CALOR GAS

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

Lanark Lass
Rank 4
Rank 4

CALOR GAS

Post by Lanark Lass »

A friend is considering driving his motor home down to the P.O. from the U.K. He uses Calor gas in the U.K. How easy is it to exchange calor cylinders in France?
Florence
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Florence »

The fittings may be different. I know the spanish ones are - and they're much cheaper too.
Lanark Lass
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lanark Lass »

If the fittings are different are adaptors available locally in France?
Webdoc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Webdoc »

A friend visited us in his motor home recently and used LPG. Some outlay for the kit but the fuels is much cheaper. He re-filled at petrol stations using a special adaptor but said he usually did it out of sight of the attendant in case they disapproved.

There's an article about it here:
https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motor ... -motorhome

I know from BBQs etc in the UK that different suppliers of bottles have different fittings.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

[quote="Lanark Lass"]If the fittings are different are adaptors available locally in France?[/quote

I suspect we are talking about two different systems here. Some "rigs" have bottles that you can refill "in situ" from an LPG supply at a garage, so long as the connections are compatible. Others require you to swap an empty bottle for a full one (on the model you see at any petrol station or supermarket here) again so long as the connections are compatible. I would emphatically leave this to your friends: they know what they've got and what they would ideally want, and there are endless online resources about it. They could start with the caravan club: they might even be members.

If they have "swappable" bottles, the adaptors may or may not be compatible: I believe that the more modern, push-fit, connectors are. But again, your friends are the people who know.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

martyn94 wrote:
Lanark Lass wrote:If the fittings are different are adaptors available locally in France?[/quote

I suspect we are talking about two different systems here. Some "rigs" have bottles that you can refill "in situ" from an LPG supply at a garage, so long as the connections are compatible. Others require you to swap an empty bottle for a full one (on the model you see at any petrol station or supermarket here) again so long as the connections are compatible. I would emphatically leave this to your friends: they know what they've got and what they would ideally want, and there are endless online resources about it. They could start with the caravan club: they might even be members.

If they have "swappable" bottles, the adaptors may or may not be compatible: I believe that the more modern, push-fit, connectors are. But again, your friends are the people who know.
Sorry: I didn't answer your direct question. You can't exchange Calor gas bottles here. But you can get a new bottle of a different brand (if you pay the deposit) which would fit, or could be made to fit given the right adapter (they often give you a "free" one with the deposit on a new bottle). That would, obviously, leave them with a bottle which would be useless back in the UK once empty. But that might encourage them to come and see you again.
Lanark Lass
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lanark Lass »

Thanks for your information. It all sounds complicated so I think he is best to consult Caravan Club. I have seen British motor homes in the area so there must be a safe way.
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

The answer depends on the gas bottle connection fitted to the RV.

If it is for an old style (left hand threaded) screw connector then it will probably be compatible with old type gas bottles available in France. It might not be possible to exchange an empty UK bottle but there are loads of local named ones at the dechetterie.

If it has a modern flexible connector, with a standard threaded end, then it should be possible to change the regulator to fit bottles sold in France.

We find that we use very little gas when travelling in the summer. But then we tend to use sites with an electric hook-up.

Gus
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

They should find everything they need at Loisireo in Polygon Nord. They are distributors for Narbonne Accessoires whose catalogue can be found on line:
http://www.narbonneaccessoires.fr/nos-a ... s/gaz.html

When I take my camping car to the UK I just make sure I carry enough gas for the trip!

Russell
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

russell wrote:They should find everything they need at Loisireo in Polygon Nord. They are distributors for Narbonne Accessoires whose catalogue can be found on line:
http://www.narbonneaccessoires.fr/nos-a ... s/gaz.html

When I take my camping car to the UK I just make sure I carry enough gas for the trip!

Russell
Your last sentence hit the nail on the head, as usual. But I would rather stay at home rather than spend my holidays traipsing round Polygon Nord (or Sud, or Est or Ouwest, if they exist).
Lanark Lass
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lanark Lass »

Thanks for all your info.

My friend has gone home from Perpignan tonight on the very much delayed flight to Birmingham. He does intend driving his motorhome down here for his next trip so I have advised him to check with Caravan Club. He hasn't had the van very long as yet and only made U.K. trips so far but he is keen to take his time coming down through France and taking in a bit more of the scenery.