€1 Train

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

rosie56
Rank 0
Rank 0

€1 Train

Post by rosie56 »

I have registered with the website, but am unable to make bookings. I know it is only TER trains, and am wondering if they have a limited number of seats per train? Also, when I tried booking on my PC (in the UK), at least it gave me some availability. But on my English Android tablet, I draw a complete blank. Any help would be gratefully received!
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Not really helpful for finding a solution, but I remember when it first started, the website was quickly saturated and the 1€ places were very limited. Could still be the problem. Bon courage.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Kate wrote:Not really helpful for finding a solution, but I remember when it first started, the website was quickly saturated and the 1€ places were very limited. Could still be the problem. Bon courage.
From memory, only about 5% of all tickets were ever available at this price, and at convenient times of day were either not available at all or immediately sold out. I believe that bookings open 21 days ahead: set your alarm clock!
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

I've been successful a few times in getting the 1€ train booked. Agree you MUST book 21 days in advance, to the hour, for the train you want. Do a dummy run on an earlier date, without actually booking, to see how it would pan out. Sometimes I've had to settle for a long wait in eg Narbonne or Montpellier, or arrive very early for a Beziers flight
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

sue and paul wrote:I've been successful a few times in getting the 1€ train booked. Agree you MUST book 21 days in advance, to the hour, for the train you want. Do a dummy run on an earlier date, without actually booking, to see how it would pan out. Sometimes I've had to settle for a long wait in eg Narbonne or Montpellier, or arrive very early for a Beziers flight
If you are qualified by age, and it's worth paying the annual sub, a "carte senior" can be a good tickle: 50% off leaves you not far shy of €1 on shorter trips without trying. I take the TGV to Paris and points north a few times a year and it's a no-brainer.
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

Agree. but at 60 or more euros a go, it's definitely only worth it for a long journey. As you say, do the maths. It's worth adding though that there is often a 'découverte senior' reduction on some routes without buying the annual subscription
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

sue and paul wrote:Agree. but at 60 or more euros a go, it's definitely only worth it for a long journey. As you say, do the maths. It's worth adding though that there is often a 'découverte senior' reduction on some routes without buying the annual subscription
I am entirely ready to be corrected, but I think you only get 25% off on "découverte senior" rather than 50% on "carte senior". I wouldn't swear in blood that I have always saved money from my carte senior, but it has at worst been pretty close, and at best made very decent savings. They obviously profit by the illusion that we are all going to become "silver travelers": the fantasy is worth a few bob even if I don't always live up to it.