Crit'Air

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

Sus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Crit'Air

Post by Sus » Sun 12 Nov 2017 18:14

Anybody planning a stop in Paris when driving back, be aware that every car now needs to have a Crit'Air sticker which determines what class of pollution your car belongs to. This applies to all cars, no matter which country they are registered.

I had read about it a while ago but forgot to check whether it had become active. Luckily, my experience is that it all goes rather quick, you can apply and pay online and you will get an email confirmation within a couple of days which you can already use while waiting for your sticker. I also read that Strasbourg has just adopted the same scheme and other cities are considering it to.

Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate » Mon 13 Nov 2017 07:34

Thanks Sus. Will mention that in the next P-O Life mag.

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 » Mon 13 Nov 2017 16:53

Kate wrote:Thanks Sus. Will mention that in the next P-O Life mag.
It might be worth adding that there’s a site in English specifically for applicants outside France (the postage costs a bit more than for applicants here): you have to attach a copy of your registration document, so check that the address is up to date, because I think that’s where they insist on sending it.

https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/

They don’t seem to give any links to the restrictions which might actually apply to you on high pollution days (or where, apart from Paris, inside the periph): I guess they are at the websites of the relevant mairies, whichever they are by the time you get there.

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 » Mon 13 Nov 2017 17:21

martyn94 wrote:
Kate wrote:Thanks Sus. Will mention that in the next P-O Life mag.
It might be worth adding that there’s a site in English specifically for applicants outside France (the postage costs a bit more than for applicants here): you have to attach a copy of your registration document, so check that the address is up to date, because I think that’s where they insist on sending it.

https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/

They don’t seem to give any links to the restrictions which might actually apply to you on high pollution days (or where, apart from Paris, inside the periph): I guess they are at the websites of the relevant mairies, whichever they are by the time you get there.
Incidentally, I didn’t point the moral that the restrictions in Paris don’t apply to the periph itself, if you are just passing through and getting no closer. That’s understandable: it would an utter shambles if they tried to enforce it: but the air can be filthy there if you get stuck in a traffic jam particularly under the covered bits. And you probably will get stuck in a traffic jam.

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Crit'Air

Post by martyn94 » Mon 13 Nov 2017 17:30

Sus wrote:Anybody planning a stop in Paris when driving back, be aware that every car now needs to have a Crit'Air sticker which determines what class of pollution your car belongs to. This applies to all cars, no matter which country they are registered.

I had read about it a while ago but forgot to check whether it had become active. Luckily, my experience is that it all goes rather quick, you can apply and pay online and you will get an email confirmation within a couple of days which you can already use while waiting for your sticker. I also read that Strasbourg has just adopted the same scheme and other cities are considering it to.
The moral being that you can be banned from driving in Paris on high pollution days, if your car is in specified “dirtierâ€￾ classes, and be fined heftily if you do.

Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate » Mon 13 Nov 2017 21:11

I’ve also read about driving and parking advantages to some sticker holders, presumably the most ‘green’ ones, with reserved parking spaces and special lanes in heavy traffic- but I can’t find any more details.

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 » Mon 13 Nov 2017 22:48

Kate wrote:I’ve also read about driving and parking advantages to some sticker holders, presumably the most ‘green’ ones, with reserved parking spaces and special lanes in heavy traffic- but I can’t find any more details.
So far as I can gather, the parking concession applies to people with a Paris resident’s permit: you get an extra day on your abonnement on free (ie high pollution) days to encourage you to leave your car at home. That’s so irrelevant to almost all of us that I didn’t bother to send you the link (though it’s easily found: try “mairie Paris pollutionâ€￾). I think the main driving advantage is that you can drive when dirtier cars are banned: I didn’t find the other things you mention but I didn’t try very hard. I doubt that many of us have cars that are green enough to qualify, unless we have a Toyota Prius or upwards.

russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell » Tue 14 Nov 2017 11:57

There doesn't seem to be much real world correlation between the EURO designation (based on lab tests) and on the road pollution.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt ... ar_exhaust

Russell

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 » Tue 14 Nov 2017 13:50

russell wrote:There doesn't seem to be much real world correlation between the EURO designation (based on lab tests) and on the road pollution.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt ... ar_exhaust

Russell
I think everyone in the business knew that the EURO test schedule was wildly over-optimistic. But is was less generally realised how far many firms had actively gamed it, and what extremes they had gone to. According to one story in the Grauniad recently (which I can’t now find) a senior figure there thinks that the backwash may put a noticeable crimp in German GDP - about the only force on heaven or earth which could. Even now, cars will pass the new “real worldâ€￾ tests if they emit less than two-and-half times the formal standard. And apparently their “real worldâ€￾ is not really real enough.

russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell » Wed 15 Nov 2017 12:30

martyn94 wrote: I think everyone in the business knew that the EURO test schedule was wildly over-optimistic. But is was less generally realised how far many firms had actively gamed it, and what extremes they had gone to. According to one story in the Grauniad recently (which I can’t now find) a senior figure there thinks that the backwash may put a noticeable crimp in German GDP - about the only force on heaven or earth which could. Even now, cars will pass the new “real worldâ€￾ tests if they emit less than two-and-half times the formal standard. And apparently their “real worldâ€￾ is not really real enough.
In the meantime many people are being persuaded to buy more polluting vehicles than their old models that they are being paid to scrap. That must be good for the car makers if not the environment!

Russell

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 » Wed 15 Nov 2017 14:53

russell wrote:
martyn94 wrote: I think everyone in the business knew that the EURO test schedule was wildly over-optimistic. But is was less generally realised how far many firms had actively gamed it, and what extremes they had gone to. According to one story in the Grauniad recently (which I can’t now find) a senior figure there thinks that the backwash may put a noticeable crimp in German GDP - about the only force on heaven or earth which could. Even now, cars will pass the new “real worldâ€￾ tests if they emit less than two-and-half times the formal standard. And apparently their “real worldâ€￾ is not really real enough.
In the meantime many people are being persuaded to buy more polluting vehicles than their old models that they are being paid to scrap. That must be good for the car makers if not the environment!

Russell
I think your conclusion is a bit of a stretch from one comparison between an eight year-old diesel and a 23 year-old petrol. And no data for particulates, although the diesel was apparently worse. As the old slogan goes, the plural of “anecdoteâ€￾ isn’t “evidenceâ€￾. Which isn’t to say that the whole testing regime hasn’t been a prize mess, which leaves us with nothing much to trust. But on the whole, I don’t think that our next car will be a diesel, although I’m in no hurry to throw our current one away.

Any big switch from diesel to petrol will be pretty disruptive for French manufacturers, and so be quite brave, if justified. The clapped-out old diesels will just go to live in the countryside, as they have always done, and some of my friends might get cheaper cars next time.

I was quite surprised how neat and new most cars are round here, after 25 years knocking round rural Normandy: though often, no doubt, not owned by locals “de soucheâ€￾.

Sus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Crit'Air

Post by Sus » Thu 30 Nov 2017 09:32

Sus wrote:Anybody planning a stop in Paris when driving back, be aware that every car now needs to have a Crit'Air sticker which determines what class of pollution your car belongs to. This applies to all cars, no matter which country they are registered.

To add to my previous post, we received the actual sticker within a week, so all together it was a straight forward and quick process