Travel back To Scotland

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

rainbow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Travel back To Scotland

Post by rainbow »

Looking for help with what's the best route with car back from Perpignan with one overnight stay in France
Best Wishes
CD
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CD »

Take the A9 north to Beziers.

A9 exit 35 - follow signs for Clermont Ferrand A75.

At Clermont-Ferrand the A75 becomes the A71. Follow signs for Orleans.

At Orleans follow signs for Paris (the A71 becomes the A10 here).

Take A10 exit 12 following signs for Chartres. You will be on the N154 all the way to Chartres.

When you get to Chartres, you take the N123 ring road around the west of the city, following the signs for Rouen, and eventually picking up the N154 again after Chartres.

At Dreux, keep following the signs for Rouen (D828 then D12).

Continue on the N12 to the next roundabout where you take the first exit signposted N154 to Evreux & Rouen (this becomes the A154).

Past Evreux, pick up the A13 signposted for Caen & Calais (NOT Paris).

Take A13 exit 22 and follow signs for Calais through Rouen.

You will pick up the A28 leaving Rouen still signposted to Calais.

After A28 exit 1 (second Abbeville exit), keep right going up hill and follow signs for A16 Calais.

Past Boulogne to Calais, take A16 exit 47 to Ferry Port.

Go to England…

Then, Scotland.

This is the cheapest and quietest route to Calais. Fewer tolls and a lot less traffic than going up the Rhone Valley to Paris.

We usually overnight near Orleans (about 7 hours from home) which is about 5 hours from Calais, so an afternoon ferry is an easy drive the next day.

The most stressful part of the trip will be the other side of the Channel!

Bon route.

Chris
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Depending on the number of passengers, the day you want to travel, and the fares they quote, stick the car on the auto train at Narbonne, take the TGV to Paris, stay the night there, and pick up your car the following morning. Google maps or viamichelin can fill in the gaps.

Or just ask google maps or viamichelin for the whole route. After various attempts to avoid Paris (or its outskirts) by passing to the west, I've concluded that it's too much like hard work unless you're a very much better mapreader than me, as CD evidently is.
Sus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sus »

CD thanks for sharing that route! I was looking for a new way to get back and forth to London and will try this one.
cufc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cufc »

Several of my friends now go Caen to Portsmouth to avoid hassle at Calais or Dunkirk, or Zeebrugge to Hull having a night on the ferry, if going North. Depends what you want to pay and which side of the Channel you want to do more driving.
CD
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CD »

If you try my route, there is cheap fuel available at the Carrefour at exit 12 of the A75, then at the HyperU at Dreux (straight on at the first roundabout at Dreux, but do check it online - it's easy to end up going to Paris by mistake!) or the LeClerc Drive after Saint-Remy-Sur-Avre and before Nonancourt (you go up a long hill at the top of which is a roundabout where you can turn left for Petrol at Leclerc).

If you're going to the Calais Ferry, the closest cheap fuel is at Carrefour Calais (exit 3 of the N216 spur to the Ferry, direction Centre Ville).

From our perspective, this route makes the journey less stressful. There are a lot of toll free autoroutes, a fun drive up the Massif Central, the iconic Millau Viaduct, quieter roads and a lot of the N roads are now dual carriageway.

The worst bit is from Clemont Ferrand to Orleans, which is a bit flat and boring.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

CD wrote:
From our perspective, this route makes the journey less stressful. There are a lot of toll free autoroutes, a fun drive up the Massif Central, the iconic Millau Viaduct, quieter roads and a lot of the N roads are now dual carriageway.
I don't follow your route in the more northern parts, but I certainly use the A75. I generally avoid the "iconic Millau viaduct" (which is nothing much if you just cross it, and don't stop to admire) by the expedient of spending the night in Millau (at least when coming South). It was pretty hellish before the viaduct, but has returned to being a pleasant little town: a decent market if you can arrange to pass on a Friday morning; excellent mutton, if that's what you like; and every brand of Roquefort cheese known to man.
rainbow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Traveling back to Scotland

Post by rainbow »

Thank you for all the advice still not pick route yet, (Will use Sat Nav) although I will be staying in hotel in Tours, then Calais via Eurotunne , hotel in Rugby then Edinburgh then north To Ross-Shire.
Best Wishes