonsense was always, surely, just a succession of marketing stunts, on the argument that “if they are that hardfaced, they must be cheapâ€￾. It worked very well for a long time, but he seems to have had no problem since it seemed more profitable to be cuddly. The more worrying thing, more recently, has been basic failures of execution: for an airline to just run out of pilots is about as basic as it gets. But they seem to be tackling that too.

I’m biased because I had a very good run as a shareholder, until I sold out to buy my gaff here. I’d have done very much better if I had been able to keep them, but I’ve never dared work out just how much.