Scotland

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

Lanark Lass
Rank 4
Rank 4

Scotland

Post by Lanark Lass »

An elderly friend of mine who lives in Edinburgh is wondering how best to get down to her flat in Port Vendres this winter.

As far as I can see the flight options are not very good. Have I missed something? :?:
Helen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Helen »

It depends how much travelling she's prepared to do!

There are several direct trains a day from Edinburgh (and Glasgow) to Manchester Airport, so one option would be to use Ryanair Friday flights to Carcassonne. It makes for a long day, but it's do-able. I came back that route recently. There are flights on a Monday too, but would probably need an overnight somewhere.

Also worth exploring Edinburgh - Barcelona with Ryanair, or Glasgow to Barcelona with Jet 2.

A 2 flight option would be to fly Edinburgh to Carcassonne via Dublin or Stansted (Ryanair)
rogb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rogb »

We also come down to Roussillon from Edinburgh. Last winter we did Edinburgh-Stansted-Carcassonne with Ryanair, but when we come down in December, we are trying out the direct Ryanair flight from Edinburgh-Barcelona (dep 06.30 are 10.10, but several other airlines also offer this route), then getting the 13.20 fast TGV trains from Barcelona Sants to Perpignan (arr14.44). There are at present only 4 fast trains per day. There is a direct link between Barcelona airport and Barcelona Sants station.

This does not work on the return though, unless you want to stay the night in Barcelona, as all the Barcelona-Edinburgh flights are too early for the train times. We are therefore flying Perpignan-Paris Orly with Hop (dep 14.00 arr 15.30), then getting the new Transavia flight from Orly-Edinburgh (dep 18.25 arr 19.15). However, the only day that this works without a long stopover at Orly is a Sunday.
Lanark Lass
Rank 4
Rank 4

Scotland

Post by Lanark Lass »

Thanks for that. However, the relatively expensive flight with HOP puts us off a bit.

Something I'm exploring is train from Edinburgh to London Bridge then Easyjet from Gatwick to Montpelier and direct train to Port Vendres. Taxis in between.

I should add that the lady travelling is 83 years old (a seasoned traveller, though) who is getting over surgery and is keen to visit her flat in Port Vendres.

Will check out the Manchester -Carcassonne option too and compare.
Helen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Helen »

Just a thought if you're exploring the Easyjet Montpellier route - Easyjet also flies from Edinburgh to Gatwick at least twice a day.
rogb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rogb »

I agree that HOP has always seemed expensive in the past but our HOP tickets for December only cost 65 euros each, which isn't bad (till you convert it to pounds!)

Another fly/train option worth checking for feasibility is Edinburgh/Lyon with Easyjet and then the train through Montpellier to the PO (some TGVs stop at Lyon Airport).
Lanark Lass
Rank 4
Rank 4

Scotland

Post by Lanark Lass »

Thanks for that extra information. The Edinburgh - Lyon train to PO sounds like a good option. I'll have a look.