Car Registration in France

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Allan wrote:
Most cars with Xenon headlamps convert at the press of a switch and plenty of conventional headlamps have manual levers to alter them.
I had an R4, circa 1970, which worked the same way. For the price I paid, and its perfect match to my needs at the time, the best car I ever had. And the one I remember most fondly (apart from the Lanchester). Until the rear suspension collapsed. I still go past the place where it happened every few years (one of the many Chateauneufs), and always cross my fingers.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Lanchester, now that was a really well designed car in the thirties. No noticeable vibration from the engine. Centrifugal clutch and pre-selector gearbox. Well ahead of it's time.

The book "Lanchester motor cars: A History by Anthony Bird and Francis Hutton-Stott" is well worth a read if you can find a copy.

Russell
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

russell wrote:Lanchester, now that was a really well designed car in the thirties. No noticeable vibration from the engine. Centrifugal clutch and pre-selector gearbox. Well ahead of it's time.

The book "Lanchester motor cars: A History by Anthony Bird and Francis Hutton-Stott" is well worth a read if you can find a copy.

Russell
I got mine, for almost nothing, circa 1972 from the widow of a bloke with one arm (hence his desire for a pre-selector gearbox). It was quite the miniature Daimler - lots of wood and leather - though the progress was pretty stately. I had to ditch it when the main bearings ran: (just before I moved to London and didn't need a car anyway). I have often regretted (and not just financially) that I couldn't have hung on to it.
neil mitchell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by neil mitchell »

Hi Folks.
Just a quick question: If you buy a used car in France do you have to pay the cv fiscal based registration fee for the carte gris in the same way that you do if you bring a car from the UK?
I asked because the car which I imported 5 years ago needs replacing and I've seen a nice one in Perpignan. Thanks.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

The answer to your question is at the bottom of this article, I think :)
http://anglophone-direct.com/buying-a-s ... in-france/
Dylan
neil mitchell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by neil mitchell »

Thank you, so it is paid each time the car changes owner. A sort of equivalent of the UK road tax but the cost is less the longer you keep the car.