Transport from airport

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Transport from airport

Post by Kate »

BY EMAIL

I have just been on your web site trying to suss buses etc out for transfers to perpignon city centre i cant seem to find a downloadable timetable for buses or indeed numbers i think i have read correctly its line number 7 across the road at the airport?

We are staying at Résidence l'Éolienne Perpignan is this close to the centre?

My 1st time in France and I am reading horror stories about taxis etc

I would be most grateful for any pointers you can give to us!
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Try Google Maps. It seems to be bus 7 to Mermoz and a 15 minute walk. But how on earth can I find this in 30 seconds when I don’t care in the least about the answer, when you seem to be in a state of near panic?

Do enjoy your first time in France: it’ll be great and the weather is set to be gorgeous.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

A couple more answers....

Bus stop is on left as you come out of the airport. Hasnt been opposite for over a year now

Are you on a weekday flight? Sundays can be a pest. The hotel is south of the centre, nice area, should be quiet and there is a supermarket and a McDonalds at your door. About 20 mins easy walk to the centre. To get there from the airport follow the crowd to the bus stop at the airport for a number 7, turn left as you walk out the door. Its actually the only bus that stops there. The buses have the stops indicator or ask the driver. To get to the hotel you will need to change buses, I suggest you get off at Place Catalogne (Point Chaud), big square with a piece of modern art consisting of a very high chair with Dali sitting on top. It can't be missed. Walk across the square to Catalogne (Brasserie) for a number 5. Marked up as Dunkerque Flandres ie Dunkirk or Parc des Sports. Get off at Broadway as per New York. Its opposite MacDonalds and the hotel is almost beside it. The drivers all seem to have a smattering of languages including English so just ask for the Hotel's stop. Re the local cabs they are fine, the drivers are reasonably honest, better than most towns just expensive and hard to find.
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

Might I suggest a request on the airport transport section? For example I dropped off my visitors at the airport the other day and would have been more than happy to give somebody a lift back. I'm sure there are many generous souls out there.

Gus
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Webdoc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Webdoc »

Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

martyn94 wrote:Try Google Maps. It seems to be bus 7 to Mermoz and a 15 minute walk. But how on earth can I find this in 30 seconds when I don’t care in the least about the answer, when you seem to be in a state of near panic?

Do enjoy your first time in France: it’ll be great and the weather is set to be gorgeous.
Martyn, you quite often rebuke people for not finding information themselves but it is pretty obvious that you enjoy (as I do) researching a wide range of subjects.

Not everyone is comfortable searching the web, especially in a language that they may not be familiar with.

I think one of the great benefits of this site is as a mutual help group. People post, not necessarily because they want confirmation that it is a number 7 bus but in the hope that someone may have some better ideas or might even be going that way themselves.

Often the peripheral comments around a subject are of general interest.

So keep up the good work of answering everyone’s questions and accept that you enjoy being the font of most knowledge.
Last edited by Allan on Thu 12 Oct 2017 16:51, edited 1 time in total.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Allan wrote:
martyn94 wrote:Try Google Maps. It seems to be bus 7 to Mermoz and a 15 minute walk. But how on earth can I find this in 30 seconds when I don’t care in the least about the answer, when you seem to be in a state of near panic?

Martyn, you quite often rebuke people for not finding information themselves but it is pretty obvious that you enjoy (as I do) researching a wide range of subjects.

Not everyone is comfortable searching the web, especially in a language that they may not be familiar with.

I think one of the great benefits of this sight is as a mutual help group. People post, not necessarily because they want confirmation that it is a number 7 bus but in the hope that someone may have some better ideas or might even be going that way themselves.

Often the peripheral comments around a subject are of general interest.

So keep up the good work of answering everyone’s questions and accept that you enjoy being the font of most knowledge.
I don’t think it’s contradictory to answer questions here, which you are right that I do (sometimes accurately), but also to wonder why they get to be asked, when you could answer them for yourself more quickly and trust the answers more (and perfectly easily in English: I don’t think that Google Maps really has a language: it just has boxes and buttons)

I just don’t buy the idea that someone who can buy the flight, get a passport , find their departure airport, find lodgings here and above all just be brave enough to come to a whole new country, can be not comfortable searching the internet, or could not rapidly become so. It’s not that I begrudge the effort, but it could be much better spent: where are the best sights, bars, restaurants, discos, recreational drugs......? On most of which I would come up empty for Perpignan, but there must be others here with recommendations.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

martyn94 wrote:
I don’t think it’s contradictory to answer questions here, which you are right that I do (sometimes accurately), but also to wonder why they get to be asked, when you could answer them for yourself more quickly and trust the answers more (and perfectly easily in English: I don’t think that Google Maps really has a language: it just has boxes and buttons)

