Spanish boarder

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

Toenail

Spanish boarder

Post by Toenail »

Hi The last time we travelled back from Spain to France on A9 Motorway in January this we got stuck in a traffic jam that stretched out several miles. this was due to the french checking passports at the boarders again Has this passport check finished or is it still on?
Thanks
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

It has finished, at least it had last week when we went over.
Dylan
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

I've been back and forth a few times recently, both on the motorway and through Le Perthus, and had no problem at all.

Having said that, traffic is beginning to build up - and no-one knows when the gendarmes might suddenly decide to do a 'contrôle', which causes the big queues!
Sus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Spanish border

Post by Sus »

Hi, I have been back and forth a few times and there is no control, I have seen cars being pulled aside at the peage though.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Kate wrote:I've been back and forth a few times recently, both on the motorway and through Le Perthus, and had no problem at all.

Having said that, traffic is beginning to build up - and no-one knows when the gendarmes might suddenly decide to do a 'contrôle', which causes the big queues!
The last crackdown was around the Paris climate change summit, so if I had to guess, the next one will start some time shortly before the Euro football competition starts, and then continue off and on while it's going on. More footy-minded people than me will know exactly when that is, but if you want to make the trip, I wouldn't hang about.
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

Sorry, could not resist this. What have passport controls to do with having a Spaniard as a paying guest?

Gus Morris.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

133 of the rest of us managed to.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Exacte!
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

the checks look to be back from yesterday....expected to last until after the Futbol and T de F finish next month. could be misery....
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

montgolfiere wrote:could be misery....
That's what I love about montgolfiere: always the optimist.

Depending on the time of day, it can be worth using the old nationale, through Le Perthus. And you would save a few groats on tolls.

Talking of tolls, has anyone worked out how to get a Spanish motorway badge, short of having a bank account there? There was some talk, years ago, of making them-interoperable with the French ones, but that went quiet. Makes you want to vote for Brexit: what are we doing chained to these no-hopers? Only kidding.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

martyn94 wrote:
Talking of tolls, has anyone worked out how to get a Spanish motorway badge, short of having a bank account there? There was some talk, years ago, of making them-interoperable with the French ones, but that went quiet. Makes you want to vote for Brexit: what are we doing chained to these no-hopers? Only kidding.
We have Spanish motorway badges in both our cars. Just so convenient. You get them from https://www.tolltickets.com/country/spa ... lang=en-GB
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Dylan