I just don’t buy the idea that someone who can buy the flight, get a passport , find their departure airport, find lodgings here and above all just be brave enough to come to a whole new country, can be not comfortable searching the internet, or could not rapidly become so. It’s not that I begrudge the effort, but it could be much better spent: where are the best sights, bars, restaurants, discos, recreational drugs......? On most of which I would come up empty for Perpignan, but there must be others here with recommendations.
Of course it is not contradictory but if people didn’t ask the questions you would be deprived of the pleasure of answering them and gently rebuking them for not doing the research themselves.

Human nature is such that people like to hear from others, especially when visiting a strange place.

Ask yourself why that since the original question was sent by email to Kate, she didn’t simply reply by email and leave the forum out of it completely.

Questions asked here act as a source of reference for others, generate wider answers and encourage the diversion of a thread into all sorts of weird areas.

Of course you can wonder why a question was asked in the first place but wondering out loud will only discourage people.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

M94 strikes again!

I've lived here for near on 30 years. I reckon I know my way around the system fairly well and am more than happy to offer advice to anybody who asks. Provided I'm confident that the info I give is up to date. But I would never claim to know about all aspects of living here. Far from it.

Nowadays I tend to offer my thoughts by e-mail or PM. I don't have time for these increasingly frequent bouts of verbal ping-pong which, in my opinion, serve only to alienate many potential contributors.

Gus
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Gus Morris wrote:M94 strikes again!

I've lived here for near on 30 years. I reckon I know my way around the system fairly well and am more than happy to offer advice to anybody who asks. Provided I'm confident that the info I give is up to date. But I would never claim to know about all aspects of living here. Far from it.

Nowadays I tend to offer my thoughts by e-mail or PM. I don't have time for these increasingly frequent bouts of verbal ping-pong which, in my opinion, serve only to alienate many potential contributors.

Gus
Gus admits that he is not omniscient. Me neither: but at least I am prepared to make a fool of myself in public.
Webdoc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Webdoc »

martyn94 wrote:Gus admits that he is not omniscient. Me neither: but at least I am prepared to make a fool of myself in public.
This discussion is not about you making a fool of yourself. It's about the feeling held by many that snarky responses to postings sours the tone of the forum and inhibits others from joining in. We've covered this ground before.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Webdoc wrote:
martyn94 wrote:Gus admits that he is not omniscient. Me neither: but at least I am prepared to make a fool of myself in public.
This discussion is not about you making a fool of yourself. It's about the feeling held by many that snarky responses to postings sours the tone of the forum and inhibits others from joining in. We've covered this ground before.
I’d love to know how you know what “many“ people think. They don’t seem to bother to post here, apart from the few old lags, whether I am being snarky or not. They don’t even send me abusive pms, which they could do in perfect anonymity. The mystery, if you read the stats, is how many people look at our posts and find nothing to say, and never have done.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Please stop this. There are no rules on this forum saying members have to trawl the Internet before asking for information. Some might have limited acces to Internet, or limited skills for researching....or quite simply not want to be assed! That’s their perrogative in the same way that it’s yours not to answer.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

rhys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rhys »

But quite honestly : what is ANY of that your business ?

If someone posts a request for information or advice which you consider reveals their stupidity or whatever other negative quality they might suffer from - why on earth not ignore the post and / or decline to reply to it ?

Why do you feel obliged to reply with sarcastic / wounding comments ?

The only effect these can have on the original poster is one of feeling humiliated or thought less of .

There is already a whole load of suffering in the world : why do you feel it appropriate to add to it, even at a low level ? WHY? Can't you just STFU ? ( Pardonnez mon fran,cais. )

Have you thought of consulting a psychiatrist with the aim of reduction of your tendency to indulging this most unpleasant character trait ?

just sayin'............ :)

PS: have you noticed that there is not a single person posting here who supports your aggressive stance ? If you have noticed, why do you think that might be ?

if you have not noticed, why do you think that might be ?
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

You do need to grow a little tolerance of others Martyn, as (some) others have learnt to be tolerant of you. If people want to use Americanisms, or Chinese-isms, misspel wurds, dance on a table top or paint their face bright purple....that’s up to them and doesn’t require our approval our comment.
Let’s end this thread here please. Any useful info passed on originally to the poster has been lost.